Leash Manners

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Leash Manners

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:16 pm

Despite the absolutely horrendous hunting this year (part due to weather) she has an amazing amount of NA. Have never seen a pup with so much point without some training. Her use of nose is off the chart.

The snow has melted a bit so we went out Wednesday. It was a sea of mud, real tough going. Didn't find any birds on the way in although sign was present. Went to a spot I haven't hunted in years just out of desperation and did find a few. First covey she locked on was behind some rocks so she didn't have a good fix on them. I tried to get between her and the edge of the rimrock but the birds beat me and flushed over the edge and gone in a split second. The next bunch was inland a ways from the rimrock so she got to work the scent. There were some juniper trees the scent had to go through and scent got mixed up in the breeze but she kept working ahead. A super slow motion stalk till she got to the last tree and the scent stream was solid. I flushed the covey and got one shot and thought I killed the bird but it wasn't where it went down??? We started working the edge along the rimrock and pup went on point. The wind was out of the south blowing directly up the cliff, carrying the scent to the flat above where we were. We slowly worked the edge with no birds showing. Pointing, relocating for around 100 yards. A couple of great openings in the rimrock where I've shot birds in the past because they can't see you coming till you're on top of them. Nothing..... Those rock cliffs had to be absolutely full of bird. No more bird contacts after that. Since we didn't find birds in the high country on the way out, we hunted lower on the way back and nothing there either. Did have a herd of elk pass through ahead of us which was kinda cool. There was at least 200 in the bunch. Their tracks were everywhere. I've been hunting this spot since 2004 and this is the first time I'd seen elk but their sign is always present, usually quite old. I've seen Big Horn Sheep tracks in there too. We hunted a little over 7 hours and she was still running like we'd just begun when we got back to the rig, can't wear her out. Figure I covered ten miles so she probably did 25/30. She doesn't yet have the range her great aunt had but she has enough. Her nose gives her all the range she needs. KJ would probably disagree....

I'm going to have to buy some birds at one of the local preserves to make sure she knows what pen raised smell like for her test this spring. She needs the experience also. Need to spend some time working on tracking and fetch before the test. She'll need to fetch the dummy out of water even if she doesn't want to. She loves the water but don't want her to get dinged because she won't fetch. Been down that road.

Wish I had some decent photos of her on point. Her style isn't quite what I like, tail is too low but tail position doesn't kill birds. Live with what I got.

Her coat is very harsh and flat lying but not particularly heavy. Can find skin without trying. Living in a colder climate and being outside more would probably take care of that. She has almost no furnishings. Nobody would ever guess she's a Griff. Weighed her a couple of weeks ago and she's a chubby 57 lbs. With more hunting she'd probably be closer to 52. She's 22 inches tall last time I measured.

She turns 1 on the 22nd
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:29 am

Thanks for taking us along Harvey. Now for some overdue photos :D
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 am

Kent: I've tried posting photos from my phone/I-Pad but it doesn't work. She's a beautiful dog despite her nearly slick head.... She has a hint of a mustache and that's it.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:05 am

Sounds like a good day orhunter. Want to see a picture!!!
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:31 am

Willie.... I'll try and text you a couple of what I have and maybe you can figure out how to post for me.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Leash Manners Update

Postby orhunter » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:06 pm

Whole new dog. So easy. Pup doesn't seem the least bit bothered.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:41 am

Magic collar worked again, eh, Harv? Now with that trick "mastered," time for the photo magic -

MG
crackerd
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:29 pm

I think I’m part of the picture problem as well. He sent me two pictures and she is a real beauty. They are on my cell and apple says my iCloud storage is full. I can not email them to resize to post an attachment the way I put pics up without buying more storage. Same reason I have not posted pics of my hunts this year
or more of my new puppy. I hate having to stay current with technology. My apologies Harvey!
Willie

Orhunter, if you can email them to yourself on your phone it will ask what size you want and give you choices with size. Select the largest size that is 1k or less. Save the pic to your photos and you can add it it as an attachment to your post here. I am working through technology issues. If I get them squared away I will post your pup. She is a beauty!
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 pm

Go to Imgur.com. Create an account, upload your photos, select photo and the option for link to forums, post link here. Absolutely simple. No need to email or reduce size. The photo is there and can be posted here and anywhere else you want to post the link.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training