Dusty The DL

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Dusty The DL

Postby Dmog » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Used the heel command on both dogs fall turkey hunting weekend before last. Worked well heeling them as we snuck through the trees to where I saw the turkeys. Once the turkeys became aware of us at about 60 yards out, I turned them loose to scatter them, once they are scattered, I hunt them as you would hunt any other upland bird.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:16 pm

Congratulations on your HZP, great accomplishment for a year old pup. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Highlander » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:23 pm

I have question to the people who have passed NAVHDA UPT and UT.

UPT vs UT

My local chapter issued a memo for tests for 2022. One set of tests will be hosted in early June and another one in late September.
I want to run my dog in all NAVHDA tests apart from NA as she is already too old for that.

But..
I can't decide whether should I run her in UPT or UT?
I have attended and volunteered for both so I have a vague understanding of both, but I am not sure which is one more appropriate for me level of training experience and my dog's as well.

The late summer will be very busy as my wife is expecting in this first week of September. This makes me think I might not have enough time this summer to get her on the level needed for UT... on the other hand if don't challenge myself and her I won't learn anything.

I was able to pass HZP which is, as some say, in between UPT and UT in terms complexity. I want to think that I am halfway there... but I don't want it to be a wishful thinking.

She had less than OK hunting season this year. I had two unexpected job related travels during the prime grouse season so we missed it.
Same for waterfowl. I had her on pheasants and some rabbits. Still hopeful t get her on late grouse.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion