Funny how...

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Funny how...

Postby mtlhdr » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Two hunts ago I shot two triples, including one off this point
I think that day doubled my lifetime number of triples.

Then yesterday I somehow managed to go 0-3 off this point
Not sure I've ever done that before (though I don't claim to be a particularly great shot).

What's your best/worst shooting performance?
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Funny how...

Postby orhunter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:01 pm

Worst, 17 shots to kill one duck. Best, 4 Chukars in one shot. 4 Huns in one shot. Have done better than that on ducks a few times. 2 roosters in 1 shot. Maybe three or four Chukar triples with 1 shot. Quite a few doubles Chukars and Huns. 11 doves and one pigeon with 12 shots out of a .410. No, I didn't shoot them sitting.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby greg jacobs » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Nice looking pup you have there.
greg jacobs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mtlhdr » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:54 pm

orhunter wrote:Worst, 17 shots to kill one duck. Best, 4 Chukars in one shot. 4 Huns in one shot. Have done better than that on ducks a few times. 2 roosters in 1 shot. Maybe three or four Chukar triples with 1 shot. Quite a few doubles Chukars and Huns. 11 doves and one pigeon with 12 shots out of a .410. No, I didn't shoot them sitting.

Dang OH, those are some memorable hunts for sure. I went 3 for about 20 on quail earlier this year...that was memorable too..

greg jacobs wrote:Nice looking pup you have there.

Thanks!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:26 pm

I am not sure on either mtlhdr, but two triples on quail in the same day likely beats my best day! You were on fire man!

Defining a triple as one shot for one bird, one after the other while all are in the air at the same time - I have shot clean triples on 4 species of Upland Birds and 7 species of ducks and geese. I am sure many have a much longer list.

I can't say what my best or worst days have been. Most recently I let a close range pointed rooster escape a couple of weeks ago. After a string of over 30 hens in a row too. Wow did that suck!!! This week I hunted 5 days locally in our low bird densities close to home. Shot 7 roosters in a row with 8 shells but they are a big target and I had a great assist from Spud to recover a wounded one.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:01 pm

No shame in my game. 5 years ago I shot 5 boxes of shells for 2 doves with a borrowed shotgun. Just couldn't get on them. Still baffles me. This year I saw something I have never seen. A massive flock of coots (200) bombed into my decoys. The first shot cut a hole right through the middle. Second shot I could see my pattern swallow one about 3 feet off the water. The 3rd there had to have been 6 lined up cause it was raining coots. Ended up with 17 in 3 shots. Spent close to an hour cleaning up the mess. Otto was wiped out it ain't easy mopping up crippled diving coots in moving water. Not great marksmanship but lots of birds dropping.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:18 pm

The coot story reminds me of when we helped Iowa State collect snow geese on DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge. It had been a mild winter, and the weather hadn't forced the birds south. Eventually, many thousands of geese that remained exhausted the food supply within the radius of where it was still energy efficient to fly to one. As a consequence, the birds were reduced to grubbing out grass roots, which are not a highly nutritious food. The study leader wanted to compare their current weight to what it had been when they arrived, and shooting was the best method to collect them. The geese would go onto the lawn of the refuge residences, and there was goose poop all over the sidewalks and driveways. They became accustomed to vehicles. My neighbor and I took the plugs out of our shotguns and i laid down in the back of a pickup with the tailgate down. He backed me into a ditch so I was just about eye level with the birds, whose heads were up. When I fired the first round, you could see exactly where the shot were going by the geese that were mowed down. The next shots (my co-worker was now out of the truck and shooting also) were into the densely packed birds as they took wing. It was raining snow geese for a few moments.

The birds had lost a third of their body weight from a month or so earlier, but managed to survive until spring when they flew back north. It's questionable whether or not they were in good enough condition to breed that year.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:36 am

Two triples on quail in one day is a helluva feat... doubt I'll ever do that. I have only shot 2 true triples in my life. The first was on ruffed grouse 2.5 years ago and the second was on huns this past Christmas. Worst? I once shot 2 boxes of shells as a kid to get my limit of ducks. As an adult I have shot 12 shells for no ducks. I don't know how many shells it was but last year I shot 1 chukar and shot at 6 coveys. I'm guessing it was probably around 15 shells for that 1 chukar.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:21 am

About 5 years ago , I hunted 3 straight days in the beginning of the Timber doodle season , shot 9 times and killed 9 birds. (3 birds a day)
this was thick , thick foliage cover. I told my ex-warden Father in law , it won't continue , his response : " you are correct"
Next time out couldn't hit a barn door , but I was sure as hell was cutting wood. :lol:

This past autumn , up here in northern Wisc. Teal are long gone before the regular season starts /
I have shot teal in the past on float trips , but I was block hunting.
Shot 5 teal in one day.... never do that again.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms