SxS Shotguns

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

SxS Shotguns

Postby bullfrog » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Does anyone have any advice for a decent sxs that has interchangeable chokes?

For some reason, I have an affinity for sxs shotguns. I've done plenty of research and own several, but I want to find a decent (under $2500) 20 gauge that I can shoot steel through. I often hunt wildlife areas where non tox is required and sometimes just like to shoot non-tox when ducks may be get up next to a river.

Currently my go to chukar gun is a cz bobwhite in 20, but the second chamber does not want to fire. Although I like it, it's a cheap gun and may not be worth repairing. I also have 2 ugartechea's in 12 gauge, but I don't like to lug 12's in the hills, and I don't want to shoot steel through these guns. I do shoot bismuth when needed, but I really prefer 20 gauges.

Seems like there are plenty of choices is I up my budget, but that isn't in the cards right now. Also...I really prefer an english stock as well as a light gun. Not interested in a 7 lb sxs 20 gauge.

Should I just convert to o/u? I have one of those too, but it's just not the same for some reason.

btw...I'm not a snob. that cz that broke has been a great gun and I've used a weatherby sa-08 in it's place a lot this season and have enjoyed it. No matter how much I spend on a gun, it will be hunted and it will be dropped often.
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: SxS Shotguns

Postby Willie T » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:42 pm

A used SKB made Ithaca would fit the bill.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Willie T wrote:A used SKB made Ithaca would fit the bill.

Did a search at gunbroker.com for a 20 ga S/S and got this, which has an Ithaca: https://www.gunbroker.com/Side-By-Side- ... 1&g=300004
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:38 am

bullfrog, There are straight grip, single trigger, choke tubes and lightweight models here. Not sure about price.

http://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com/fai ... ns-hunting
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:40 am

I'd look at the Dickinson sold by Cabelas, it comes with 5. Its by most all accounts really nicely put together.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:17 pm

Bullfrog,
I would also like to add a 20 sxs with similar specs to the stable. I like my current Browning Cynergy 20, but wanted to mix it up with a sxs. Looking for a well built gun, but no need for fancy wood as it will surely get some wear on the chukar hill.I have handled the CZs and just can't warm up to them.

Ugartechea may be a good option, but I haven't handled many in person.

AverageGuy,
Have you seen any of those FAIR shotguns in person? They sure look like a nice gun for the money.

Those Dickinsons look like a nice value, too. I have seen that they are made in Turkey. Are these just nicer Huglus made guns? Any personal experience with them?
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Might look into British made doubles? They can be had for very reasonable prices. I used to know a local guy who imported them but can’t remember his name. He would go direct to the source and inspect the guns before buying so a customer could be sure he was getting a decent gun. I’ve seen a few of them and they were pretty cool. I bet a Google search would turn up a real treasure chest.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:16 pm

KJ wrote:Bullfrog,
I would also like to add a 20 sxs with similar specs to the stable. I like my current Browning Cynergy 20, but wanted to mix it up with a sxs. Looking for a well built gun, but no need for fancy wood as it will surely get some wear on the chukar hill.I have handled the CZs and just can't warm up to them.

Ugartechea may be a good option, but I haven't handled many in person.

AverageGuy,
Have you seen any of those FAIR shotguns in person? They sure look like a nice gun for the money.

Those Dickinsons look like a nice value, too. I have seen that they are made in Turkey. Are these just nicer Huglus made guns? Any personal experience with them?

Bullfrog,
FWIW, I have one of the Dickinson dboubles in 28 and .410. Not a lot through it at this point, but as far as I can tell, it's nicely made. I have nothing for you on durability of the thing though.
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:17 am

KJ, I have not handled a FAIR yet. Thinking I am going to buy one in a 28. They are one of the few I find in an O/U with a straight grip stock and lightweight.

I looked at Dickinson but they are heavier than what I prefer.

I have a Friend who is a long time GunSmith and he says both are quality made guns and good value for the money.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bullfrog » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:42 pm

The problem with most older guns, even though I'm sure I would enjoy an Ithica, is the fixed chokes.
I found this https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793947374 fair gun. Looks nice, but sure would like to hold it first. Guess I could send it back if I didn't like the feel. It's certainly plenty light.
I appreciate the suggestion of dickinson. Anick...hope you have good luck with yours. These would probably work great for my needs, but they do seem a bit heavy and I was trying to stay away from turkish guns. Not that they can't be just fine, but I don't want another gun that gives me problems.

I've also seen a couple of used berreta silver hawks that look good, but they always seem to have 26" barrels and I want 28.

Looking through my safe I counted 9 shotguns that I've either bought, had handed down, or won at DU banquet. I don't mind having extras...I have 3 boys that will need to borrow them in the next few years. However, I wish I would have bought a really nice 20 years ago, instead of the smattering of mediocre guns that I have.

Thanks for the suggestions...the search will continue.
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:42 pm

bullfrog, check you PM. please. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby woodboro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 am

Hey Bullfrog ,
I only shoot s x s guns.
I just bought a while back a Sauer 'knockabout' side plate , but wanted one to my spec's .. So I bought the gun for $1200- but put into it
about 3k. It still is at 7 pounds, swings like a dream and has Briley chokes. (it is basically for sharptail hunting)

I'd look at a 20 , find a quality thick barrel gun , and put Briley chokes in , they work very very well.
Briley's I think were about $400.. don't quote me.

Note
Ugartechea I have a 12 gauge , but have an issue with the company. I have gone thru 2 sets of firing pins.
First time I used to let the hammers down with snap caps , but it could of been because of the ammo.
Have only fired since , and pins shot again. Griffen&Howe said Ugartechea doesn't make pins anymore so it cost me $500 for a made set.
If you go Spanish , I'd recommend AYA... not a Uggy.

Connecticut firearms has RBL's and Winchesters , I have them , and they are great guns to fit.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby leadeyedbugger » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm

My favorite upland gun is a 20 sxs. It’s a older Spanish gun so fixed chokes and I wouldn’t run steel through it though. I will say that aya seems to be pretty nice guns. Personally I don’t find interchangeable chokes to be a big deal at all for hunting. I like pretty open for upland hunting and most steel shoots tight anyways

I do agree that the XX, uggies and such don’t seem like much in the way of build quality. But choices are pretty limited for a sxs that is steel safe and has interchangeable chokes
leadeyedbugger
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:11 am

Yildiz makes an entry level SxS. I know a gunsmith that does work on a lot of high end target guns and the Yildiz SxS is what he hunts with. Said it shoots where he points and for the money it works as well as many of the more expensive guns. I know several people that shoot the Yildiz O/U and haven't had any problems that I know of. Depends on what you want.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms