VIDEO: 6 Mo. Old Pudelpointer Learning Steadiness

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

VIDEO: 6 Mo. Old Pudelpointer Learning Steadiness

Postby Higgins » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:28 pm

https://youtu.be/BGxcL2o_SGo

Today we had a young Pudelpointer and the owner come out. We worked on bird and gun introduction during our last session and today we began the new strategy for success. Steadiness, not chasing, will lead to a bird in your mouth. I use the check cord first so I can show the pup how it works. Then, when he no longer bumps the cord, I begin dropping it and let the pup hunt on his own. There is no yard work, no pigeons or launchers, no e-collars, no obedience command, no whistles or hand signals. Just success or the lack of success in a realistic hunting scenario. The prey teaches the predator. Steadiness (stalking/pointing) works, chasing doesn't. It's a lot of fun when they trust us enough to show us their natural talent.

Higgins Gundogs
Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette:

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Higgins
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: VIDEO: 6 Mo. Old Pudelpointer Learning Steadiness

Postby blue04 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:42 pm

Is that a pinch collar that the check cord is attached to?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Higgins » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:21 pm

No.
Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Higgins
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby blue04 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:30 pm

Is it just a sliding leather collar of some sort? I'm asking because I've only done check cord work with the cord clipped to a flat leather collar that buckles (just a standard collar). I wonder if there is some advantage to the style of collar you're using?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:36 pm

Is that an ecollar or just gps? You know in retriever events the dog cant have anything on its next and the handler cant carry anything, wonder why?
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Higgins » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:31 am

GPS. No e-collars were used.
Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby blue04 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:02 pm

How about that collar that the check cord is attached to? Some sort of sliding leather collar? What's the advantage of it vs. a standard buckle-on flat collar?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training