E collars good for heavy cover.

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

E collars good for heavy cover.

Postby HMR » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:37 am

I know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse and I’ve searched the forum, but I’m specifically looking for a collars that’s does well in heavy cover. I will be hunting a lot in heavy old growth forest and mountains so something that will make it through tall that brush.

I do not need all the bells and whistles. Vibrates a main. Something that’s somewhat beginner friendly. I’ve been interested in the Garmin sports pro. I know the range is 3/4 but I wonder how much the range shortens with heavy cover. I have a Griff and she doesn’t range that far and I like to keep her closer range.

I’m honestly overwhelmed with all the collar options.
HMR
Started
Started

Re: E collars good for heavy cover.

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:30 pm

Go with a Garmin 550+ or Alpha 200i and you can't go wrong. Spend the extra money now or you will later. Also consider that when hunting thick cover like we do in N. Wi., which is far thicker than the West, you NEED a mapping GPS to find your truck again. Or, it sure helps and saves a lot of shoe leather.
Last edited by GONEHUNTIN' on Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:50 am

You are describing the Garmin 550+.

Excellent GPS for keeping track of your dog, excellent training features including vibrate. 100% simple to use.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:24 pm

I cant speak for mountains and forests but I have experience on prairie breaks, thickets, creek trees, and standing crops and have not had a problem with the Garmin 550+ pro on range for my Griff and PP and their running the TT15mini's. I did have problems with a Dogtra Pathfinder on the PP on some prairie breaks with the line of sight stuff(not the gps)when she was down in the coulees until I upgraded the antennae. I had problems with the Sportdog sport hunter 825(1/2 mile) on the PP in similar areas but when I upgraded to the sport hunter 1825 collars(3/4 mile), I have not had any issues.

Hell the Griff reads my mind and I don't need an e collar...except when I want him to cover that prairie out there 200 yards away! He is like, let that young dog run her ass off...
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby HMR » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:01 am

Dmog wrote:I cant speak for mountains and forests but I have experience on prairie breaks, thickets, creek trees, and standing crops and have not had a problem with the Garmin 550+ pro on range for my Griff and PP and their running the TT15mini's. I did have problems with a Dogtra Pathfinder on the PP on some prairie breaks with the line of sight stuff(not the gps)when she was down in the coulees until I upgraded the antennae. I had problems with the Sportdog sport hunter 825(1/2 mile) on the PP in similar areas but when I upgraded to the sport hunter 1825 collars(3/4 mile), I have not had any issues.

Hell the Griff reads my mind and I don't need an e collar...except when I want him to cover that prairie out there 200 yards away! He is like, let that young dog run her ass off...

Thanks everyone, but especially Dmog. I’m hoping I won’t need one with my Griff . She’s pretty in-tune with me and checks in where I am, but first hunting season so we will see how that goes.
HMR
Started
Started

Postby Dmog » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:45 am

HMR wrote:
Dmog wrote:I cant speak for mountains and forests but I have experience on prairie breaks, thickets, creek trees, and standing crops and have not had a problem with the Garmin 550+ pro on range for my Griff and PP and their running the TT15mini's. I did have problems with a Dogtra Pathfinder on the PP on some prairie breaks with the line of sight stuff(not the gps)when she was down in the coulees until I upgraded the antennae. I had problems with the Sportdog sport hunter 825(1/2 mile) on the PP in similar areas but when I upgraded to the sport hunter 1825 collars(3/4 mile), I have not had any issues.

Thanks everyone, but especially Dmog. I’m hoping I won’t need one with my Griff . She’s pretty in-tune with me and checks in where I am, but first hunting season so we will see how that goes.

Lol...if you train with one, you'll probably not need it but you'll have it. If you don't train with one, you will wish you did!
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion