Waterfowl vest

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Waterfowl vest

Postby Sooty42 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:36 am

What neoprene vest(s) would you say fits a v dog body style best and are also a quality vest? I’m not finding many vest that have a size which fits both my dogs neck and chest. One I tried on him fit well in the chest but was loose and bunched up around the front neck area? The Browning neoprene vest looks like it is fairly customizable but it has a few bad reviews for durability. The Avery boaters vest seems good, but I feel like my dog is between sizes. What do y’all think?
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Waterfowl vest

Postby Deacon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:07 pm

I like the Browning a lot for fit. I have 2 and they get fairly heavy use. 1 of them did tear a seem after 2 or 3 seasons. The Avery is built very well but they don't fit my pudelpointers well.

59.JPG
Deacon
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dmog » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:10 pm

I am going to try out the Ducks Unlimited Deluxe model(Mud River) on my PP this year. I like it so far as it is 9mm thick but is pretty open on my girl's neck as she has more of an English Pointer body, will have to trim it up some there and at the shoulder openings a little. I bought one of these for my Griff but he is built more like a Lab and the measured size of XL did not fit him in his chest, couldn't get the sucker zipped but the neck and legs were perfect. Gave that one away to a buddy. Funny thing is I said to myself, the wooly Griff doesn't need a vest, been hunting for 5 years without one. Went opening Teal hunting in 90 degree weather and decided not to take the dog bench to get him out of the water, public land, hiking in and wanted less to carry. He got pretty cold standing in the 15" of water all morning. Felt kinda bad I didn't get him out of the water on his bench or have a vest on him. He just kept saying "if you would just hit the ducks your shooting at, I wouldn't get so cold!"
Last edited by Dmog on Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:20 pm

I use the browning. After two seasons it’s about done. That said, most neoprene waders that I’ve had would be too.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:28 pm

I like the thickness and quality of the Avery Vest but the fit was impossible for my GWP. His Chest requires an xx-Large but the neck opening was double what it needed to be. The Wife cut and sewed darts around the neck area to reduce that opening to a workable size and it has worked well.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will give the Browning vest a try. Have you found it true to size? I saw a few reviews that said it ran a little small.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JONOV » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Sooty42 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I will give the Browning vest a try. Have you found it true to size? I saw a few reviews that said it ran a little small.

Yes, especially for a non-lab build.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Fun Dog » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:17 pm

I had to buy an extra large to fit my petite GSP with a deep chest. Then I cut it down and sewed it back together for a decent fit.
Dori
Fun Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mastercaster » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:17 pm

I have two different Banded vests,,,,a 3mm and a 5mm for much colder water. I found the browning vest fit well but it had poor torso coverage. My griff is about 48-49 pounds so I bought the Banded vests in medium. The thing with all these neoprene vests is that they're made for retrievers so they almost always need to be modified at the neck, plus the leg holes need to be cut away some so there's no rubbing.

It's an easy ten minute job but you need to have the black neoprene cement to glue the edges back together. Add a few cross stitches to give it additional strength or just hand stitch the whole seam. Both my dog's vest fit like those an olympic swimmer would wear,,,,,no bagginess at all.

5mm Banded for icy cold water:

0-44.jpg
0-44.jpg (90.25 KiB) Viewed 123 times

3mm banded for cold water:

0-25.jpg
0-25.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 123 times
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:26 pm

I am skeptical any brand fits the average GWP, DD, PP without modifications. They are simply built different than the Labs which those vests are designed for. I compared the neck, chest and waist openings of the Browning to the Avery which I use and they are near identical.

Just this last week the Wife altered a new Avery for my GWP. Before and after photos.

Note the huge neck opening and the loose fit around the shoulders and waist. But this is the size needed to fit his deep top to bottom chest.

Post alterations with darts cut and sewn in the neck, top of the leg openings and bottom of the waist. Fits like a glove now. Those Averys hold up really well.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:54 pm

You can imagine how cumbersome it would be for a versatile to have to wear an unaltered vest trying to swim through water with a baggy neck opening. It would sure be a lot more work for the dog! And it would be way less warm, too.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:42 pm

For sure Mastercaster.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:48 am

One thing to look at as well is the armpits. It was not noticeable at the house but the armpits were too tight on my dogs and I ended up having to cut a bit out when I noticed his armpits were losing hair and getting a red rash from rubbing.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:07 am

JONOV wrote:One thing to look at as well is the armpits. It was not noticeable at the house but the armpits were too tight on my dogs and I ended up having to cut a bit out when I noticed his armpits were losing hair and getting a red rash from rubbing.

Yep had to cut out quite a bit on mine, may trim some more.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deacon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:21 pm

I have had to cut the armpits on every vest I have had (Cabelas, Avery, and Browning) The chaffing can shut a dog down completely.

Average Guy,

The Browning's neck is adjustable. It fits my dogs necks, and stomachs, far better than the Avery. The Avery fits my dogs exactly as your "before" photo
Deacon
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion