Dusty The DL

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dusty The DL

Postby Highlander » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:46 am

Meet Derringer "Dusty" Vom Hunter's Shadow.
She is 11 weeks. It was quite an adventure to get her. We flew in Minneapolis from NYC, rented a car and drove 5 hours all the way to the N. Wisconsin.
We picked up her, spend a few hours with breeder, Troy, who is very nice and let us keep her with him for an extra week due to our moving to a new place in the same week. We drove back next morning while keep stopping for her pee brakes in the rural Wisconsin, which is absolutely beautiful.

So far she's got good at click training, inside and in the filed as well. I noticed that she enjoys of it.
Very strong retrieving instincts, though not very good at giving the dummy up :) I am traying to introduce her with an exchange for the dummy with food.
I went a bit far with that this morning, she started dropping the dummy half way and rushing for a treat. :)
I'll fix that as soon as I build a pathway.
One thing that I liked is that I accidently threw the dummy in a tall grass, she didn't stop until she got it. It took her a few minutes, which is not too bad for a small pup with short attention span. Since I have got her I take take her every morning in a field (which is actually abandoned quarry. We don't have much options in CT, So I have to use everything I can). She still stays by but everyday she gets more and more confidant. She is not afraid of dense bushes either.

She is a fall pup, which means she will be quite young for her first spring test (NAVHDA & JGVH), thus she will have to undergo an intense training and drills.
I hope I'll make it. She is my first actual versatile dog and I am still novice for some aspects of versatile dog training, especially blind retrieving and tracking.

This Saturday I'll start training her with filed search. I have my method, learned in old books, and successfully used it on my EP, IS and GSP, which consists of placing 6-8 inches pols in a field, with a 1/2 sqr/ich cheese or wet cat food on the top, in way that they resample a quartering searching patterns. This will help her to learn the search, see the field and importantly to use a high nose. I read about this in a book written by the guy who started the PP as a breed. Though it worked for me I am more than happy to hear if anyone has better idea or suggestions.

I'll have shot birds in the next week and I'll introduce her with it too. As well as place/ board taring and whoa (in this case not bird related) will start this week too.

I am pretty hopeful and motivated.

Any comments and suggestion are welcome. You won't hurt my feelings.
Attachments
PXL_20201125_165852753.MP.jpg
PXL_20201125_165852753.MP.jpg (680.88 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Dusty1.jpg
Dusty1.jpg (750.04 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
PXL_20201129_162601784 (1).jpg
PXL_20201129_162601784 (1).jpg (872.95 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Dusty The DL

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:53 pm

Beautiful pup. Good job on hitting the ground running on her development and training. Keep us posted on her progress.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Beautiful pup , have fun on your journey. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:49 am

nice - real pretty pup - have fun!
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:51 am

I could spoil a pup like that. Keep the photo highway open.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:39 am

Thanks guys.

I'll start reducing photos more, so they fit better. I don't like this scroll in option.

I forgot to mention she was the smallest of the litter but the darkest one. Other than her and one sister all of the pups were white & brown (so called "Hellschimmel") like the mom and the grandpa.
I never select a pup based on color markings, but since I wasn't getting a male pup I decided to go with a darker pup. She is going to be a gray with brown markings, probably a Braunschimmel (brown roan) or even a Dunkelschimmel (dark roan). Either way I am happy what I have got.

There is not a JGHV club or chapter close to me, except the DD guys in New Jersey which I have to get to know them first, so I'll be sticking with the local NAVHDA guys for training and testing. I'll be taking a trip to Midwest for the spring VJP test if everything works out, otherwise I will have to ask the DD chapter to let me in.

One interesting thing happened today. I had her sit and then sent for a fetch. On her way to the dummy she flashed a bird and chased it for about 50 feet, and then suddenly she turned back, found the dummy and brought back right into my hands. It gave her a big treat. :D
Highlander
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Highlander » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:14 pm

Update.

Dusty is getting big, 12 weeks old, and darker as well.
Her obedience training is going well. I introduced her with a training board and she absolutely loved it. She figured out "kennel", the command, a session or two. Now she anticipates to sit on the board and wait for a next command. The board came to be very helpful with the "stay" command too, now I can move 40-50 feet and she won't move. I am increasing the distance every other day.

PXL_20201207_182759488.jpg
PXL_20201207_182759488.jpg (51.1 KiB) Viewed 1116 times

I started it inside the house, then moved out to the porch and now I am doing in the grass. She is getting quite well.
Soon I'll try to incorporate the board into the retrieving training, so she could visualize the place in front of me and sit. Right now she still keeps dropping her dummy 2 feet away for me in hoping for a treat.

I also started field search with her using food (placed on 6" sticks) and her dummies. Even though it was all still and she barely felt the wind, in a single season she started figuring out the "find it" command what was I asking her. In a bigger field and better wind it will be much easier.

small 2.jpg
small 2.jpg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 1116 times

Lastly, as much as it is a huge fun to watch how she is developing it's quite scary for me thinking I might mess her up. I try to not be perfect and accept the fact that I will make mistakes, somehow I still feel concerned...

small 1.jpg
small 1.jpg (162.43 KiB) Viewed 1116 times

I have two questions and I would really apricate a feedback.

1) For gun sound introduction, is gun powered dummy launcher better or blank postal? I find both very useful for (future) training but I only can afford one at the time.

2) Should I wait until a bird introduction or it's fine to fire it during her training / retrieving / search sessions?
Previously I waited until my dogs found a first wild bird.
Highlander
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:37 pm

I have minimal experience with gun conditioning. I started with popping the large bubbles used in packaging and then a kids cap gun both while he was eating inside.

Then as I moved outside I transitioned to blank .22 rounds and then 12 ga primer popper rounds (I really liked these, they were relatively quiet and they fit in my shotgun so I didn’t have to buy a training pistol). And finished with 12 ga blanks (which basically sound like a regular loaded shotgun shell).

I only used the powered dummy launcher once. In my opinion the one I used was to loud to start out with. I wouldn’t use it until I conditioned the pup to quieter noise producers first. I took my time with noise conditioning, because it was my first time and I didn’t want to mess it up.

I first started the .22 blanks and popper rounds while he was distracted playing with another pup, lots of treats were involved too. I don’t think I shot 12 ga blanks until he was chasing birds and I used the popper rounds first with birds to be sure the transition went well.

Cute pup, keep the pictures coming!
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:11 pm

Highlander,

Gun acclimation is for all the marbles. Buy and Follow the Perfection Kennel Gun Acclimation DVD. https://www.perfectionkennel.com/order-dvds.html
Last edited by AverageGuy on Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:29 pm

Can't wait to see some of Dusty's adventures, chasing birds. He's a great looking pup!
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Attidog » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:55 am

Congrats on the pup! She is beautiful and welcome to the East Coast Contingent!

For gun conditioning, I started out with "homemade Primers" just cut the top off of a 8 or 7 1/2 shot shell, dumped everything out so it's just the primer. Did maybe a shot or two when they were out running and happy ideally chasing a pigeon or other bird. Maybe only did 1 or 2 shots with primer and shotgun pointed away from pup, no bad reaction then another 1 or 2 pointed primers pointed towards pup again ideally with a bird, then repeated with regular 8 or 7 1/2 loads and birds. First pointed away while chasing and then pointed towards. Try to get a couple a few pigeons or chukar.

And don't stress about training - dogs have a lot of instinct.
Attidog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:01 pm

I do what Attidog does for gun acclimation. I don't waste a good shell I just replace the primer on an empty. With shortages today, good luck on finding primers.

Gun acclimation is a visual thing also. The sight of a gun should should be associated with having a good time and birds.

Best way is to have two people in the field. One person has the gun and a bird, the other the dog. Person fires the gun and pitches a bird into the cover. Person with dog gets pup excited and encourages the pup to go toward the sound. Pup finds bird. Repeat often, till pup initiates a bird search on its own. Pup must work independently of the handler after the release command, "fetch." In the beginning, fetch should be given immediately after the gun is fired. Later on, you can always delay the command or not give it at all if that's what you want. I don't like to tell dogs what to do.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:20 pm

Here is how I bring a pup along with regard to gunfire. I start with acclimation to loud noises while the pup is eating. The lids off two large pots work well for this. Start a short distance away and clang them together while the pup eats. Watch the pup closely. You want to progress to the pup ignoring the noise. Progressively move closer and get louder while the pup eats. Don’t rush it. Expose the pup to all sorts of sights and sounds including loud environments as it shows it is completely comfortable with loud noises. Introduce the pup to birds and stoke its desire with them simultaneously. As training progresses to retrieving birds, and the pup has shown confidence around loud noise, I will start popping a 410 away from the pup as it excitedly pursues a bird. Birds are powerful motivation for your pup. Tap into that and make the association with birds and gunfire with the dog in hot pursuit of a bird, but not before I judge the pup is ready. A cap gun will serve the same purpose but I prefer introducing a 410 so the dog makes an association with birds and shotguns. Take your time and work up to firing the 410 and tracking a bird or dummy with it. In this way the dog will start marking off the gun early which will pay dividends when you start shooting birds for it. A logical progression that helps the pup develop is how I always try to structure training.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:24 pm

A dummy launcher is better than a blank pistol if you can only afford one AND you intend to work the dog with launched dummies. As far as acclimation to gunfire I will typically do loud noises while pup is eating and later, and if there are other dogs that the pup plays with, I will stand off a ways and fire a pistol or launcher while they are heavily engaged in play. Of course there isn't a substitute for live birds while training or introducing gunfire.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:34 pm

Thank you gentlemen.
I do use some loud noises around her such as smashing two pots or clapping. She has zero reaction to it.
Unfortunately at the moment I have to hold on buying a blank gun or a dummy launcher due to the Christmas gifts.

She advancing well. kennel (place) training is getting better and better. Now I can place two boards and point my hand to one and she'll get onto the one I pointed at. Kinda laying a foundation for casting.
I am also increasing a distance between her and the place board.
The whoa training is going good, but so far I only do it with food or toys. I have not tried it in the field yet.
The filed search training was going good too, but we've got a foot snow in NE so I had to stop it for a week.

As expected a series of frustrations have started: she has trouble to bring dummies / bumpers to me, but not her toys. (in fact, when I sit as I watch TV or read a book she brings her toys and puts them in my hand or lap, than sits and looks towards direction she wants me to throw at)
BUT with bumpers it's all different. She grabs those DT bumpers and keeps chewing and won't come until she felt she has chewed it enough. For the record I keep the training dummies in closet to which she has no access.
It's not that she gets bored or something. The other day, out of curiosity, I kept throwing one of her toy to other side of the room and she kept retrieving and retrieving right into my hand like a big dog. I did it for 37 times she did it just as exited as she did it in first round. I know this was a mistake but I needed to see if she was bored with retrieving or not. She is not. (her both parents are retrieving machines I am told). She likes to retrieve, but not her bumpers.
For some reason she thinks the dummies are rear things, the things to chew, which I have never let her to do.
I tried to replace the DT bumper with a toy canvas duck. I thought she would like it more since it is a toy as well, but she treated it like those bumpers.
So whatever object is familiar to her it's fine. She will bring it 100 times, but whatever is fresh and new she needs to take time to explore it.. by chewing and dragging it first. And don't let her to do that with those bumpers.

Anyone has any hint / suggestion how to get this fixed?

She is 3 month old now.

Attidog
We should get the dogs together if weather and circumstances allow. Would love to see how your dog has grown.
Highlander
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion