Let's Talk Turkey

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Let's Talk Turkey

Postby AverageGuy » Tue May 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Who all is hunting turkeys? Any Luck?

I will pass along that I switched my turkey load to Federal TSS 9 shot this year. Using a Patternmaster choke tube the density of pattern using 9 shot and the energy of the extremely dense/heavy TSS make it lethal well past any range I will shoot. A 3 inch load will smother a turkey head target at 50 yards. No more shells than a guy uses while hunting turkeys I think the performance justifies the cost.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby carramrod » Wed May 08, 2019 12:35 pm

I've been thinking about getting some 7 and 9 mix in that TSS. Took me 7 days to finally get one in Missouri.

I haven't found anything else quite like spring turkey hunting.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:17 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby AverageGuy » Wed May 08, 2019 2:18 pm

I saw our total was the 2nd lowest over the past 17 years. MDC is flying the plane into the ground. Word is they want to go to all day hunting. The level of hunting pressure in Mo is far greater than in the States where all day hunting works ok and it will ruin the quality of our Spring Turkey hunting.

I used the Hevi-shot matrix load prior which is 5,6 and 7s. I can put more pellets on target with this 3 inch 9s than I can with a 3.5 inch matrix load and the recoil is way less. Testing says the TSS 9s have almost double the energy of lead 5s at 60 yards. Which well past what I will ever shoot anyway. Over 90% of the turkeys I shoot are within 20 yards or less.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby Willie T » Wed May 08, 2019 3:50 pm

I hunted 1/2 day. In the morning I set up on a bird that was gobbling on the roost. I gave him a soft tree call so he knew I was there. When he flew down he circled around behind me and appeared 90 degrees to my left at 35 yards, strutting and drumming. With nothing between us and being a lefty, I needed him to keep coming or put something between us so I could move enough to get at him. Before that happened, two hens showed up and took him to safety.
I decided to go eat breakfast and get back at it mid morning.
At 10:30 I had worked my way up to a field edge where I traditionally see toms strutting. Looking and listening gave no indication of any birds around. I sat down with my shotgun in my lap and clucked my way into a yelp. What sounded like four separate toms gobbled in the distance. I pulled my face mask on and watched for the next 15 or so minutes. Nada. I have a glass pot call I like and I made a few quick tempo cuts on it and caught motion. 5 toms at about 200 yards looked like they were having a foot race in my direction so I eased my shotgun up on my knee. About 20 seconds later I shot what I judged to be the best bird at 4 steps. When he started flopping, the other four gathered around and started flogging him. Being as how I had two tags and my shotgun was already up, I waited for what I judged to be the next best bird to clear and filled my second tag. A short but fun hunt!
Tap photo for full image
IMG_2915.JPG
IMG_2915.JPG (152.07 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:26 am

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Finally got out to hunt , had some great hunts, killed 1 two year old @ 0720 few days later killed another two year old @ 1700. Winchester Long Beard # 5
I hear good things about the TSS shot but already have several boxes of the Long Beard. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby AverageGuy » Thu May 09, 2019 6:38 am

Good Hunt and Story Willie T.

Forest, No reason not to use those shells until you need more. They all work if we hunt until we get the shot opportunity that is the essence of the sport. When I started we were all using 23/4 inch shells in lead 6s. Congratulations on your season.

Things run in cycles is my experience and I had a charmed season.

Scouted a new permission farm a couple of mornings and my own farm daily for a month. I enjoy hearing and watching turkeys. Had a wonderful opening day experience on the new permission farm with a 26lbs tom strutting and drumming in from behind me and passing me at 7 yards coming around to the front. Had 6 strutting toms 20 yards and less when I filled my second tag here at home and that bird weighed 25lbs. Had to wait 1.5 hours to go retrieve him while 3 other toms jumped and pecked on him.

Image

Image

I followed that with a trip to SD where I called in a group of hens followed by 5 strutting toms from a very long distance getting a show the whole way. Ended that with a nice Merriams Gobbler. I saw antelope, mule and whitetail deer, sharptails, prairie chickens, pheasants, ducks, geese, turkeys, a badger, from start to finish. The prairie was alive with wildlife.

Image

Image

I have 700 seedlings in my barn and a tree planting machine sitting, soybean seed sitting on the pallet for planting, but it is way too wet for that so I made a run out into Kansas to see if I could get a Rio Gobbler. Hunted a beautiful piece of earth I had never been on with a creek winding through it lined with stately century old burr oak roost trees. I drove out that morning and started hunting that afternoon. Got setup and started using a box call to cut through the wind and carry out over the big open terrain. Maybe an hour into it I spotted turkeys coming out of a waterway about 6-700 yards out. I had a pair of binos on my chest and gave out a loud series of demanding lost calls on the box and then watched with the binos to see their reaction. There were 7 Toms and about 15 hens in the flock. I could see 6 Toms standing tall looking each time I called. They started my way. Some time later 6 Toms were 15 yards in front of me and 5 left.

Image

Image

A Blessed season.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby Willie T » Thu May 09, 2019 7:54 am

AverageGuy wrote:Good Hunt and Story Willie T.

Forest, No reason not to use those shells until you need more. They all work if we hunt until we get the shot opportunity that is the essence of the sport. When I started we were all using 23/4 inch shells in lead 6s. Congratulations on your season.

Things run in cycles is my experience and I had a charmed season.

Scouted a new permission farm a couple of mornings and my own farm daily for a month. I enjoy hearing and watching turkeys. Had a wonderful opening day experience on the new permission farm with a 26lbs tom strutting and drumming in from behind me and passing me at 7 yards coming around to the front. Had 6 strutting toms 20 yards and less when I filled my second tag here at home and that bird weighed 25lbs. Had to wait 1.5 hours to go retrieve him while 3 other toms jumped and pecked on him.

Image

Image

I followed that with a trip to SD where I called in a group of hens followed by 5 strutting toms from a very long distance getting a show the whole way. Ended that with a nice Merriams Gobbler. I saw antelope, mule and whitetail deer, sharptails, prairie chickens, pheasants, ducks, geese, turkeys, a badger, from start to finish. The prairie was alive with wildlife.

Image

Image

I have 700 seedlings in my barn and a tree planting machine sitting, soybean seed sitting on the pallet for planting, but it is way too wet for that so I made a run out into Kansas to see if I could get a Rio Gobbler. Hunted a beautiful piece of earth I had never been on with a creek winding through it lined with stately century old burr oak roost trees. I drove out that morning and started hunting that afternoon. Got setup and started using a box call to cut through the wind and carry out over the big open terrain. Maybe an hour into it I spotted turkeys coming out of a waterway about 6-700 yards out. I had a pair of binos on my chest and gave out a loud series of demanding lost calls on the box and then watched with the binos to see their reaction. There were 7 Toms and about 15 hens in the flock. I could see 6 Toms standing tall looking each time I called. They started my way. Some time later 6 Toms were 15 yards in front of me and 5 left.

Image

Image

A Blessed season.


Very nice AG. An Osceola would complete the slam.....
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:26 am

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby AverageGuy » Thu May 09, 2019 8:55 am

Willie T wrote:
Very nice AG. An Osceola would complete the slam.....


Something I need to experience for sure. March would be the time I could best fit it in. I am out of time for turkeys now, looks like it may stop raining long enough that I can spray some linear rows to kill the competing grass where I am planting cedars/shrubs and the field where I need to get my beans planted ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Willie T Awesome hunt.
AG, Awesome, you are a well blessed man , I no spud will be glad when turkey season is over.
Yes 2 3/4 Winchester # 6 was a great shell, I duck hunted with them also , kill many mallards with 2 3/4 " #7 1/2 , put it in their eyes they can't handle that . Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby J D Patrick » Fri May 10, 2019 3:25 pm

I hunted NC and SC this year so far. Shot two in SC, then two in NC, then back down to SC for the last one,,,,was done with them on 19 April then went to taking other folks (new learners - I have fun helping folks learn "turkey")

Been a great season here - lots of bird interactions. Today was my last day in NC - took an elderly gentlemen and his son - the older fellow had never killed a bird. We didn't get one, but he watched the birds come out of the tree (with hens) and do the strut dance for an hour. They came within range, but were just off our property so no shot.

great pics in this thread
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby jlw034 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:00 pm

Turkey season #2 was a strike out. Hiked a good 12 miles through the national forest, heard a total of 3 gobblers. Two were way off, and one was across a giant swamp that I couldn't traverse. Still and incredible time to be out. Warm sun and a good book got me through the afternoons. I think I was a bit late this year, the CO said activity seemed to be way down by our 4th season.

Had a fox put the stalk on my hen decoy, then wind me and take off like a bolt of lightning. And enough sign to realize you're never really alone in the woods.

Can't wait for next year.
Attachments
IMG_20190506_164243-1024x1365.jpg
IMG_20190507_105950-1024x1365.jpg
User avatar
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 am
Location: Moneysota

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby AverageGuy » Sat May 11, 2019 11:28 am

Nice Season JD! And nice job getting others in the field. For the 4th year in a row I had a youth hunter take a nice gobbler off my farm and he got the full experience in doing it ending with two big strutters at 15 yards.

jlw034, Good to hear you are still pumped to give em a go next year. I am surprised the action was over in your State as Spring has come way late.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat May 11, 2019 6:03 pm

I haven't been out yet for turkey this spring. I do want to target them this next weekend. Got several spots I know they are using. But I've been concentrating on spring bear, but I need to kill a turkey as well. Nothing quite like spring gobblers coming in.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1442
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby flitecontrol » Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 am

carramrod wrote:I've been thinking about getting some 7 and 9 mix in that TSS. Took me 7 days to finally get one in Missouri.

I haven't found anything else quite like spring turkey hunting.


I've always shot number 6 lead. It has done the job on every turkey I've shot at, and some of those shots were at 50 yards or more.

In regards to the appeal of spring turkey hunting, after killing my first bird, I told my wife it was better than sex. She seemed put off by my ill advised comment and asked why I felt that way. I told her it was just as exciting, and lasted a lot longer. As much as I like to hunt over a dog, if I was limited to just one type of hunting, it would be an easy choice - spring turkeys.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 am
Location: Monroe, LA

Re: Let's Talk Turkey

Postby flitecontrol » Sun May 12, 2019 11:32 am

AverageGuy wrote:
Willie T wrote:
Very nice AG. An Osceola would complete the slam.....


Something I need to experience for sure.


IIRC, the last time I checked, Osceola season was in January or February. Earliest turkey season in the U.S.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 am
Location: Monroe, LA

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests