GPS/Tracker Recommendations

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

GPS/Tracker Recommendations

Postby gjw » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi all, I'm looking for a GPS tracker for my GSP's.  What I'm looking for is one without all the bells and whistles.  Don't need maps, fences, stimulation etc.  Just something very basic and simple.  Something that just shows where the dog is.

Not looking at Astro's, Pathfinders or Alpha's

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Greg
gjw
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: GPS/Tracker Recommendations

Postby jfwhit » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:56 am

Garmin pro550 plus
jfwhit
Started
Started

Postby mtlhdr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:54 pm

I'd consider a used Astro 320/DC40 combo. I absolutely love mine and only use it to track and keep an eye on the dogs mileage.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am

jfwhit wrote:Garmin pro550 plus

+1. Just saw my first one in action this weekend. I have an Alpha now but I think I'm switching just for the ease of use although the one extra feature I like on the Alpha is the "Mark Truck Location" but I could live without it (i hope, LOL.) I'm also not sure if the 550 Plus has the ability to track total miles run on a hunt either, I like that as well but again not essential for me.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:42 pm

I've seen the Pro 550+ in action. Its nice. Its also expensive.

For budget dog locating, I think its hard to beat the Dogtra Pathfinder, especially their TRX version that doesn't have e-collar capabilities. Sure, you need a smart phone, but you don't need cell service. I used one for roughly a week and turned the phone on airplane mode to save batteries and also so I wouldn't be bothered distracted by the phone itself. Works wonderfully.

If you aren't looking at a Pathfinder, Astro or Alpha, you're left with the Pro 550+, or a telemetry system but I don't think you'd be up for the hassle involved.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:15 pm

I have the Dogtra Pathfinder and I would not recommend it as you have to take off your gloves to interact with the cell phone screen. If they come up with a screen that is on all the time and maybe on your wrist, then it would be much better, or I need some gloves that will allow my touch screen to work and set the features on the phone to stay on, I guess I need to play with it a bit but prefer something more user friendly.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions