Collar questions

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Collar questions

Postby birdawgs » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:42 pm

I currently run my older dog with a Garmin Alpha 100, he has been trained for a long time and has never been stimulated with this collar, I find the collar is great for an occasional reminder if needed in the field but awkward for everyday training and not to mention not ideal for waterfowling.
I've got a new pup and looking for a training collar.
Looking for one with a lot of stimulation levels, range not very important, user friendly a must,durable, and holds a charge for a good bit, and not looking to break the bank.
Which one?
birdawgs
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Collar questions

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:23 pm

I have Garmin 550, an Alpha and a 550 Plus. The 550 is the best for training and waterfowl hunting in my opinion/experience. The 550 Plus is very close to identical with the 550 for training, it has GPS location of your dog capabilities and is compatible with the collars you are using with your Alpha so all you would have to buy is the transmitter.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby birdawgs » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:59 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I have Garmin 550, an Alpha and a 550 Plus. The 550 is the best for training and waterfowl hunting in my opinion/experience. The 550 Plus is very close to identical with the 550 for training, it has GPS location of your dog capabilities and is compatible with the collars you are using with your Alpha so all you would have to buy is the transmitter.

I just think the collars are to big and the antenna a pia for waterfowl work in the nasty beaver ponds, plus the transmitter for a 550 will cost as much as a whole different setup
birdawgs
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:44 pm

birdawgs wrote:
AverageGuy wrote:I have Garmin 550, an Alpha and a 550 Plus. The 550 is the best for training and waterfowl hunting in my opinion/experience. The 550 Plus is very close to identical with the 550 for training, it has GPS location of your dog capabilities and is compatible with the collars you are using with your Alpha so all you would have to buy is the transmitter.

I just think the collars are to big and the antenna a pia for waterfowl work in the nasty beaver ponds, plus the transmitter for a 550 will cost as much as a whole different setup

Which is why I use mini collars vs full size when using the 550 Plus for upland bird hunting, and why I use the 550 when training and hunting waterfowl. Lots of cheaper priced AND cheaper quality products out there. When asked I recommend what I buy and use myself.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:51 am

For training I have a pro 550. I also have the sport pro. It operates the same collars as the 550. The transmitter is markedly smaller and lighter but you give up some range. The sport pro is what I prefer when hunting. I would not feel handicapped if the sport pro was all I had. For upland and tracking I also use an Astro 430. I really like the 430. My dog wears the full size collar in combination with an e-collar without any problems. I can operate any of the transmitters wearing gloves.
If I were re-tooling, I would probably try a 550 plus for upland/tracking. A single collar and transmitter would be nice. I would miss the hunt metrics. I would also miss marking up the map with waypoints, earmarking habitat where I find birds. I would likely just use a sport pro for training and retriever work. I like the small transmitter well enough to give up a little range.
When I contemplate whether or not one transmitter would be worth what I’m giving up, I can’t help but shake my head and think about all the good times I have had bird hunting with only a leather collar with a brass name plate. Heaven help us.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:51 am

birdawgs wrote:I currently run my older dog with a Garmin Alpha 100, he has been trained for a long time and has never been stimulated with this collar, I find the collar is great for an occasional reminder if needed in the field but awkward for everyday training and not to mention not ideal for waterfowling.
I've got a new pup and looking for a training collar.
Looking for one with a lot of stimulation levels, range not very important, user friendly a must,durable, and holds a charge for a good bit, and not looking to break the bank.
Which one?

First, let me say that paying for a quality collar is the best investment you'll make. You'll have that collar 20 years if you take care of it. Maybe more.

Second, the collar and antenna are not too big. If you want the antenna shorter, tuck it under the dog's regular collar or take an electrical tie and cinch it to the collar at the length you want. Because you hunt beaver ponds doesn't mean you may not get a "sailor" and need the range. Better to have range and not need it than need it and not have it.

Three, get them Garmin 550+. You will then have a truly dual purpose collar. If I wanted to keep price down more, I'd opt for the 70.

And fourth, no one needs a lot of stimulation levels. That's the mfgs. BS. I can train any dog with six levels. KISS.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:25 am

What antenna on a TT or Garmin collar? - they've been gone for years.

I'm with GH on the levels needed, but if you're light on the trigger, the Dogtra Arc is a smaller receiver with a rheostat transmitter that goes up to 127 levels and preferred by more than a few retriever folks for hunt tests and waterfowling. For what it's worth, I used the Arc's predecessor on field trial dogs for years and it was sufficient for my needs and my dogs' temperaments.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:43 am

crackerd wrote:What antenna on a TT or Garmin collar? - they've been gone for years.

I'm with GH on the levels needed, but if you're light on the trigger, the Dogtra Arc is a smaller receiver with a rheostat transmitter that goes up to 127 levels and preferred by more than a few retriever folks for hunt tests and waterfowling. For what it's worth, I used the Arc's predecessor on field trial dogs for years and it was sufficient for my needs and my dogs' temperaments.

MG

He's talking about the collars for the Alpha and the 550 Plus. The antennas are flexible and really don't get in the way IMO.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 am

ryanr wrote:
crackerd wrote:What antenna on a TT or Garmin collar? - they've been gone for years.

He's talking about the collars for the Alpha and the 550 Plus. The antennas are flexible and really don't get in the way.

Thanks, I use the 550 Plus for retriever training as do many, but never knew it also came with a tracking antenna.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:36 am

birdawgs wrote:

If you don't need the map functionality of the Alpha, sell the alpha. As has also been said, a collar keeper/zip tie does a good job of keeping it contained.

I like the Dogtra's for a pure training collar perspective. I had a Sportdog and have been happy with the support they provide their customers. The product? It's nice because it's small-ish, light, user friendly. I had a few more breakdowns than I'd like including one that caused me to take a three-four week break in force fetching when it started randomly stimulating causing confusion for both the dog and I.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:03 pm

crackerd wrote:
ryanr wrote:

He's talking about the collars for the Alpha and the 550 Plus. The antennas are flexible and really don't get in the way.

Thanks, I use the 550 Plus for retriever training as do many, but never knew it also came with a tracking antenna.

MG

You might be thinking of the 550.

The 550 Plus recently came out and features the same training function as the 550 but it also has a GPS feature (simpler function than the Alpha and its bells and whistles) and uses the same collars: either a TT15 or TT15 Mini.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:06 pm

ryanr wrote:
crackerd wrote:Thanks, I use the 550 Plus for retriever training as do many, but never knew it also came with a tracking antenna.

You might be thinking of the 550.

The 550 Plus recently came out and features the same training function as the 550 but it also has a GPS feature (simpler function than the Alpha and its bells and whistles) and uses the same collars: either a TT15 or TT15 Mini.

Mea culpa, you are correct -

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion