Snake Training

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Snake Training

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:17 pm

Made a quick run to the Prairie for some Rattlesnake avoidance training. Did the same thing this time last year. Proved unnecessary as Spud showed he retained his training from last year and he wanted no part of that snake. He went directly away and hide behind the handler the moment he hit the scent cone. Ran and jumped in the back of my truck when I released him. Not fun but glad to do what I can to avoid getting my dog bit.

I snapped a poor quality photo of the snake as I went by. It was an excellent performer, standing tall in a tight S rattling for all it was worth.

Made a 3 drops on the prairie while we were there and found birds at each.

This was a late hatch brood of pheasants.

Had a couple of broods of Prairie Chickens here. Good photo was impossible.

Will be hunting in a week and looking forward to it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Snake Training

Postby J D Patrick » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:35 pm

good stuff

Earl and I just got back from a round in a 3 year old clearcut - no snakes or birds found,,,such is life (on the birds) here abouts, but we have contingency plans coming up shortly!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:03 pm

I took cricket for a refresher this month as well. Wish I had a captive porky to do the same with...
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:12 am

Willie T wrote:I took cricket for a refresher this month as well. Wish I had a captive porky to do the same with...

I have a porky in the freezer. I will thaw it out and give Spud a downwind experience. Last time I did it he ducked and went the other way. Not as good as a live one by any means but the best I can do living where there are none. Last encounter he had while hunting indicates if I can do better at reading him when he is staring at a porky buried in the cover we can avoid getting quills. I got a correction in on that last one and he ducked out at about 60 yards when we passed downwind back by the area on the way back to the truck.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Funny you mention porcupines. Took the dogs up top for run in the fields on the edge of some grouse cover. No plan to go back into the cover yet but it's a nice set of grass fields to run. They were ahead about 150 yards or so and I saw my older dog stop and start sniffing something. I couldn't see it, maybe something dead. Then I saw the older dog turn and retreat away from it. At that point and from his body language I had a strong feeling. My younger dog was there and sniffing and she followed suit just as he did and left it. Then she turned back and I gave her a NO and she listened. As I got closer my suspicion was confirmed- yup, a medium sized porcupine ambling along on the edge of the field.

I was glad to see my older dog still appears to have learned his lesson with porcupines and wants to avoid them. I led my younger one back across the scent cone hoping to get a correction if she turned toward it but she avoided it (she's never had any aversive training on this but she did have one previous encounter last year, 6 quills in her muzzle.) Hopefully this bodes well for the upcoming hunting season.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:52 am

them porkies are on my mind,,,,well used to them growing up in Wisconsin but none around here,,,heading to Michigan (UP) in early October,,,Earl may have some learning to do,,

gonna have the tools etc to take care of it, as well as vet locations,,,but still

not gonna not go,,but have to admit just a might worried for my buddy
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:16 am

Ryan, It sounds like your dogs are in pretty good shape relative to the porkys.

JD, Yea it is a concern. Spud has gotten quills twice. Second time was bad, had not hunted but a couple of minutes as we just got started that morning, 100 yards from the truck, by myself, quills inside and outside the mouth, impossible to control the dog enough to get them out by myself, 1.5 hours to the vet. I am surprised there are not more avoidance training available as there are with the rattlers, but I hear those porkys are difficult to handle is part of the reason. Apparently they can chew through anything and the obvious challenges of laying hands on one. No idea on the legal aspects of it. We drove to Boise and did one session but it was using a taxidermy porky and it was not effective for Spud. I wear leather gloves every time I handle my road killed porky, grabbing it by the hind leg but get a few quills each time.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ckirsch » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:42 pm

I've had my two pointers vaccinated for snake bite, and have them on some snakes that I caught. (I duct-taped the snakes' heads prior to introducing them to the dogs.) I'm still left to wonder what percentage of bites occur when a dog is simply running through cover and inadvertently passes too close to a snake without any idea it was there. I'm amazed that I've not had a dog bitten, as rattlesnakes are pretty common here in western South Dakota. I came across two pretty good-sized ones in the past week and had nothing in the four-wheeler with which to kill them, so unfortunately both got away while I was searching for rocks to pitch at them. I have to think that my dogs' luck is going to run out at some point....
ckirsch
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:02 am

AverageGuy wrote:Ryan, It sounds like your dogs are in pretty good shape relative to the porkys.

JD, Yea it is a concern. Spud has gotten quills twice. Second time was bad, had not hunted but a couple of minutes as we just got started that morning, 100 yards from the truck, by myself, quills inside and outside the mouth, impossible to control the dog enough to get them out by myself, 1.5 hours to the vet. I am surprised there are not more avoidance training available as there are with the rattlers, but I hear those porkys are difficult to handle is part of the reason. Apparently they can chew through anything and the obvious challenges of laying hands on one. No idea on the legal aspects of it. We drove to Boise and did one session but it was using a taxidermy porky and it was not effective for Spud. I wear leather gloves every time I handle my road killed porky, grabbing it by the hind leg but get a few quills each time.

I skinned one once to eat (not bad actually),,,folks ask "how you skin one",,,, I say "very carefully"

them quills come off in a heartbeat

I have a plan to deal with them,,,time will tell if it's a good one or not - which reminds me, need to call the vet today about possibilities
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Training