My BirdDog's Gone TreeDog

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

My BirdDog's Gone TreeDog

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:40 pm

Seasons are winding down and we have 8 inches of ice and snow on the ground. Spud and I have been taking some walks in the woods behind the house reading sign in the snow, looking for antler sheds and playing around with the new camera. Typical Vdog, Spud is hunting what is available to hunt.

Treed on a squirrel yesterday.

Went out this afternoon carrying my 28 gauge. Spud got treed on a big split red oak den tree.

I did not expect to find a squirrel on the outside of that den tree but I slowly moved around the tree looking it over and spotted a big boar coon. Made Spud's day!

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: My BirdDog's Gone TreeDog

Postby LongHammer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Good stuff! What do you do with the coons? It has been in the 70s here everything furry is rubbed out.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Great photos. The Spudster is truly versatile.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:33 pm

Nice, real nice
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:43 am

LH, If they have good fur I skin them and sell the green hides.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:39 pm

AverageGuy wrote:LH, If they have good fur I skin them and sell the green hides.

Good work. Anyone using this dog at stud? Breeders need to take note.
Oxbow's Kindle the Fire, UT I, 201 pts, NA I 108 pts.
Cross Timber's Above and Beyond, NA I, 110 pts.
https://crosstimbergundogs.com/
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:15 pm

I like it AG. Nice work spud!
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:29 pm

Awesome job Spud. Like you said, sure looks like it made his day. That's a big coon. Ours here don't get nearly that big.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 pm

Thank You Gentlemen,

JT2,

I have been approached a few times now by folks wanting to breed to Spud but have taken a pass on it. His Sire and Dam, and Aunt on his Dams side, have all been bred multiple times. His Grandfather is the same dog both top and bottom and that dog has been bred a bunch as well, including siring a dog which was a VC at 2 yrs and that dog is being used at stud quite a bit. Appears to me that his genetics are getting passed on a bunch.

I saw that KJ got his 18th and 19th NAVHDA Breeder awards just recently, I am leaving the breeding to him and others. He has been sending me videos this fall/winter of his now 9 month old female pup out of Spud's Dam, doing veteran level work on chukars both before and after the shot, natural backing, running big, never stopping, finding and holding birds, often more than veteran dogs on the ground at the same time. The Breeding is in good hands.

I have a female pup coming in just a few weeks with a bunch of highly credentialed dogs behind her but the proof will be in the doing with her, just like all of them. I don't expect to breed her either but will leave her open long enough to see how she turns out...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:03 pm

Awesome. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Flyingm » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:31 pm

AG, Of course it is your choice, but why do you pass on breeding Spud? He seems to be a good dog, and he could really improve the Bitches that could be his mates. Just curious, thats all.
Proud to be a Rakkasan!
Flyingm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:59 pm

Flying M,

Thank you for the Kind Words.

I don't rule it out, but one practical issue is Spud's genetics have been spread around aplenty without using him. His Dam has had several litters (and her littermate sister has had several litters as well), and his Sire has been used quite a bit.

Spud is line bred on a dog that Jeff Funke at Three Devils Kennel came up with, handle name of Luke. Luke was used alot and one of the dogs he sired is a VC dog with the handle of Flint which Jeff Paulus is using at Stud quite a bit. There is another VC dog being used at Stud out of the same Sire as Spud and that dog's Dam is a littermate sister to Spud's Dam, so very near a littermate to Spud.

We GWP folks probably need some different but equal quality genetics more than we need more of the same.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Flyingm » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:09 pm

You know way more about what you are talking about than I do. Especially because you have seen the bitches, and their respective pedigrees. No doubt Spud is well bred. It would be nice to find a suitable mate that checks the boxes and is an out cross to such a line bred Dog.
Im a ThoroughBred fan and that is a nice opportunity when it happens . That industry is dominated by a handful of sire lines.
I dont know if horses and dogs are a good comparison.
Best of luck with Spud! You have a good'un.
Proud to be a Rakkasan!
Flyingm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms