Pudlepointer breeder

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pudlepointer breeder

Postby Jjjones » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:58 pm

Good day everyone. I'm a avid duck hunter and would like to get back into grouse hunting. I am in the process of putting a down payment on a pudelpointer. I have narrowed it down to Pineridge puddlepointers in Ontario & Finn Renard in Quebec. I would appreciate any + or - on either breeder.

Thank you.
Jjjones
Pup
Pup

Re: Pudlepointer breeder

Postby hunter94 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 am

Pine-ridge and Dream Works.
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 am

Anyone from NAPPA.... Between the two you mentioned, would go with Finn Renard. I’m not a PP guy but I pay attention to stuff. May not be worth a whole lot.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hunter94 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:31 am

There're several exceptional breeders outside of NAPPA that follow the breed standards and even work with alliance breeders but never overlook a pedigree. Look for depth and a kennels commitment to testing in addition to test scores. Building a strong relationship with a reputable breeder will present opportunities in your search. Good luck!

the above is from a post on this site.......pretty good advice. always talk to the breeder and ask about testing and their standards.
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:32 pm

I would say test scores and titles are helpful, but are only part of the equation to consider. I'd suggest that you look for a breeder whose only criteria is not simply breeding the highest titled dogs, but one that looks at the traits of dogs being bred with more scrutiny as far as how they actually hunt. One that honestly evaluates them in the field and water under true hunting conditions. I've put top NA and UT prizes on dogs and seen many other top scoring dogs. While its true that great dogs will often do well in tests if trained properly, not all top titled dogs are great hunting dogs. Scores and prizes provide useful information, but after that it must be determined what each dog does in actual hunting conditions (hunting wild birds, durability on longer hunts in the uplands, cold water retrieves on ducks, etc.) to determine what male/female pairings are most likely to produce top quality hunting dogs. Hope that makes sense.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:00 pm

JTracyII wrote:I would say test scores and titles are helpful, but are only part of the equation to consider. I'd suggest that you look for a breeder whose only criteria is not simply breeding the highest titled dogs, but one that looks at the traits of dogs being bred with more scrutiny as far as how they actually hunt. One that honestly evaluates them in the field and water under true hunting conditions. I've put top NA and UT prizes on dogs and seen many other top scoring dogs. While its true that great dogs will often do well in tests if trained properly, not all top titled dogs are great hunting dogs. Scores and prizes provide useful information, but after that it must be determined what each dog does in actual hunting conditions (hunting wild birds, durability on longer hunts in the uplands, cold water retrieves on ducks, etc.) to determine what male/female pairings are most likely to produce top quality hunting dogs. Hope that makes sense.

Oh Yea, it makes a lot of sense.

Been putting on some major miles hunting Prairie Grouse living out of a motel and dog box respectively the last 5 days in a row. You learn alot about your dog under those conditions. I have seen numerous different dogs working for Prairie Grouse and they all demonstrate that finding, scenting and getting stopped in time/distance from the bird so as to not put a single in the air is a challenge for them all, at times.

Dogs that their owners and trainers have video on their phone of the dog standing tall on point, steady to WSF in their training bird work this summer, running through wild grouse on the prairie multiple times in a day ... Watching ole Spud rise and stretch out of his dog box for another drop on the Prairie, rail thin and bone tired but still eager for more miles and more birds ...

Yep Makes perfect sense JT2.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:23 pm

Best to hunt with the prospective dam/sire but, in lieu of that, get advice from others who know the breeder and their dogs. You could also send a PM to some on this board as they may be willing to say more in a private conversation. Good luck!
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion