FF During Season????

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: FF During Season????

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:57 pm

You can't really be that much of an imbecile. Quit embarrassing yourself. Oops. Too late.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:58 am

When hunting I actually think it's going to be difficult to keep a young dog from getting to a shot bird unless you already have it completely steady. I'm of course speaking about the average dog handler, not those that have the title of Greatest Trainer Ever.

We did the ear pinch, maybe 3 times, last weekend, it went incredibly well. Since then she's only needed one more ear pinch and that's it. She knows what is expected when I say Fetch and because she knows she couldn't be happier and it shows in her enthusiasm. She had absolutely no trouble transitioning to picking up any object I put flat on the ground for her. She actually might be a little too enthusiastic as some of her manners on the lead took a little dip so I'm putting a little extra focus on that. I say Fetch and she is driving to the object with all she's got!

And it was a real blessing to have been able to do the ear pinch session under a very watchful and experienced eye. I couldn't be more thankful for that.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:22 pm

ryanr wrote:When hunting I actually think it's going to be difficult to keep a young dog from getting to a shot bird unless you already have it completely steady. I'm of course speaking about the average dog handler, not those that have the title of Greatest Trainer Ever.

Or, use a cc. There are some trainers and some pointing dog venues that never let a dog or require a dog to get a shot bird.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:40 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:
ryanr wrote:When hunting I actually think it's going to be difficult to keep a young dog from getting to a shot bird unless you already have it completely steady. I'm of course speaking about the average dog handler, not those that have the title of Greatest Trainer Ever.

Or, use a cc. There are some trainers and some pointing dog venues that never let a dog or require a dog to get a shot bird.

Hunting.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:49 pm

Gonehuntin,
I believe the following is attributed to Socrates. Might just be from the interweb, but it applies in spades to you. "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:31 am

Gonehuntin,
What no reply ???

So Im hunting the last weekend of chukar. Watching my friend with his young ugly dog. And Im trying to imagine following gonehintins advice to hunt the dog but not let the dog get the bird. One day my friend went 7 miles, the dog, 19. So how long does the checkcord need to be? Say dog points birds 100 yards away, my friend then has to go to the dog, collect the CC, then move in to flush the bird and shoot it, and then keep the dog from getting the bird. Its hard enough to shoot them without having to hold a checkcord on a rockslide. How do you do it while holding the CC.??? And you think the birds are going to wait for you to get the CC????? What about grouse?

And somehow Im an imbecile?????.

Train the dog!!! Just dont ask the dog to do something in the field it is not good at at home.

To be honest, this was my worst chukar season ever. Just couldnt get the dog where there were birds. The last day of season was the best. The birds held great, i just shot bad. Should have walked off the mountain with an easy limit.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training