Flying 2 dogs

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Flying 2 dogs

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:46 pm

I'm taking a bird hunting/see-where-I-want-to-live trip to Alaska at the end of next September/beginning of next October trip to Alaska. Taking the ferry from Seattle to southern Alaska is outrageously expensive (about $6,000 each way!) and obviously WAY out of my price range. So I'm wanting to fly up there with Rowdy and Misty and then rent a rig to drive around the interior and bird hunt and look for towns that may offer work as well as somewhere I'd want to live. I'm sure guys and gals on here have flown dogs before although I never have done it. What airlines would you recommend or stay away from. What do I need to know about flying my dogs (obviously if it's going to be hot I will back out of the trip and not fly them)? How do you go about booking a reservation with a dog? I don't see anywhere on the major airlines flights to declare a dog as cargo. Thanks in advance.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Flying 2 dogs

Postby mtlhdr » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:01 pm

I've used Delta Cargo twice without any problems. There's some paperwork, a vet check, and pretty strict kennel requirements.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/pet-travel/ ... g-your-pet

https://www.deltacargo.com/Cargo/catalo ... lized-live

I would suggest that, if possible, you visit the cargo terminal and run the kennels by the staff ahead of time to make sure you understand the process and that your kennels are approved.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:41 pm

Wow seems actually kind of complicated. They won't ship your pet if it's above 80 degrees (understandable) or below 20 degrees (this could pose a problem in Alaska at that time of year). And the pets aren't guaranteed to be on the same flight or even show up at the same time? Did you fly with Chance or did you just have him shipped an arrange pickup. Good advice on the crate requirements. I have a year to plan this out. Worst case scenario is I burn all of my vacation time for the year and just drive up there. But I'd really rather not do that
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:19 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:Wow seems actually kind of complicated. They won't ship your pet if it's above 80 degrees (understandable) or below 20 degrees (this could pose a problem in Alaska at that time of year). And the pets aren't guaranteed to be on the same flight or even show up at the same time? Did you fly with Chance or did you just have him shipped an arrange pickup. Good advice on the crate requirements. I have a year to plan this out. Worst case scenario is I burn all of my vacation time for the year and just drive up there. But I'd really rather not do that

I've done both, Rowdy. Vet certificate of acclimitization will get you a few degrees on either end temp wise.

They aren't guaranteed to be on the plane but it usually isnt' a concern. In one case I was flying Raleigh-Fargo and i made a connection at OHare. I asked the flight attendant if the dog made it, and she asked the pilot, who put on a green vest and walked out of the plane to the tarmac and checked for me. (American Airlines.)

For Crate Size they want them BIG. They have diagrams on the websites.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Good to know Jonov, thank you for that. Yeah I need to call the airlines fairly soon and get this all planned out. Flying is definitely cheaper than the ferry or driving. Plus saves the miles on my truck. Thank you both for the replies. Good info.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:02 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:... Did you fly with Chance or did you just have him shipped an arrange pickup?

Just shipped. First time was to bring him out west as a pup. Second time was sending him off to a summer camp. Both flights departed and arrived on time. Actually, I think both included connections.

Some discussion here: http://gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ne#p397059
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:24 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:Good to know Jonov, thank you for that. Yeah I need to call the airlines fairly soon and get this all planned out. Flying is definitely cheaper than the ferry or driving. Plus saves the miles on my truck. Thank you both for the replies. Good info.

The diagrams on the airline website shows a silhouette of a Golden Retriever standing full stack with clearance in the crate. Totally unsafe IMO but whatever. The crates have to have bowls on the inside and food taped to the top.

They zip tie the crates shut. If you don't have a standard petsmart/varikennel with holes near the door, you need to drill them in the corners.

If you can, I recommend checking as luggage as opposed to air cargo. Last time I did it was $200 a dog each way. When I shipped a dog to its permanent home I did the air cargo route. It was fine since I did it at 4:30 AM, but not my ideal choice, since you then have to park and get your stuff through the airport.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Deleted
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:29 pm

Wow... that is a huge crate. Yeah the more room to bounce around the more unsafe. And I can fully expect that food taped to the top to be torn off and eaten lol. Oh well, such is the hassle of flying a dog or dogs. I'm definitely bringing Rowdy. If Misty works out as far as a bird dog goes, I will bring her as well. If not she can stay with a friend while I'm gone. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Fun Dog » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:32 pm

I fly frequently in and out of Alaska with my dog. Alaska Airlines is a great airlines to fly when traveling with a pet. Need a health certificate issued within ten days of flight. After you book your flight call the airlines to book your dog. They will make sure your dog can fit on the plane with you. The crate needs to be bigger than you probably want. The cost with Alaska is $100. Per dog. If you have a layover of more than 4 hours you can get your dog, take it for a walk and then re-check it. Keep your receipt so you don’t have to pay again. They will bring a tag to your seat once the dog is loaded onto the plane. Don’t let the plane leave without that tag. I have stopped the plane from leaving more than once while we waited for Lily to catch up. Often the plane has erupted into cheers when it is announced that Lily is on board. I try to find flights with the shortest amount of time. If I can, I select a seat on the right front so I can watch them load my dog. Arrive two hours early and fill out the paperwork. Mostly things go well, but every once in awhile....
Attachments
AABE05B0-53AC-4870-8743-44F9EA2673F6.jpeg
Dori
Fun Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:03 am

Fun Dog, that actually seems really, really easy and hassle free (as much as flying with dogs can be hassle free). Alaska Airlines is my favorite airline anyway. Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Fun Dog » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Most of the time it is hassle free, but when it’s not, it’s horrid.
Dori
Fun Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:45 pm

summer Is when dogs die in the cargo pits of airplanes, so I don’t ship mine when the temps get over 80 deg.

Some airplanes have conditioned air into at least one cargo pit, but many don’t, and even some versions of the same airplane family aren’t similar in this respect. All cargo pits are obviously pressurized these days, and those that don’t have separate AC controls in the cockpit are at least ventilated by cabin exhaust air on its way out of the plane, or back into the AC and pressurization loop. I will say that regardless of a separate air condition system or not, temps in the pit regularly exceed 100 degrees on the ramp in the summer and don’t cool off to between 60 to 75 degrees generally until the plane gets to cruise altitude where it’s -50C outside.

More importantly then, ask if your carrier of choice keeps the dog in a dedicated, air conditioned vehicle until just prior to closing the doors and also what happens with the dog during connections if it’s hot, or event warm, out.

Finally, poke your head in the cockpit, say hi and let the guys driving know you’ve got your dog going in the cargo pit and could they let you know when the pup is aboard. This is an easy request to honor and will help alert them to your dog’s well beating in the event of a long gate delay, after boarding.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ANick » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:15 am

Looking ahead to the end of September when the pups turn 8 weeks, I was feeling a bit over-tasked. Checking in the breed group, I was referred to check with Runway Pets, a booking service in Missouri.

I had a great conversation with the rep there and found that in rough numbers, using a 20 lb pup weight as a conservative guess, and a small crate (19" high, 20" wide, 27" long), that shipping would be about $250 for anyone but United and those would not accept shipments if the destination or stops were over 80 - 85 degrees F. There's some variation among airlines, but those are pretty normal cutouts. United runs more toward $350... but.. their ground handling vehicles and facilities are climate controlled. Airlines shipping animals do have climate areas in baggage... and do note, this is shipping. That might vary if the dog is shipping with you as baggage. Don't know.. just relaying what I was told.

DO check the aircraft on the route. Alaska runs a non-stop from Seattle to the destination in Florida we were using as an example.. a nice flight of 6 hours. But that route is served by one of their Airbus aircraft which does not have a pressurized section ... so no pooch on de plane!!

BTW, insurance for the pup was quoted as being another $10.00. Not that insurance would do anything for the gaping chest wound left if you lost the dog!

Call around, ask questions.

Happy Landings!

Nick
ANick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion