Canine Adequan

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Canine Adequan

Postby mtbirder » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:03 am

My 11+ year old has been hunting Montana her whole life, has had TPLO on both knees, and is still going strong. The surgeon who did the ACL work recommended Adequan injections, as he believes this stuff works. She had both surgeries at 7 years old and still gives my 3 year old a run for her money. I do an injection bimonthly during hunting season and once a month now. All antecdotal I know, but I'm of the firm belief in if it woks - don't fix it. What I have been doing, at the DVM's advice, since her surgeries - seems to be working......
Who else has experience, including any DVM's on here with Adequan?
Thanks...
My 11year old's the one in the lead - bounding through the snowberry like a youngster.....
mtbirder
Started
Started

Re: Canine Adequan

Postby orhunter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Anecdotal or not, it works. It may not work every time but it works for your dog. Some many things that defy medical science that never become mainstream. We can only guess at the reasons why.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:28 pm

mtbirder wrote:My 11+ year old has been hunting Montana her whole life, has had TPLO on both knees, and is still going strong. The surgeon who did the ACL work recommended Adequan injections, as he believes this stuff works. She had both surgeries at 7 years old and still gives my 3 year old a run for her money. I do an injection bimonthly during hunting season and once a month now. All antecdotal I know, but I'm of the firm belief in if it woks - don't fix it. What I have been doing, at the DVM's advice, since her surgeries - seems to be working......
Who else has experience, including any DVM's on here with Adequan?
Thanks...
My 11year old's the one in the lead - bounding through the snowberry like a youngster.....

I have. My older dog (a 6yr old DD) has had a mysterious right rear leg issue since like age 1. At first the vet suspected it was a partially torn CCL but later the thinking was perhaps some sort of nerve issue. At any rate at my vet's suggestion we started giving him the injection each fall at the start of hunting season and from an anecdotal perspective I think it helps him (although he can hunt or train without it.)
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:34 pm

I'm glad to hear it. Current foster dog has elbow dysplasia and the vet doing her surgery recommended them long term. Its kind of cruel to see a dog with the energy and heart of a GWP slowed or pained by that type of thing, especially at a young age.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby tops911 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:59 pm

I used Adequan on my old DD and it did wonders for her, I believe in it. The first time she got Adequan it was deep tissue injected by the Vet twice a week for something like 8 weeks. After a few years she got worst and by then the Vets allowed sub Q injections and I did that myself and it helped as well. I often wonder why they don't have a version of Adequan for people like me who have bad arthritis.
tops911
Pup
Pup

Return to Healthcare