Versatile dog points and retrieves Turkey

Got a story to tell and photo to prove it? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Versatile dog points and retrieves Turkey

Postby Dmog » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Dash provided me a great weekend. We started Sat hunting her first opening duck season in the marsh. She stayed steady in blind through the war zone of shooting until I shot, then she broke but fortunately I dropped a green wing teal for her to retrieve. I was disappointed that I left my phone in the truck. She retrieved one more and we called it a day as she was blowing out her hair and got pretty cold. Sunday am we got in a turkey hunt. She pointed and retrieved a 13lb turkey out of a creek bottom. Afternoon we did some prairie chicken hunting. They didn’t hold for the dogs. Finished off the afternoon with some pond jumping that featured both Dash and Ira heeling nicely up the pond dam. They actually had a shared retrieve on a duck. Got it on video but don’t know how to post it.
Attachments
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 270 times
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg (75.82 KiB) Viewed 270 times
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 270 times
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Versatile dog points and retrieves Turkey

Postby Dmog » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:42 pm

FYI, I shot that turkey pretty much flying straight away from me at about 25 yards with a 20 gauge 3" 1 1/4oz #5 Golden Pheasant out of an extended choke Light Modified Precision Hunter. It dropped dead...good thing cause my new Stoeger M3020 FTE that round and there wasn't going to be a second shot anytime soon. Round simple fell out once I cleared the new round out of the way. I fired a few more and same thing. So I grabbed some Winchester Blind side 3" I had to see if it was an extractor issue and they as well as 2 3/4 cycled no problems. I have had over 300 rounds through this gun with no issues. It is almost as if the spent shell is too long to eject properly when firing. I will have to figure this out cause this light gun is nice to carry in the field but Golden Pheasant 3" were my go to round for late season Pheasants. There is always my trusted Franchi Affinity 12 gauge though.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Sounds like a fun weekend, except for the shotgun problems. I don't know anything about turkey seasons in other states, but our fall season doesn't open until 2nd Saturday in November.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Some states don’t allow dogs use for fall turkey but fortunately KS does.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:15 am

Lucky you, Dmog! Cool experience.

You have motivated me to buy a tag when I head to KS. I have had the pointed and flushed turkey experience with my dogs for decades but never where it was legal to shoot them through a combination of state regs, out of season or lack of a tag. Spud came within a whisker of catching an adult gobbler he pointed a short while back and he has put numerous turkeys up within easy gun range but not legal to take. As much as we hunt in Ks our time will come and I am going to be packing a tag.

Might be better ways, but I upload my videos to youtube, make it public and then copy and paste the link in my posts on this Forum when I want to share them. It works. Takes quite awhile to upload to Youtube if the video is very long.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:34 pm

I find it pretty fun having those B52’s exploded out of the brush a few yards from you. You can almost feel the wing blasts! This is my 4 year hunting fall Turkeys with my dog. I actually stumbled on my method. I typically try to sneak into shotgun range for fall turkeys in the past then one time we happen into a flock with my Griff and they started running and he broke and as he was scattering the flock one turn in the trees to fly by me and I got a shot. After that I started using the dog/dogs to find the flock and bust them up. They land in trees and brush. The ones in the trees typically have their eyes on you and will fly out before you get a shot but sometimes they focus on the dogs and you can get in range for a tree flush. But the ones that hide in the brush seem to hold for the dogs about 50% of the time.

I also wanted to give Fiocchi a shout out as I emailed them the issue I had with the ammo/gun and they sent me replacement ammo plus my trouble and a shipping label to send them the problem shells! That’s customer service! I also replaced my extractor and spring with Benelli ones as their is an obvious sharpness and spring difference between the Steoger and the Benelli. Cheap easy switch.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:41 pm

I've had the same ejection problem with a 3" model 12. When the case is hot after firing, they'll sometimes hang up. When they're cold, they're a tiny bit shorter and will eject every time. Pretty sure it has to do with plastic shells.

You can open up the front of the ejection port a little bit and probably fix it.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Your Photos