Taking a 4 month old GWP dove hunting

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Taking a 4 month old GWP dove hunting

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:58 pm

Are you planning on following any sort of a regimented training program (I would HIGHLY recommend you do so, last thing you want is to have a gunshy dog or something else come up that has to do with simple inexperience). Perfect Start, Perfect Finish or even Joan Bailey's book, 'How to Help Gundogs Train Themselves' would give you a pretty good start.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Timoteov » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:29 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QfeMIK ... p=drivesdk

Video of us working on some retrieving
Timoteov
Started
Started

Postby Duckdon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:14 am

Timoteov wrote:Thank you everyone for the responses. I'm overwhelmed by the quality of your answers. I guess I will play it by ear and see how he is come September 1st. I'll continue working on sit, come, and stay(haven't started that yet as I know it's a difficult process for a pup) for the rest of the month. Come August, I will get some birds and make a temporary kennel and introduce gunfire. If he handles this well I will take him.

Again, thank you for your help!

I can imagine that a Dove Hunt involved lots of gunners and lots of shooting. Caution here...…...it can easily over whelm a young dog. I would only have one shooter to start with and then add more as the pup shows no problems.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Timoteov » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:48 am

I have one or two smaller water holes where I can take him and there will only be 1 or 2 shooters. I'm most definitely not going to hit a sunflower field or large pond
Timoteov
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Timoteov wrote:I have one or two smaller water holes where I can take him and there will only be 1 or 2 shooters. I'm most definitely not going to hit a sunflower field or large pond

That's good and even better if you can have one buddy that can shoot at first while you sit with him to make sure everything's going well.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:11 pm

Tim,
Where in OK do you live? I live in South of Norman.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Timoteov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:05 pm

JTracyII wrote:Tim,
Where in OK do you live? I live in South of Norman.

NW Oklahoma - Woodward area
Timoteov
Started
Started

Postby JTracyII » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:58 pm

You should come to training days for NAVHDA if you haven't near Enid.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Timoteov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:59 pm

JTracyII wrote:You should come to training days for NAVHDA if you haven't near Enid.

I don't much about it, but Kody isn't registered. For some reason I thought he had to be registered. He's full good.
Timoteov
Started
Started

Postby ryanr » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:44 pm

Timoteov wrote:
JTracyII wrote:You should come to training days for NAVHDA if you haven't near Enid.

I don't much about it, but Kody isn't registered. For some reason I thought he had to be registered. He's full good.

For training, the dog just has to be a recognized versatile breed, which it is. It only needs to be registered with NAVHDA if the dog is tested.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:29 am

If you take the pup, leave your gun at home. At 5 months, he should have your undivided attention the first couple of times out.

Without a plan as to what you'll be teaching him, I would be concerned what he's learning (they're always learning).
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Timoteov » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:53 am

ryanr wrote:
Timoteov wrote:

Interesting I'll definitely look into it. Enid isn't all that far

For training, the dog just has to be a recognized versatile breed, which it is. It only needs to be registered with NAVHDA if the dog is tested.
Timoteov
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:02 pm

Timoteov wrote:

Only to test. And if you have papers from a different studbook you can still register the dog in NAVHDA assuming you register him in the breeders studbook and get the pedigree to send to NAVHDA. I've done it a couple times. But the chapter should be happy to have you come out and work with you and your dog. I know my chapter has a few members that have rescues and they work all the same.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:25 pm

Otto was 4.5 months for his first dove hunt. Low expectations led to fun results and a few mauled birds. Otto was never the least concerned by gun fire so that was a plus. Find a spot away from others keep your dog under control and have FUN. If it becomes unfun for you pack it in. Your dog is a baby let him play
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion