Baseball Fans -- How's This For A Job

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Baseball Fans -- How's This For A Job

Postby Doc E » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:39 am

I have a patient who is a Baseball Scout. He gets paid by the Washington Nats.
They fly him all over the USA to watch minor league games and he gets treated Very Well. Top notch hotels, meals etc and he gets a Big paycheck as well. His job is to watch players and make recommendations as to which ones to think about recruiting.
His brother has a similar job, but his brother only goes to College games.

Pretty cool job for someone who loves baseball.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1500 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Baseball Fans -- How's This For A Job

Postby woodboro » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 pm

That is more of a complex job than meets the eye.
A player could hav good/bad nights as well as how he hits left/ right handers as well as the stuff.
Bring your computer ... huh

I always thought a basketball scout would be the best.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:07 pm

My father was one for a while after his pro career but never took it to where he made a job out of it. Too damn lazy.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:01 pm

Pretty much my dream job... Minor league season ends in September... perfect time for bird season to get going.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:08 pm

Would be tough on the family (if there is one). Here's a really good article on ESPN on the scouting of Mike Trout.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/268 ... ell-angels
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 am

Doc E wrote:I have a patient who is a Baseball Scout. He gets paid by the Washington Nats.
They fly him all over the USA to watch minor league games and he gets treated Very Well. Top notch hotels, meals etc and he gets a Big paycheck as well. His job is to watch players and make recommendations as to which ones to think about recruiting.
His brother has a similar job, but his brother only goes to College games.

Pretty cool job for someone who loves baseball.

I'm not saying that it isn't a cool job. I travel some for work, but not a ton. But I'll tell you what I tell people that work internally at my office and don't travel. You say "Oh, Fun! You're going to Nasvhille (or Dallas, San Diego, Greenville SC or Johnston City TN)! The Company puts you up in a hotel? Eat at Restaurants?" Sure. But a minor league scout is spending a lot of time flying to Reno and Norfolk and Omaha and Des Moines and Akron OH and Erie PA and Altoona and Springdale AR. So they may not make you stay in a Super 8 but the best hotel is still a hotel, and is the best hotel in Erie PA going to be anything to get excited about? The pictures are the same and the rooms are just rooms and you aren't at home. You go out to eat, but remember, you're doing it all the time so it isn't like you go ham because you'll end up being 400 lbs, meaning you order a lot of Salmon and Chicken Breast. Then you go to the Hotel Room, or wander around the Mall and see if there's a Cabelas/BPS to walk around, and either work or try and beat the boredom. BTW, even if you are in a fun city you are likely in a decent hotel near your meetings, not on Music Row or Broadway. I don't dislike travel. I'd travel more for the right job.

To me, it would be like being a fishing guide; it would turn my passion into a pressurized daily grind.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm

JONOV, that's most of the reason I quit guiding on a really nice preserve in Kimberly, OR. The grind of guiding day in and day out started to turn working my dogs into feeling truly like work. Well and when you nearly get shot by snooty rich folks who hunt once a year, it makes you question if the money is worth it. I'll still fill-in guide at a preserve once in a while but I'm not going back to doing it 5 or 6 days a week.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:09 am

RowdyGSP wrote:JONOV, that's most of the reason I quit guiding on a really nice preserve in Kimberly, OR. The grind of guiding day in and day out started to turn working my dogs into feeling truly like work. Well and when you nearly get shot by snooty rich folks who hunt once a year, it makes you question if the money is worth it. I'll still fill-in guide at a preserve once in a while but I'm not going back to doing it 5 or 6 days a week.

And the customer isn't wrong and neither is his opinion about your dog. I can't say I blame you.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby NateRessler » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:58 pm

I dont know I traveled for 20yrs. I worked in the newspaper industry before it got wrecked. I've been to every podunk town. They are impossible to get to you fly out of the nearest big city 1 to 3 hr drive to the next big city drive a couple of hours check in to the nearest hotel, maybe across the street sometimes an hour away.
I haven't flown anywhere since I quit, dont know if I ever will again. Airports stink, hotels stink, the boredom bars (to much to often)all stink, travel for work is awful. Luckily my wife didn't leave me.
NateRessler
Pup
Pup

Postby carramrod » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:16 pm

I like the occasional work trip. I always enjoy meeting different people. But traveling that often is to much. If you start to know the flight attendants by first name, it's too much. It would be fun for a while... If it was a hockey scout.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion