Whoa confusion with steady before fetch

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Whoa confusion with steady before fetch

Postby Dmog » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:00 pm

I have been working with my PP in the yard on Whoa. Started at heel stopping her with a whoa and once she understood whoa and was standing reliable, I over laid the ecollar with continuous stimulation until movement stopped. Going great, standing still almost in a pointing stance while I kick the grass and toss some fluttering paper. I am thinking we are ready for bird contact but want to do this carefully as to not risk any future blinking on birds. Prey drive is good and has chased many a bird. The problem I noticed as last night I went to finish the yard training with some fun retrieving and she has been forced fetch to stand still by my side until I send her with "fetch". FF was overlaid with the ecollar. Well I tossed the bumper and then commanded fetch, she stayed frozen by my side like I had commander her to whoa. I was about to stimulate her with the ecollar when I realized that would not be good as I was just stimulating her to stand still. So I heeled her to get her moving then commanded fetch and she fetched the bumper and brought it back and held it until I had her release it. I see my error and why some people teach whoa with the ecollar on the flank now. I obviously am not going to confuse her by doing retrieving drills when we are working on whoa but any suggestions on how to transition back to ecollar reliability on both. In the hunting field the ecollar will be on her neck and I will expect her to respond to the command whoa or fetch as trained and be able to entice compliance with the ecollar if need be. I was sure she was solid on the fetch command but that confusion is on me and want to think through this situation before blundering any further.

It just dawned on me after posting this that I started whoaing her from my left side at heel. Fetch command is typically given after stopping her from heel on my left side before fetch command is given. This might be the source of confusion.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Whoa confusion with steady before fetch

Postby orhunter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:09 pm

I think it's to early to work on two things at once. When the dog has whoa down pat and the e-collar is no longer needed, that's the time to add another drill. I wouldn't think the use of an e-collar indicates reliability.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Dmog wrote:I have been working with my PP in the yard on Whoa. Started at heel stopping her with a whoa and once she understood whoa and was standing reliable, I over laid the ecollar with continuous stimulation until movement stopped. Going great, standing still almost in a pointing stance while I kick the grass and toss some fluttering paper. I am thinking we are ready for bird contact but want to do this carefully as to not risk any future blinking on birds. Prey drive is good and has chased many a bird. The problem I noticed as last night I went to finish the yard training with some fun retrieving and she has been forced fetch to stand still by my side until I send her with "fetch". FF was overlaid with the ecollar. Well I tossed the bumper and then commanded fetch, she stayed frozen by my side like I had commander her to whoa. I was about to stimulate her with the ecollar when I realized that would not be good as I was just stimulating her to stand still. So I heeled her to get her moving then commanded fetch and she fetched the bumper and brought it back and held it until I had her release it. I see my error and why some people teach whoa with the ecollar on the flank now. I obviously am not going to confuse her by doing retrieving drills when we are working on whoa but any suggestions on how to transition back to ecollar reliability on both. In the hunting field the ecollar will be on her neck and I will expect her to respond to the command whoa or fetch as trained and be able to entice compliance with the ecollar if need be. I was sure she was solid on the fetch command but that confusion is on me and want to think through this situation before blundering any further.
It just dawned on me after posting this that I started whoaing her from my left side at heel. Fetch command is typically given after stopping her from heel on my left side before fetch command is given. This might be the source of confusion.

Hann places the collar on the neck and uses continuous stimulation for everything. I asked how he got around the confusion similar to your issue and he told me the dog learns by the situation what the stim means.The Smith System uses the flank collar and continuous stim for their stop cue. Lindley uses the neck collar but teaches stop to nick (Momentary) for his stop and stand cue. I have used each of the different methods but prefer Lindley's and I introduce the whoa cue from the heeling position. That's pretty much your choices for the stop (whoa) cue.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:50 am

Dmog,

I train Whoa and FF in similar ways to your approach using low levels of continuous stimulation on the dog's neck. When my dog was a little sticky on releasing to retrieve I used a light tap on the top of his head as a physical additional release que, as well as I made sure my voice was projected directly downward towards him when I gave him the command to fetch. I was able to wean off the head tap and just use the voice command over time as he became more conditioned and confident the voice command was releasing him to retrieve. I train the Whoa first at a young age and then an ecollar overlay form of FF later to avoid confusing the dog by working them both at this time.

Consistency and patience will clean it up.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 am

With the exception of the current dog, which I got at 14 months old, I always taught whoa from a fairly young age. First while walking on leash (not at heel), and then off as soon as the dog began to understand the concept. None ever confused walking at heel with whoa, and never needed a shock collar.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dmog » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:08 am

AverageGuy wrote:Dmog,

I train Whoa and FF in similar ways to your approach using low levels of continuous stimulation on the dog's neck. When my dog was a little sticky on releasing to retrieve I used a light tap on the top of his head as a physical additional release que, as well as I made sure my voice was projected directly downward towards him when I gave him the command to fetch. I was able to wean off the head tap and just use the voice command over time as he became more conditioned and confident the voice command was releasing him to retrieve. I train the Whoa first at a young age and then an ecollar overlay form of FF later to avoid confusing the dog by working them both at this time.

Consistency and patience will clean it up.

Thanks this is a great idea. I need a better release cue. I worked her a short session on whoa last night and did not use the ecollar at all. I dont think I am in as much trouble as I first thought as we plan to work through whoa then steadiness. I will then clean up fetch with physical touch to the head for release and use a bird as this will jazz her up to go retrieve. Bumpers she associates with training most the time unless I plan a little better and get her jazzed up before the retrieving session.
Coveyrise64 wrote:Hann places the collar on the neck and uses continuous stimulation for everything. I asked how he got around the confusion similar to your issue and he told me the dog learns by the situation what the stim means.The Smith System uses the flank collar and continuous stim for their stop cue. Lindley uses the neck collar but teaches stop to nick (Momentary) for his stop and stand cue. I have used each of the different methods but prefer Lindley's and I introduce the whoa cue from the heeling position. That's pretty much your choices for the stop (whoa) cue.
cr

Thanks Coveyrise64! I found this info very useful. I have been using Hann's Perfect Start and like his training methods but now that I am started, I see a benefit to Lindley's cue and will see if I am too late to switch the overlay ecollar stim. I dont think I am as I have only continous stim her on whoa about 4 times and the last two have been such short durations that in essences they were nicks.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:22 am

I keep my e-collar on continuous only.The first time I added some dead bird retrieves as a reward (my mentor was the one that brought out the dead birds, said she'll be more excited to do it) after we'd been working Whoa and my dog was a little hesitant not wanting to make a mistake I kinda did as AG does, except I default to brushing the ear as gave the Fetch command. She understood then. Like AG said, consistency and a little patience and cleans right up.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:51 am

Dmog, you hear people throw around the term balanced training. In this instance, transition to a remote whoa. Keep sessions short. Reward the dog at the end of each session with a "fun bumper".
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Dmog, Shouldnt need to use the flank collar. We dont use them on retreivers and wouldnt you risk confusion down the road when you transition off the flank collar? I agree with Willie. More drills on whoa away from you. Whoa the dog, walk away a short distance and call the dog, then give whoa command before he get to you. Work on longer and longer distances.

You can also stop him when he returns with a bumper. I start the dogs pretty early with this one. Ill have them sit on the return, then throw another bumper. let them mark it, recall the dog and send for the last bumper. Whatever drills you can think of.

I dont like tapping the head, cant imagine having to go back to the dog to release?? Should be able to voice release with no issues.

I use continuous for initial training off commands but you really want to get away and got to nicks, the nick feature was developed for pointers so they could nick the dog when it moved on a bird without overwhelming it. Just a reminder. If you do enough work on whoa away from birds the dog wont associate the correction with the bird.

And good job on recognizing the confusion and evaluating!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:36 pm

I really don't know where this stuff about the ecollar on the flank came from. A retriever learns every command he ever learns wearing an ecollar on the neck and is never confused. Once the pointing dog is trained, he'll work with a collar on his neck, not his flank. Put the damned collar on his neck and leave it there. You may get confused, the dog won't.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:29 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:I really don't know where this stuff about the e collar on the flank came from. A retriever learns every command he ever learns wearing an e collar on the neck and is never confused. Once the pointing dog is trained, he'll work with a collar on his neck, not his flank. Put the damned collar on his neck and leave it there. You may get confused, the dog won't.

Pretty sure the flank e collar set up came from teaching the dog to whoa using the "Whoa Post" method where you loop a long check cord around the dog's waist lead it away from the post and when the rope tightens around the dog's flank he ends up having to whoa. Using the e collar around the flank is the last part of the process and is supposed to emulate the same thing.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Training