Cesky Fousek/Bohmeian Wirehaired Pointer

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Cesky Fousek/Bohmeian Wirehaired Pointer

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 am

I've been doing a bit of reading about this breed; very interesting. From the research I have done, it appears this dog was one the oldest wirehaired dogs in existence, and was probably used by Korthal in the development of the Griffon. Another interesting tid-bit, it appears that many a DD, early in the breeds development, where in fact Fouseks: if they were bred in Munich, they were DD's, if they were bred in Prauge, then they were Fouseks. More reading and more opinions/factoids: some say the Stichelhaar and the Fousek are very closely related, which seems odd as in reading Chiendog's book, the Stichelhaar is in almost on the ropes while the Fousek is doing well. It also seems to be a truism that the Fousek is not overly sharp which can't be said of the Stichelhaar, and some lines of the DD. So, calling all fact-gathers/opinions/breed researchers to educate the infidel!
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Cesky Fousek/Bohmeian Wirehaired Pointer

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks for all the replies....
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:25 pm

What I know about the Fousek I learned from the secretary of the Wirhaired Pointing Griffon Club of America (WPGCA) and seeing some of the dogs that were imported for that purpose at tests. For reasons explained in another thread, the Fousek was chosen as the breed to outcross WPG to. There are nine different lines of Fousek. Breeding is generally kept within a specific line, and they do not breed between lines unless there is a need. The ninth line is specifically used for breeding to the other lines as needed. The Fousek is the most common versatile hunting dog in its native land. The dogs' coats are usually liver and white ticked and look like WPG or GWP/DD with hard coats. Some coats are flat lying while others are longer with some wave or curl to the hair. It would be difficult to differentiate between these breeds just by appearance.

Europeans were slow to recognize and test for hip dysplaysia, and some of the dogs imported for the WPGCA were mildly dysplastic. If you are interested in importing a Fousek, I would recommend that you have its hips checked first. Generally, these dogs performed better than WPGs in tests conducted by the WPGCA. Through extensive breeding with Fouseks, the dogs in the WPGCA had mostly Fousek blood after a number of years.

I would have responded earlier but I hadn't joined the forum when you opened this thread.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:23 pm

Flitecontrol,

I now own one! Dozer of Valley House is now about 10 months old. Most of the hunters around here say, "Griffon or GWP/DD ?". I always so, "Well, very close, but slightly different". I am still VERY curious about the Stichelhaar vs Fousek; perhaps DNA analysis tell the story. His sire line is line 7, I am not 100% sure about what line his dam is from (line 7 or line 5 (?!?)) I am told that line 7 was restored with the GWP/DD after WWI . His coat is harsh and flat lying but soft on the head. The Bohemian
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Club (Cesky Fousek) NAT test is the last weekend in March, and will probably test him in NAVDHA also.
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:37 pm

You better make sure NAVHDA will accept him for testing if he isn't purebred Bohemian. It's a burr under my saddle that they didn't blink and eye when Bodo Winterhelt crossed his PP with EP, but refused to accept WPG/BWP because they weren't "purebred".
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Yep, he is registered with NAVDHA too! His sire was from the Czech Republic (frozen semen) and the dam is a Czech import. No problems with the registry, gene secret police! I feel the same way you do, some dog people get a little too wound-up over a little WPG blood, or PP, or GWP or Stichelhaar, et al. Me, I'm considering out-crossing with a English setter! ( just kidding..just kidding...)
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bwjohn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:13 pm

i would contact chiendog about the history of the fousek and see what is out there. every dog claims to be one of the oldest breeds. My understanding is that all wirehairs were breed to all wirehairs, for a long time.

that is the first time that I have seen it listed as a Bohemian.

brandon
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 am

It's my undersdtanding that GSP were one of the breeds used to develop the DD, and EP were crossed with Pudels to get the PP.
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Just a BH,

If I knew much I would have responded but I don't.

I have a FB Friend in Iowa who has a male he imported from the CR at 10 weeks of age. He likes his dog and bred him recently. I have never seen the dog hunt but see the guy posting quite a few successful hunts for waterfowl, pheasants and quail. The dog kills coons and possums on a regular basis too. If you are interested in visiting with him send me a PM and I will respond back with a link to his FB account.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:36 am

AG,

Did he breed him to another Cesky Fousek? There are CF's available in Canada, and many good dogs! The WHPGA made a mistake by not looking more closely at some of the Canadian dogs: more than a few were connected and/or proxy bred by Dr. Dostal. Just an opinion from Just-a-bird-hunter. Selah.
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Pm Sent with Link. Best of Luck in your Research.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Pointers