Socialization

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Socialization

Postby hicntry » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:05 am

Stait nice videos. There is something about watching EP's in the field that is hard to beat

Seriously, everything new the pup encounters is socializing one way or another. It is almost tempting to look at the link showing exactly how to socialize a pup correctly. Nope, videos like that are put up for newbies that don't know what they are talking about. This is the socializing I take care of because I seriously doubt the pups will be given squirrels to eat at their new home. If the buyers, feel the need for them to walk "downtown" they got plenty of time to take care of that part of the process. Miss K read that they are good up to 16 weeks and they buyers can finish them up. LOL
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v40 ... 4fbaaa.mp4
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:47 pm

Excellent. Why, because they eat quietly without growling, or any other nonsense. I feed my dogs deer, bear, mt. lion, birds, fish etc. throughout the year to supplement their kibble. And, like your pups, they show no aggression towards each other. All my adults are the same way, I can throw a dish of their favorite meat and they gobble it up as fast as they can. Also, my females will take care of other females pups without the other female giving a care. Excellent breeding Don!

Steve
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:54 pm

Now here is the ultimate in socialization. Being able to keep 3 mo old pups in the same pens with new borns. I just woke this older pup up. She was sleeping with the newborns. And yes, moms is in the yard also. The moms even let the older pups sit in the whelping box and watch her give birth. They are together all the time unsupervised. A word of caution here for a few people.....just because you saw it on the web doesn't mean you got a clue and it wouldn't be advisable to try this with dogs you might have socialized yourself.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Cool photo. Hey, is that current? Did ya come out of retirement and get back to raising/breeding Airedales?
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:17 pm

It's a great photo but this doesn't surprise me being in your back yard. Like you say, it's perfect socializing, but with one caveat, the three month old is dual socialized. Imprinted on mom/dad, but also social with humans. I know you have that covered. Too bad you won't spend the time to write a book about line breeding. It would be a hot seller. Helping breeders but pissing off the nay sayers. I'd be the first to order it;-)
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:15 pm

Here is a few in totally different environments

They are socialized well enough to take to birthday parties at the YMCA

Or go to this extreme

but, they were bred for this....does this look like fear aggression?

So, in the end, the proof is in the pudding Stait.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:39 pm

Like I said, I knew you'd have that covered! Great photos. Now, when are you going to start your book? You've done everything you set out to do, right?? As far as breeding the best airdales.

Steve
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby licklick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:21 am

I would but the book too. Although I am no breeder. A newbie learning by bumps and lumps.
licklick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:22 am

The dog-dog socialization is all well and good, but how do they handle stairs, linoleum, cattle gates, pea gravel? How do they take handling and restraint? If one of your pups was hit by a car, would I need to sedate it to have it lie on its back for x-rays?? I know how you feel about vet care, but your puppy buyers might not feel the same
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:14 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:The dog-dog socialization is all well and good, but how do they handle stairs, linoleum, cattle gates, pea gravel? How do they take handling and restraint? If one of your pups was hit by a car, would I need to sedate it to have it lie on its back for x-rays?? I know how you feel about vet care, but your puppy buyers might not feel the same

Miss K, are you that desperate? How many videos have I posted with pups going up and down stairs? I am sure I have pictures of the dogs on slick surfaces since the last two places I lived had hardwood floors..... you really have to see them Oh, wait I am pretty sure that last shot with the kids at the YMCA was on slick floors. You are referring to "cattle guards" I assume. You can't be serious, these dogs have been jumping cattle guards, walking across them, or simply going around them since the were wee pups. Cattle guards are for keeping cows in or out....not dogs. Experience will teach you that.....maybe. Lastly, do you think the hundreds and hundreds of pups I have sold folks don't all see a vet. They all see vets because most people are not me.

Miss K I really don't understand your need to challenge everything I write here unless you simply have a need to be the expert on all fronts. I get real tired of it and you make it hard for people that may actually get something out of these conversations Look at it like this.....do you think I would be stupid enough to read a study on how a surgical procedure was done , and come on this forum and tell you you don't have a clue!!!! Never happen darlin. You may not mind looking the fool in front of everyone because you are in way over you head , but, I do. I will stick to talking about stuff I understand far better than you. Socialization being one of the many subjects.If you knew as much as you think you do, you would, just maybe, question why, since you say I show a total lack of socialization, do my pups adjust to just about anything? Wanna talk about something else you probably know about? How about the BS belief that chasing balls and bumpers is indicative of prey drive? How about one of the prime reasons people have trouble working pups is MOST people are boring. Bored kids don't even learn as well as interested ones. You could tell me you, and everyone else is not boring ....and I will disagree with you for a change
Last edited by hicntry on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby licklick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:27 am

how do they handle stairs, linoleum, cattle gates, pea gravel? How do they take handling and restraint? If one of your pups was hit by a car, would I need to sedate it to have it lie on its back for x-rays?? I know how you feel about vet care, but your puppy buyers might not feel the same

I guess, those are responsibilities of the owner (buyer), whether a breeder laid grounds for those or not.
licklick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:02 pm

Steps is the first thin g they learn to cope with if they want in or out of the whelping box.....at about 3 1/2 weeks old. Just might be the reason they go up and down the stairs in the house so easily in those multitude of videos I have put up Still haven't thought of an appropriate answer for the conditioning to PEA GRAVEL!!!!

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Hicntry, if your pups are NEVER handled, they have no concept of restraint.

You have a yard of 100 dogs, dogs getting along in groups is your #1 priority.

I'm a veterinarian. Dogs allowing me to stitch up a laceration, take x-rays, or examine a broken tooth is my #1 priority.

A proper socialization program will cover both these subjects and everything in between.

You raised a couple hundred dogs of one breed of your own line. You did well at it, and that gives you some excellent experience and grounds for your opinions.

I see a couple hundred dogs a month, of all ages, sizes, breeds and training. I expect them to tolerate some pretty obnoxious behavior on my part, and I can spot a poorly socialized dog the minute I enter a room. It is in my best interest to know how to socialize a dog because my advice may be the only advice they get. Socialization saved lives, keeps dogs out of shelters, and saves my time and owners money. I don't understand where you get off thinking I have no experience to speak of??? My experiences and priorities are just different than yours.

Dog-dog socialization is only a small portion of a good socialization program. Most dogs live in 1-2 dog homes and may or may not ever interact with other dogs outside their home yard. Their interactions with humans and the human world also plays a huge role. Not just for hunting dogs and the work they do, but for ALL dogs.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Hicntry you started this thread. What was your purpose??
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:33 pm

I think this thread has run it's course and to save you further making.....

"I'm a veterinarian."

You should leave it at that darlin. Your desperation is obvious

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding