Retaining Training and Angled Backs

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Retaining Training and Angled Backs

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:57 am

Back in late March the ice finally went off our ponds. I had not run a water blind in 5 months and decided to try a simple one in the pond below the house to see where we are picking back up for this training season. Went well overall. He started drifting his line to the corner where I had walked around the pond before we ran the blind. I let him got aways because he does better when the angles of handling are more right angle vs subtle 45s or less. When I have tried to give him angled Backs he does not seem to pick up on them very well and will usually just turn and go straight back again. Seems like a little is better than a lot for this dog when we are working on the elements of greater handler control. He is willing to go along with it as long as he gets to make his own decisions in the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt1ijr5Nle0

What drills are useful for working on more subtle angled backs vs the right angles of Back and Over? Is working them on land in a baseball drill the best approach?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Retaining Training and Angled Backs

Postby Willie T » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:49 am

Work it on land first. Sit the dog facing you. Place dummies at equal distance at 9, 12, & 3. Now place one at 10:30 and 1:30. To start out make the angle backs closer than the overs and the back.(this will set him up to take the proper angles) Start out by standing very close to spud. Get the angles first. Progressively move them back till they are at the same distance as the others as his confidence grows. Then you can progressively back away. When he can reliably take the literal casts, you are ready to take it to the water and should see a marked improvement in his precision. I like to work this drill to include angle backs and angle ins. I also work it enough so the dog will take the cast with only a hand signal. With that in place, I can use a hand signal in combination with a verbal command when I want the dog to hold the line and drive deep. I teach mine all the way around the clock. Take your time and adjust things to what you and spud are doing.

Willie
Last edited by Willie T on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:28 am

Check out the Mike Lardey Total Retriever Training DVD's Its a comprehensive retriever training system and covers handling very well.
Don and Crew.
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:04 am

a fast tight game of walking baseball on land will accomplish literal casting nicely.

In water, if the dog isn't proficient at angled backs, you can also give a right or left straight "back" but as soon as the dog turns to go back you whistle stop again and quickly give another "straight back". By doing a couple of these quickly in a row the dog will be doing essentially an angled back.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:56 am

Thank you for the responses.

WillieT I am going to use the setup you suggest.

To all: How do you handle corrections when the dog heads towards the wrong bumper, when you start including the 45 degree angles in between the 90s? I have stopped Spud and walked closer to help him but am wondering how you handle it to see if there are better approaches.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 am

No corrections while teaching. Make sure he is squared up to you while you are teaching. Just reset and go again. It is starting from a simplified approach. With this setup he won't take long to figure it out. The close one will suck him right to the correct line. Just be patient and keep the sessions short.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby crackerd » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 am

Averageguy ought to start calling you "Willie TT" (pronounced Willie Double T :wink: ) for that fine response!

Willie T wrote:Work it on land first. Sit the dog facing you. Place dummies at equal distance at 9, 12, & 3. Now place one at 10:30 and 1:30. To start out make the angle backs closer than the overs and the back.(this will set him up to take the proper angles) Start out by standing very close to spud. Get the angles first. Progressively move them back till they are at the same distance as the others as his confidence grows. Then you can progressively back away. When he can reliably take the literal casts, you are ready to take it to the water and should see a marked improvement in his precision. I like to work this drill to include angle backs and angle ins. I also work it enough so the dog will take the cast with only a hand signal. With that in place, I can use a hand signal in combination with a verbal command when I want the dog to hold the line and drive deep. I teach mine all the way around the clock. Take your time and adjust things to what you and spud are doing.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 am

crackerd wrote:Averageguy ought to start calling you "Willie TT" (pronounced Willie Double T :wink: ) for that fine response!

Willie T wrote:Work it on land first. Sit the dog facing you. Place dummies at equal distance at 9, 12, & 3. Now place one at 10:30 and 1:30. To start out make the angle backs closer than the overs and the back.(this will set him up to take the proper angles) Start out by standing very close to spud. Get the angles first. Progressively move them back till they are at the same distance as the others as his confidence grows. Then you can progressively back away. When he can reliably take the literal casts, you are ready to take it to the water and should see a marked improvement in his precision. I like to work this drill to include angle backs and angle ins. I also work it enough so the dog will take the cast with only a hand signal. With that in place, I can use a hand signal in combination with a verbal command when I want the dog to hold the line and drive deep. I teach mine all the way around the clock. Take your time and adjust things to what you and spud are doing.

MG

That's funny crackered.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Training