Montana boondoggle

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Montana boondoggle

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:06 am

Earl and I just got back from Montana,,,was a great trip,,,

camped in the National Forest,,,chased sharptail and sage grouse on BMAs,,,got us a fall turkey (long time itch),,,scouted for a potential deer and/or pronghorn hunt next year,,,and generally had a great time,,,,

even got into an inadvertent "duck search" but that's a story for a different time and place,,,but he spent 5 minutes looking for that flight challenged bird before I called him off,,,

image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (125.46 KiB) Viewed 974 times


image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (181.51 KiB) Viewed 974 times


image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (106.1 KiB) Viewed 974 times
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby orhunter » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:18 am

Glad you two enjoyed yourselves. Headed there next week if I can secure accommodations.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 4831
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:20 am

That sounds like a ton of fun. Oh and that tent is about the best I've ever used. My buddy has one and let me borrow it a few years ago. I just need to shell out the cash for one of my own.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:03 am

RowdyGSP wrote:That sounds like a ton of fun. Oh and that tent is about the best I've ever used. My buddy has one and let me borrow it a few years ago. I just need to shell out the cash for one of my own.



that thing stood up to the 50+ mph winds last Wednesday,,,,great tent so far,,that "Family Camper" is a might big for one person, but it's great for me and the grandboys,,,
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:04 am

orhunter wrote:Glad you two enjoyed yourselves. Headed there next week if I can secure accommodations.



good luck and travel safe!!
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby Willie T » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:36 pm

Sounds like a great time JD
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:26 am

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:06 pm

Awesome , glad you had a good hunt.
Earl is looking good. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:19 pm

thanks
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby ryanr » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:26 am

Thank you for sharing the photos. Looks like a great time to spend with your dog.

What brand/model tent is that? I'm tired of cramming into a so-called "2-person" tent for camping and I'm weighing my options for something a little more comfortable that's also quality.

A trip like that out West is something I'm really considering. I really wanna get my dogs out West but I have a desire to keep costs down. A couple times I've seen photo essays from hunters here camping/hunting right on BLM or Nat. Forest land it seems like I'd enjoy that. I think I'm most interested in sharptails, huns & pheasants. And looking to keep the chances of running into a grizzly very, very low. How do you guys start planning something like this? What resources to you consult, etc? Having never hunted out West I'm kind of clueless on it.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm
Location: Lehighton, PA

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby JTracyII » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:12 am

Good stuff. I am headed to Nebraska this weekend to chase Sharptails and Chickens.
Oxbow's Kindle the Fire, UT I, 201 pts, NA I 108 pts.
Cross Timber's Above and Beyond, NA I, 110 pts.
https://crosstimbergundogs.com/
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1117
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby J D Patrick » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:54 am

ryanr wrote:Thank you for sharing the photos. Looks like a great time to spend with your dog.

What brand/model tent is that? I'm tired of cramming into a so-called "2-person" tent for camping and I'm weighing my options for something a little more comfortable that's also quality.

A trip like that out West is something I'm really considering. I really wanna get my dogs out West but I have a desire to keep costs down. A couple times I've seen photo essays from hunters here camping/hunting right on BLM or Nat. Forest land it seems like I'd enjoy that. I think I'm most interested in sharptails, huns & pheasants. And looking to keep the chances of running into a grizzly very, very low. How do you guys start planning something like this? What resources to you consult, etc? Having never hunted out West I'm kind of clueless on it.



that tent is a Springbar ( https://springbar.com/collections/springbar-usa ) family camper

I went with them due to USA made, quality, and warranty etc

a similar tent, but made in China, is the Kodiak Tents ( https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-14-ft ... 30th-2020/ )
I got lots of good reviews on those as well

as far as Grizzlies? Stay east - as in eastern Montana, etc

I do lots of research, but the best way for me has been to "just go" - each year I learn more and more,,,wish (wishing is such a poor COA) that I had started this 40 years ago,,,
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby ryanr » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks JD for the info and links. FYI to all, apparently all the Springbar tents are currently sold out. I guess a whole lot of people are preparing to get the heck out of Dodge!
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm
Location: Lehighton, PA

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 pm

JD, Looks like a great adventure. What's next?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2822
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:02 am

ryanr wrote:Thanks JD for the info and links. FYI to all, apparently all the Springbar tents are currently sold out. I guess a whole lot of people are preparing to get the heck out of Dodge!



they build them in surges - they were "sold out" when I wanted one, called them, got on the notification list, and when they had some done up I got it
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Montana boondoggle

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:05 am

AverageGuy wrote:JD, Looks like a great adventure. What's next?



leaving this afternoon headed to SW Louisiana for the teal opener on Saturday,,,plus we need to do some clean up around camp from Hurricane Laura but luckily we were spared the worst of it (our camp is just east of the Rockefeller Refuge),,,
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 am
Location: North Carolina

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests