Sight blinds and the UT Duck Search.

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Sight blinds and the UT Duck Search.

Postby Densa44 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:33 pm

Well it has been so good to hear from other old retriever guys that I thought that I'd post this tip. Feel free to improve on it. IMO to succeed at the duck search the dog has a way better chance if she knows what a blind is and has practiced it a lot. I can't use water and set up a lesson very easily but I take the dog out with me every day, and she needs way more exercise than a 75 year old man does, at least this one. So... I began bringing dummies with me (3) and as she hunted ahead of me I'd drop dummies behind me on the path. When I dropped the last one, number 3 I'd call her in, turn her around, I was trying to teach her "handling" at the start line, so she could do it without drawing any unwanted attention from the judges. I let her sit for a few seconds to catch her breath and spot the #3 dummy. I put my hand down and say "back" I know that I should use her name, but old habits die hard. Now, as soon as my hand goes down she takes off. When she gets to the #3 dummy she can see #2, and she usually gives it a long look. I make sure that they are far enough apart so that she isn't tempted to bring two or switch, for her it is about 60 M. When she gets back, sitting to deliver on which ever side that I choose, I drop the dummy, every time! When I told this to the greatest PP breeder (who asked me how I was training) he exclaimed "You are making it fun!" yes he is right. Now when she retrieves a dummy or bird, if I drop it it barely hits the ground before she is handing it back to me.
When I move to the water, I'll put some dead birds in the marsh and give her a mark in the same area, and when she retrieves the mark, she is keen to go again for the rest of the ducks.
I should admit that all my UT dogs had an Alberta duck season prior to the test, the limit is 8 birds and possession of 24 . We go a few days after the opening and often get 24 birds, every time we go.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Sight blinds and the UT Duck Search.

Postby sns2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:50 pm

And the winding creek you had right next door was a duck dog's dream. Hunting there with Nick that day was more fun than a barrel of monkeys and a winning bingo card!
sns2
Started
Started

Re: Sight blinds and the UT Duck Search.

Postby Densa44 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:13 pm

I will admit that Alberta has lots of great places to both hunt and train. You should be telling us about that new dog that you have.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Training