Dog Supplements/vitamins

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dog Supplements/vitamins

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Without breaking the bank, is there anything you guys and gals give your dogs to help them out in terms of joints, muscles, recovery, etc. I have been giving my dogs Glucosamine and chondroitin daily for a few years and am going to try Annamet glycocharge on week+ long hunting trips, this year. Is there something else that might help them out. Or something better to substitute the G & C with?
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Dog Supplements/vitamins

Postby Urban_Redneck » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 am

You would do better to add raw animal fat or fatty meat to your dog's bowl than a high sugar supplement.

My $0.02
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Doc E » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:21 am

As far as Glucosamine, the sulfate form is better than the HCl form.
While chondroitin is great for growing puppies, it has virtually no value in an adult.
Your best bet is Glucosamine Sulfate and MSM.
As far as glycocharge, you can do just as well by going to your local brew shop
and getting some maltodextrin to use instead, does the same thing but id s lot cheaper
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1500 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:17 am

I'd pass on the Maltodextrin. A high energy (real) dog food is what I used. A little hotter than maintenance food. Evening meal was increased a little bit. I'd supplement during hunting with a very small amount of peanut butter or toast or French Toast. A small piece every half hour after the first four hours of hunting. Dog always got a small breakfast of fried egg and a tiny bit of dog food well before hunting started. Never had a dog run out of steam.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am

I've heard Fish Oil.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:39 am

Actual supplements through regular feeding I always used fish oil and yogurt.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Maltodextrin isn't used as a daily supplement, it's used on a demanding trip to keep dog's going day after day. I feed Glycocharge from Lion Country when I'm away from home and hunting 5-7 days in a row. It's amazing the effect it has on a dog. I would never feed it daily.
Last edited by GONEHUNTIN' on Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:48 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Maltodextrin isn't used as a daily supplement, it's used on a demanding trip to keep dog's going day after day. I feed Glucosamine when I'm away from home and hunting 5-7 days in a row. It's amazing the effect it has on a dog. I would never feed it daily.

I think you meant to say Glycocharge (maltodextrin) and not Glucosamine, right? And yes, I also used Glycocharge on a demanding hunting trip but not as an everyday supplement.

Things like glucosamine, MSM, fish oil all tend to be daily supplements that people give their dogs (and possibly themselves.)
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:19 pm

ryanr wrote:
GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Maltodextrin isn't used as a daily supplement, it's used on a demanding trip to keep dog's going day after day. I feed Glucosamine when I'm away from home and hunting 5-7 days in a row. It's amazing the effect it has on a dog. I would never feed it daily.

I think you meant to say Glycocharge (maltodextrin) and not Glucosamine, right? And yes, I also used Glycocharge on a demanding hunting trip but not as an everyday supplement.

Things like glucosamine, MSM, fish oil all tend to be daily supplements that people give their dogs (and possibly themselves.)

Yes Ryan, that is correct! I'll change it.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Thanks Doc and everyone. I'm going to probably stick with the glycocharge, as I only use it on the two week-long out of state bird trips I do each year and spending $30 a year for it is fine. Harvey, I do feed some PB or honey before and during a hunt to my dogs. It's not running out of gas during a hunt that's an issue, it's the recovery time from that hunt. Rotating dogs helps but still only have 2 dogs.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:26 pm

If they're not running out of gas, what you're doing is fine. Don't try to fix something that isn't broke.

Honestly, I've never had a dog fail to recover overnight. Boots may be considered a supplement. They can certainly rejuvenate a dog.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 pm

"If they're not running out of gas, what you're doing is fine. Don't try to fix something that isn't broke"
Agreed.
This 11 year 2 month old, been running up and down MT blue grouse mountains all her life-dual TPLO surgeries-used to dock dive - girl has been on Dasaquin w/MSM daily since she was 3 1/2.
Pic taken last December, she ran down this cripple for an eternity before we teamed up on the finish.
Her form and function is that of a world class athlete, even at her age and given the wear she has on her old bones.....
I'll stick with the above supplement - anecdotal or not.
If it's just dumb luck, consider me the dumbest, luckiest dog guy there is..................
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:54 am

No harm in trying post-hunt maltodextrin. The literature -at least for sled dogs - seems to support supplementation immediately post exercise. Maltodextrin is cheap. I mix it (~1.5g/kg dog weight) with a little liver powder in a water bottle and add it to Chance's water bowl when we get back to the truck. I seem to recall that you're not supposed to provide any fat at the same time as the maltodextrin because it interferes with its absorption.

As far as regular supplements: fish oil pill and glucosamine/chondroitin/msm daily and 50mg of zinc gluconate 2x week (Monday and Friday - I think DocE posted some info in the past indicating that zinc helps toughen pads and nails - forgive me DocE if it wasn't you).
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:50 pm

mtlhdr wrote: I think DocE posted some info in the past indicating that zinc helps toughen pads and nails - forgive me DocE if it wasn't you).

I road them on rocky forest roads about 20 miles a week in addition to their regular runs. Both Rowdy and Misty have pads like the bottom of a wolf's foot.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:35 am

RowdyGSP wrote:
mtlhdr wrote: I think DocE posted some info in the past indicating that zinc helps toughen pads and nails - forgive me DocE if it wasn't you).

I road them on rocky forest roads about 20 miles a week in addition to their regular runs. Both Rowdy and Misty have pads like the bottom of a wolf's foot.

Yup. No supplement gonna replace a solid roading/exercise regime.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion