Montana boondoggle

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby ryanr » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:16 am

JD, are you still located in North Carolina? I take it you drove out to MT from Carolina? How long? It would likely just be me and my 2 dogs so I'm curious as to approximate cost to do a DIY trip like this? How much water did you carry with you to your campsite? You can PM if you prefer.

I did a DIY week in Maine several years ago and I was surprised I did the trip for under $600 (included a new vest.) That was cabin, gas, tolls, food, beer, hunting license, ammo and a night out "in town." Rented a cabin that had indoor plumbing and I brought up pre-cooked casseroles and made oatmeal & coffee for breakfast. Sandwiches for bag lunch. I didn't need to bring gallons of water obviously.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:36 pm

ryanr wrote:JD, are you still located in North Carolina? I take it you drove out to MT from Carolina? How long? It would likely just be me and my 2 dogs so I'm curious as to approximate cost to do a DIY trip like this? How much water did you carry with you to your campsite? You can PM if you prefer.

I did a DIY week in Maine several years ago and I was surprised I did the trip for under $600 (included a new vest.) That was cabin, gas, tolls, food, beer, hunting license, ammo and a night out "in town." Rented a cabin that had indoor plumbing and I brought up pre-cooked casseroles and made oatmeal & coffee for breakfast. Sandwiches for bag lunch. I didn't need to bring gallons of water obviously.

yes I am based in NC now

it takes me 2 long days to drive to MT - I often do it in 3 now so that I arrive mid-day to set camp

I camp, so no cost for lodging (once tents/gear on hand), food I bring, water, etc
gas depends on what you drive

I do run into town a time or three to get ice and sneak a meal at the local diner

license

but heck, I would have to add it up to see what it cost

keep thinking of getting an enclosed trailer and make a "camper" of it
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:49 pm

JD, thanks I was wondering how close you a town you stayed, if it was close enough that you could run in on occasion. I've been starting my research and I saw an article a guy wrote on a DIY western bird trip and his budget. He drove from Illinois and hunted like 5 states and his total cost was under $1800 and that included like 400 in lodging because he didn't camp entirely at free sites. Very doable for me.

I'm considering between a canvas tent like you suggested, a regular nylon 4 or 6 person tent, or springing for a used pop-up camper. I've never been out West for any kind of fishing or hunting trip and next year my dogs will be 4 and 9 and I'm not getting any younger either. I really want to start doing this.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:38 am

ryanr wrote:JD, thanks I was wondering how close you a town you stayed, if it was close enough that you could run in on occasion. I've been starting my research and I saw an article a guy wrote on a DIY western bird trip and his budget. He drove from Illinois and hunted like 5 states and his total cost was under $1800 and that included like 400 in lodging because he didn't camp entirely at free sites. Very doable for me.

I'm considering between a canvas tent like you suggested, a regular nylon 4 or 6 person tent, or springing for a used pop-up camper. I've never been out West for any kind of fishing or hunting trip and next year my dogs will be 4 and 9 and I'm not getting any younger either. I really want to start doing this.

yeah, the closest town with actual "stuff" was about an hour from camp, 1/2 hr from where I mainly hunted

,,,I really should keep track of costs

I always had nylon tents in past - I am liking this new canvas one - seemed to stay cooler in the afternoons and warmer at night

a camper would work well

and yes - go!
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to Hunting & Firearms