Lena vom Slaney-Vale

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Lena vom Slaney-Vale

Postby orhunter » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:56 am

Dang. Glad you had water available. Maybe a different outcome without. You've shared so much over the years it's like Lena belongs to all of us.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:38 pm

That was definitely the most scared I've been over a dog...and Lena is averaging two surgeries per year!

Vet confirmed what you fellas surmised...she is now at a higher risk of this happening again. Gonna have to be real careful.

He's hopeful that this was a mild case, as she got cooled down so quickly and responded well.

There is definitely handler error here as I should have been more vigilant, but she went downhill so fast. I sent her on a poorly marked retrieve and she did a hard search for maybe 2-3 minutes, came back and within a minute or two was down.

Probably gonna start carrying a thermometer with me, as internal body temp would have helped the vet with prognosis.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Keep instant cold packs in your hunting/training vest if weather is borderline.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:43 pm

I am not sure how to spell it but here goes , Peedolite in their water will help keep them hydrated. I had trouble with Gus this past week working him on pigeons , he got way to hot, same Temp about 80 . Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby booger » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Glad Lena is ok.

I'm not sure how to acclimate a dog when it happens so fast. My dog got overheated after less than 10 minutes in less than 80 degree temps at last year's pheasant championship. I could tell she hadn't completely shed her winter coat. This year I skipped it and just today I took a bunch of hair off my dog. I'm not a fan of training in the heat. Or being out in the heat for that matter.
booger
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:02 pm

Universal consensus: hot weather is stoooopid
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:41 pm

I live where it gets very hot, and exercise the dog twice a day by riding alongside him on a bicycle for two laps around the neighborhood, which is right at a mile. With potty breaks, it takes 20-25 minutes. I wet him down completely before we begin and when we finish. If it's really hot, also do it after one lap. He doesn't care for the initial wetting, but goes straight for the hose when we get home. Unfortunately, I wasn't doing this when the dog mentioned above got heat stroke. Might have been able to prevent it if I had.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:25 pm

Glad she is okay, one of our club members had a dog lose consciousness on the way home one day. I run Lena's brother every morning when it is cool, but even then, he often climbs into his pond when we get home.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:47 pm

stubblejumper wrote:Glad she is okay, one of our club members had a dog lose consciousness on the way home one day. I run Lena's brother every morning when it is cool, but even then, he often climbs into his pond when we get home.

She seems to be totally ok. Getting back into our daily endurance training. Start field work back up this week hopefully.

That being said, if the test weather is looking too hot, I'll pull her and not think twice about it. Just not worth it.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:31 am

booger wrote:Glad Lena is ok.

I'm not sure how to acclimate a dog when it happens so fast. My dog got overheated after less than 10 minutes in less than 80 degree temps at last year's pheasant championship. I could tell she hadn't completely shed her winter coat. This year I skipped it and just today I took a bunch of hair off my dog. I'm not a fan of training in the heat. Or being out in the heat for that matter.

I don't think you can if you live in the upper midwest. It goes from pleasant to way-too-hot in a hurry.

I live in the south and sort of have done it, but even still I hedge my bets. Walks are in the shade (forest trails.) Dog is off leash so sets his own pace. In the past I've dropped the leash on other dogs to let them take their own pace climbing up hills.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:52 am

All systems go for the Invitational, I hope. Good Luck but you have done the necessary work and won't need it!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am

AverageGuy wrote:All systems go for the Invitational, I hope. Good Luck but you have done the necessary work and won't need it!

Our last official training day was this past Wednesday. If that had been the test, she would have passed.

I know that weird things happen on actual test day, so I'm hoping we can adapt and overcome. My biggest worry is the weather, current forecast is 89 and sunny. Praying for a morning run.

I'll take all the luck and then some! Thanks!
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 am

Wishing you a great run and the title that goes with it.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am

Good Luck Today Sir!
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Az Draht » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:37 pm