Idaho Grouse Opener

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Idaho Grouse Opener

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:10 am

Season on mountain grouse opened here on the 30th, on Friday. Seeing as how I have this stupid thing called a job that prevents me from taking any day off I please, I had to wait until Saturday to get the dogs on the ground with a shotgun in hand. Gave Rowdy first crack at the birds on Saturday morning. He pointed 2 family groups of ruffs, over the course of 12 dog miles covered. I fired one shot at the only bird that provided a shot and made sure that a birch tree was cured of its Acute Lead Deficiency. After getting back to the truck I took Misty, my setter out to a different spot I had scouted some birds in. She was not too sure about the busting brush at first as I had to show her where I wanted her to go, by walking there myself, and the productivity of the hunt was somewhat lacking. More like a shin-busting walk with a gun and dog than anything else.

Then this morning, on Sunday I took the dogs to a completely different area. I gave Misty first crack at it and she did okay. Hunted a better than she did yesterday although I still had to show her where I wanted her by getting off the logging road. Finally after about an hour and a half she pointed her first wild bird ever, a single, mature ruff that provided me with a brief snap shot, which I of course missed. Got back to the truck and drove down the road another 1/2 mile to a different logging road where I let Rowdy out on. His first bird of the day he bumped by accident. A few minutes later he went on point and I walked in. A single grouse flushed providing me with no shot, followed by a second grouse, which I was able to knock down on the second shot.

You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Idaho Grouse Opener

Postby Willie T » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:46 am

Nice Rowdy. That looks like a good time.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:38 am

Ah... The beauty of the woods. Thanks for the photos.

Living vicariously through all of you.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:11 pm

nice hunt! thanks
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 pm

Awesome, at least you got to hunt SAT & SUN , I am still at work until next WED.
How come you don't hunt both dogs together ? Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Drahthaar1108 wrote:Awesome, at least you got to hunt SAT & SUN , I am still at work until next WED.

Mainly because I only have one GPS/e-collar. Planning on getting a second Alpha as soon as money allows.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:36 am

RowdyGSP wrote:
Drahthaar1108 wrote:Awesome, at least you got to hunt SAT & SUN , I am still at work until next WED.

Mainly because I only have one GPS/e-collar. Planning on getting a second Alpha as soon as money allows.

Just add a second TT15 collar ($300) and pair it your existing Alpha unit. You don't need to buy a second Alpha.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:42 pm

That is a good reason not to hunt both dogs together. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:28 am

ryan, $300 is out of my price range at the moment. I live in North Idaho and am poor.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 am

RowdyGSP wrote:ryan, $300 is out of my price range at the moment. I live in North Idaho and am poor.

Oh hey man I know what you mean, just didn't want you to think you needed to spend even more getting another Alpha. For almost 2 years now I've been swapping one GPS collar between two dogs just like you. I just finally saved up enough to add a TT15 Mini collar for my younger, smaller dog and thought I was all set but now the original collar that came with my Alpha bundle won't hold a charge, the rechargeable battery is finally dead. I have the original TT10 collar and would like to upgrade with a TT15 but I can't afford another $300 right now so I'm replacing the battery pack on the old collar instead.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:31 pm

Ahh the joys of electronics and spending money on dogs huh? I decided against my Montana trip in favor of super remote backcountry blues, ruffs and spruce here in Idaho for this next week. My buddy runs plott hounds up here and is letting me borrow an extra collar for this trip so I'll hunt both dogs together some.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Beautiful country and Dog.

A veteran bird dog guy has been hunting in MT since the opener and posting a daily report. He is finding a decent amount of sharptails and huns so far.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:32 pm

Yeah Kent I'd be in MT right now if I didn't toss a belt on my truck which the repairs cut into my rainy day fund for the trip. Kind of bummed, but there are worse places to be than the blue grouse mountains of Idaho.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:13 am

RowdyGSP wrote:Yeah Kent I'd be in MT right now if I didn't toss a belt on my truck which the repairs cut into my rainy day fund for the trip. Kind of bummed, but there are worse places to be than the blue grouse mountains of Idaho.

You are so right about that! To have the legs and opportunity to be hunting in those mountains is truly a Blessing my Friend.

The knowledge and ability to read the habitat needs of the forest grouse would seem to be essential as there is a lot of territory to cover otherwise.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 am

Blue grouse are probably my favorite bird, but I find it frustrating trying to find them. I bust my but to get up high and try to find them on open ridge tops but they are never there. I get into them every once in a while down lower hanging with the ruffies. These seem to be the family groups. Some day I’ll find myself a big mature male Blue.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Hunting & Firearms