What collar?

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

What collar?

Postby cutty72 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Greetings all!
So here's my situation.
I just got a new pup, DD, 4 months old now so won't get hard into training until after the season.
Also have 2 experienced dogs. 11 year old Lab, and an 8 year old GWP/lab mix.
I currently have 2 Classic 70 TT collars that I use, and a beeper that I put on the GWP as she points.
These collars were purchased before Garmin bought TT out..

My dilema now is, the Classic 70 is no more (from what I can see), replaced by the Pro 70, so I can't get an additional collar and beeper for my DD.
Also, not sure if I want to continue on with the beeper vs GPS, as the new beepers are not as good as the old ones. They seem to be hard to hear if in deep cover or wind.

That being said, I'm kind of looking at the Pro 550+ for my DD and use one of the Classic 70 for training purposes to relieve excess wear on the GPS collar.
Thoughts? Reviews on the 550 + ?

Appreciate any help I can get.
Axel - DD
Luci - GWP/Lab
Jozie - Black Lab
cutty72
Pup
Pup

Re: What collar?

Postby JONOV » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:42 am

cutty72 wrote:Greetings all!
So here's my situation.
I just got a new pup, DD, 4 months old now so won't get hard into training until after the season.
Also have 2 experienced dogs. 11 year old Lab, and an 8 year old GWP/lab mix.
I currently have 2 Classic 70 TT collars that I use, and a beeper that I put on the GWP as she points.
These collars were purchased before Garmin bought TT out..

My dilema now is, the Classic 70 is no more (from what I can see), replaced by the Pro 70, so I can't get an additional collar and beeper for my DD.
Also, not sure if I want to continue on with the beeper vs GPS, as the new beepers are not as good as the old ones. They seem to be hard to hear if in deep cover or wind.

That being said, I'm kind of looking at the Pro 550+ for my DD and use one of the Classic 70 for training purposes to relieve excess wear on the GPS collar.
Thoughts? Reviews on the 550 + ?

Appreciate any help I can get.

Everyone that I know that has a 550+ loves it. I have an Alpha and wish I had a 550+.

All that being said...If I only needed GPS capabilities....I'd get the Dogtra pathfinder. For the "best use" of a GPS collar, the app, with an iPhone in airplane mode especially, works very well and conserves battery all day.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:01 am

I have a 550, an Alpha and a 550+. Had the 550 first, then bought an Alpha so I could have ecollar and gps in a single collar and transmitter. Used the Alpha extensively for hunting, got along with it ok, but never liked it. The touch screen is in a word AWEFUL. Then when the 550+ came out, I bought the transmitter as it is compatible with the collars I already had. I bought the full size collars originally but when I got a puppy I bought a mini so I could use it on the pup when it was still small. Since using the mini I have never gone back to the full size collars and have suffered no loss of performance ever using the mini.

The 550 and 550+ are excellent for training and hunting. Full range of stimulation levels and simple to use without taking my eyes off the dog. The benefit of the wider range of stimulation levels is not that you will use them all, but rather having more levels allows you to make a more perfect match to the stimulation level that is most optimal to training a specific dog in a specific moment of training e.g. low level FF training, Low to mid level steadiness training, higher level trash breaking ...

I use the 550 for waterfowl hunting and the 550+ for all other hunting. The GPS has functioned as designed from Canada to Texas, wide open country to the dense cover. No complaints, no problems and no desire for anything different is my input.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby cutty72 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 am

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys.

My need for GPS is to find the dog, specifically when on point.
Hunting in ND we are often in heavy cattails up to my eyeballs, tough to see where your dog is in that, much less if he's on point!
Axel - DD
Luci - GWP/Lab
Jozie - Black Lab
cutty72
Pup
Pup

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions