Dog Breed Recommendations for Hunting with a Bow and Arrow?

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Which breed would you choose to help you hunt with a bow and arrow or slingshot? (all game in TN)

Beagle
100%
English Springer Spaniel
No votes
Golden Retriever
No votes
English Setter
No votes
Brittany
No votes
American Foxhound
No votes
Dachshund
No votes
English Foxhound
No votes
Bluetick Coonhound
No votes
Treeing Walker Coonhound
No votes
American English Coonhound
No votes
Borzoi
No votes
Harrier
No votes
Norwegian Elkhound
No votes
Redbone Coonhound
No votes
Scottish Deerhound
No votes
Gordon Setter
No votes
Irish Setter
No votes
Nederlandse Kooikerhondje
No votes
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
No votes
Welsh Springer Spaniel
No votes
German Shorthaired Pointer
No votes
Parson Russell Terrier
No votes
Smooth Fox Terrier
No votes
Rat Terrier
No votes

Total votes : 1

Dog Breed Recommendations for Hunting with a Bow and Arrow?

Postby tulip » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:41 am

My husband is a felon, and therefore cannot own or use a gun, even for hunting. We are currently saving up for an RV, and once we have that we'll save up to buy a few acres in Tennessee (we currently live in Texas, but I'm originally from Ohio). Our plan then is to live in the RV on our land in TN while we build our own house together. We plan to both work part time to have some money, and also have time to work on building the house together. We figure we shouldn't need to work full time since we plan on trying to live off the land as much as possible- using solar panels for solar energy, possibly also utilizing water and/or wind as renewable resources as well, growing our own fruit and vegetable gardens, harvesting plants and herbs from the land, as well as, of course, hunting game. We decided that my husband will be in charge of doing the hunting and I'll be in charge of training dog(s) for him to use to help him hunt, as well as helping out with the skinning, gutting, prepping, and cooking. I'm already a professional dog trainer who has trained 2 of my own dogs, as well as going to clients' houses to help them train their dogs since 2015, and I have been employed full time as dog trainer at a dog training, boarding, daycare, and grooming facility for over the past 3 years.

So, since my husband won't be able to use a gun to hunt for us, he'll be using a bow and arrow as well as traps, snares, and a slingshot. I can't seem to find a good answer to this online, so I thought I'd try asking here. I'm trying to figure out what breed(s) would be best to use to aid him in hunting with a bow and arrow. He's told me that he'll need a dog to help him close the distance between him and the game or to actually catch the game for him, so it sounds like a typical gun dog/flushing dog probably wouldn't be best? I was thinking maybe a beagle since they are supposed to good at finding bunnies and circling them to keep them close and in a small area or maybe a sighthound because I think they were bred to catch small game like rabbits? Or maybe some sort of treeing dog? But he also needs to be able to track larger game like deer as well, so I'm not sure. Personally, I'm generally not a fan of scenthounds, but since we're gonna be building indoor/outdoor kennels on our land, I suppose I'll be open to them if they actually turn out to be the best option. It just probably won't be a house dog as well. I'm new to training dogs for hunting, so would love some advice from someone who has used a specific breed or breeds for hunting with a bow and arrow before. Thanks in advance!
tulip
Pup
Pup

Re: Dog Breed Recommendations for Hunting with a Bow and Arr

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:44 am

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like for your guys needs it would mostly be small game like rabbits, squirrels, etc you're after? Quail with a bow and arrow would be extremely difficult and I'd imagine you'd be lucky to get a quail with a bow. So with that said, assuming it's rabbits, squirrels etc. I have had GSPs, GWPs and English setters. Not much help for a fur dog, but I would be looking at a beagle or jagd terrier, based on location and means of hunting (bow and arrow).
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 pm

Your husband can still hunt with a black powder rifle & shotgun if he is a felon . Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:32 am

Based on a quick google search....,Might be able to use a muzzle loader, as long as it’s fits the definition of an “antique firearm.” But my understanding is that a shotgun is a no go, because the ATF classifies them as a firearm. I’m sure state laws apply too.

For bird hunting I would choose a pointing breed and get it from a breeder who’s dogs have a very strong pointing instinct, because you are gonna need easy shots. If you want to hunt pig, rabbits, other small game then get a lurcher.
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms