Looking for bird/duck dog zero experience with them*Update*

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Looking for bird/duck dog zero experience with them

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:33 pm

IF it is a Versatile Breed it is going to kill & hunt fur, you no, they are versatile dogs.
As far as man sharp, that has changed a lot in the last 10 years, DD's are not bred to be aggressive anymore, early on they were bred to be guard dogs .Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:05 pm

I have photographic proof that good natured, darling, sweet, cuddle, Griff will kill vermin.... and the neighbor's cat. Some things you train for, some things come naturally. I want a dog that will kill naturally and I can train not to. Hard to find that balance.... if you choose to.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:21 pm

orhunter wrote:I have photographic proof that good natured, darling, sweet, cuddle, Griff will kill vermin.... and the neighbor's cat. Some things you train for, some things come naturally. I want a dog that will kill naturally and I can train not to. Hard to find that balance.... if you choose to.

I don't imagine you were too popular after your griff killed the neighbour's cat. Or is the story just between you and the dog? LOL My griff is obsessed with cats! She frequently asks to go out the front as if she needs to take a bathroom break because she knows there's 4-5 of them lurking around our townhouse complex. Can't tell you how many times I've been fooled by these fake pee breaks!
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Mastercaster: That incident happened in the confines of our fenced back yard, I didn't share it with the neighborhood. That was not her first effort... or the last.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:43 pm

My WPG were interested in cats, but a couple of stern "N0!"s convinced them to leave cats alone. Not so with my GWP and DD. I had to invest in an electronic collar and hit them hard to stop the cat chasing.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:11 pm

It is The harden test for the DD , has to kill a coon OR to be marked hard , if a DD doesn't have GRIT I don't want it. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:49 pm

I'd rather have a dog that is more interested in doing what I want over what it wants to do. In other words, cooperation, even when it's contrary to the instinct to lay fang on fur. A dog can have strong desire for game contact and still be cooperative. I miss that in the good WPGs I've had.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Buck Dancer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am

Nothing wrong with a sharp dog depending on your circumstances. If lived in the middle of hunting grounds, with a good chunk of land and kennels, had no kids around, I would not hesitate to gt a DD/GWP - great hunting dogs. If I had very young kids and lived in the suburbs I would hesitate. Can't have a dog snapping at other dogs or children because then the dog goes bye bye. Sure maybe 75-80% (my estimate) are not sharp, but why take the risk if the situation is not right?
Buck Dancer
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:39 am

Buck Dancer wrote:Nothing wrong with a sharp dog depending on your circumstances. If lived in the middle of hunting grounds, with a good chunk of land and kennels, had no kids around, I would not hesitate to gt a DD/GWP - great hunting dogs. If I had very young kids and lived in the suburbs I would hesitate. Can't have a dog snapping at other dogs or children because then the dog goes bye bye. Sure maybe 75-80% (my estimate) are not sharp, but why take the risk if the situation is not right?

Personally, I'd be a lot more worried about a GSP. They don't seem inherently sharp but way too many of them are a bit sensitive/shy and that's more likely to lead to a bite IME. On the whole, GWP's/DD's seem to be wired one notch less tight as well, with more of them having an off-switch.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 am

Buck Dancer wrote:Nothing wrong with a sharp dog depending on your circumstances. If lived in the middle of hunting grounds, with a good chunk of land and kennels, had no kids around, I would not hesitate to gt a DD/GWP - great hunting dogs. If I had very young kids and lived in the suburbs I would hesitate. Can't have a dog snapping at other dogs or children because then the dog goes bye bye. Sure maybe 75-80% (my estimate) are not sharp, but why take the risk if the situation is not right?

Uncontrolled dogs are a problem regardless of breed. Including very much in the country.

In over 30 years owning and hunting with GWPs I have encountered some dog sharp and man sharp GWPs and DDs. Not in sufficient numbers to warrant avoiding the breed on the whole, in an Urban setting as your post suggests, however.

Finding mentally stable dogs in the GWP and DD ranks producing the same in their puppies is easily done.

I attend NAVDHA and VDD training days several times a summer. If we are talking about the representative masses vs attempting to portray a hearsay exception as a general case, then your post in this thread is again way off of the reality of my actual experience.

I attended a dog training clinic recently where I saw a Cedarwoods PP with a horrible coat, which flagged and barked non-stop while on birds.

Should I now forever and always paint the entire PP breed with that Brush?

All of my GWPs have been fur sharp, as are all other breeds which retain true Versatile Hunting NA.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Those sharp DD's living in the suburbs are tough to get along with, just don't tell mine that.
Attachments
2019-01-16 13_24_50-IMG_20181111_191351.jpg
2019-01-16 13_24_50-IMG_20181111_191351.jpg (30.65 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Apparently there's nothing wrong with posting nonsense either, even when it's clear a person doesn't know what they're talking about on the subject.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Buck Dancer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Even pitbulls can be lovable with children.

Buck Dancer
Started
Started

Postby ryanr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 pm

One proof that you have no clue in what you're talking about on this is the fact you got a PP because you think DD/GWPs can be sharp with people and other dogs. :lol:

And I'm not saying that to slight PPs either.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby leadeyedbugger » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:46 pm

Again, make some phone calls. Talk to some breeders, go see some dogs in person.

Try to match up as best you can your breeder with what you are looking for in a dog. Choose from a breeder who does the same kind of hunting as you do. Someone who has the same kind of thoughts on what they want in a hunting dog.

Also, if your so inclined. Ask them what the faults in their dogs are, what are they working on trying to improve in their breeding program. Why did they choose the sire that they choose, how much have they seen them in person. Hunted over them.

Do you plan to run the dog in hunt testing. Most versatile dog breeders want to know. If you are, make sure and understand that if you run through the tests with a dd then you are going to have to do some fur work with the dog. If that does not interest you then I would either not go that route or don’t test in German system. Pretty much all versatile dogs are going to have some level of interest in fur, most of them relatively easy to get off them. But harder if you have to train for testing with them. Then break them later
leadeyedbugger
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion