Any one have an opinion on...

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Any one have an opinion on...

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:50 am

I need a double barrel but don't want to break the bank. I have an opportunity to buy a Fausti 12ga O/U for 500 bucks. It is the 80th anniversary Duck Unlimted dinner gun. It is in great condition. Its never been fired. I have tried to research a little bit and found some mixed reviews mostly good. But apparently the Fausti DU guns are hard to get serviced and find parts for.
Anyone have any experience?
ForTheBirds84
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Any one have an opinion on...

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 am

No experience with the guns but when someone says, "hard to get parts for," I'd get nervous that some day it will need parts. I wouldn't buy a gun with the expectation of it breaking down. When they don't work, that's like having no gun at all. Hard to get serviced is another warning. That kinda says few qualified smith's and the things that do go wrong are things you can't fix yourself. I like guns I can fix myself and have never had a gun I couldn't but I've only had one gun break. I put around .5M rounds through the gun before it did and it was easy to fix. I like guns that simply don't break.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:07 pm

Fausti USA is in Virginia. Don't know why a DU logo would make it hard to service. I would be tempted for 500 bucks if it fits.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:18 pm

yeap,,,for $500 worth the risk if you like it and it fits

that is if it's the 80th anniversary model and not 2009

DU2013 better than DU2009
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:37 am

If I liked the way it mounted I would roll the dice for $500.
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:57 am

Thanks guys. I'm going for it. I have shouldered it a bunch and it feels great and swings well also. My NAVHDA chapter requires break open for all gunning in training. That's what put the bug in my brain. But this does seem like the best deal I can get for the price and not spending 3 months searching.
ForTheBirds84
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:04 am

ForTheBirds84 wrote:Thanks guys. I'm going for it. I have shouldered it a bunch and it feels great and swings well also. My NAVHDA chapter requires break open for all gunning in training. That's what put the bug in my brain. But this does seem like the best deal I can get for the price and not spending 3 months searching.

Just an FYI and for anyone else not familiar, break-open shotguns are a requirement throughout NAVHDA entirely.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:09 pm

I personally scratch my head at the requirement of a break open for the gunner...I get that everyone is more comfortable with it being seen as open and physically can only hold two shells but if you trust the gunner with a shotgun in the first place, then you can trust they will only load two shells and placing an empty or full round in the chamber at a 90 degree angle holding the bolt open has the same effect so everyone can see its not loaded. The shooter should be able to pick up his empties or use a shell catch. Anyway, I am semi auto biased having evolved from pump to break open to semi auto and I respect the rules and thus find myself not comfortable being the gunner.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Safety is an individual (people) thing, not a gun thing. If I'm not safe with my pumps and autoloaders, I won't be safe with any other style. Simply one of those feel-good things that makes little sense. Here's a theory on open guns that someone else told me years ago. A open gun can collect dirt and foreign material that can cause it to malfunction. I've always kept my guns closed for this reason. The only times mine are open is when loading and unloading or if they got wet and I'm drying them. I had a rifle malfunction one time because it developed a bad case of fir needles. Almost killed the guy I was hunting with when he walked in front of the barrel as I closed the bolt. Missed his head by less than 6 inches. He wasn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree and I eventually quit hunting and fishing with him. This wasn't the last dumb thing he did. You can't fix stupid.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:32 pm

ForTheBirds84 wrote:I need a double barrel but don't want to break the bank. I have an opportunity to buy a Fausti 12ga O/U for 500 bucks. It is the 80th anniversary Duck Unlimted dinner gun. It is in great condition. Its never been fired. I have tried to research a little bit and found some mixed reviews mostly good. But apparently the Fausti DU guns are hard to get serviced and find parts for.

Did you get the gun?
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:19 pm

LongHammer wrote:
ForTheBirds84 wrote:I need a double barrel but don't want to break the bank. I have an opportunity to buy a Fausti 12ga O/U for 500 bucks. It is the 80th anniversary Duck Unlimted dinner gun. It is in great condition. Its never been fired. I have tried to research a little bit and found some mixed reviews mostly good. But apparently the Fausti DU guns are hard to get serviced and find parts for.

Did you get the gun?

Yeah, I got it. I'm planning on taking it out to shoot clays in the next couple days.
ForTheBirds84
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Hunting & Firearms