Opening Day Sunday Grouse

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Opening Day Sunday Grouse

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:04 am

Sunday was our opener for ruffs, blues and spruce in Idaho. I have grouse within 15 minutes of me, but I prefer the country 45 minutes to an hour away from me. Rowdy being pretty fresh on the Injured Reserve, although doing well got to stay home for his first grouse opener in 8 seasons. He's 8 and never missed an opener, but Misty, my English setter did pretty good for an inexperienced tripod hunting spots I'd never been to before. We tried a new spot that I thought seemed like a grousy area. Misty had a pretty erratic search and didn't really know what she was doing, but did get birdy around some grouse tracks, although we never found any birds there. She covered 6.1 miles in that spot.

Drove around for 45 minutes getting some windshield time and came across a nice, overgrown gated logging road, that ran along a creek about 100 yards away with timber in between. I couldn't pass it up, but like most ruffed grouse hunting up here, it's THICK, in terms of trees early season and only slightly less thick late season as the larch and maple thin it out. Misty put in another 2.7 miles on that short but good spot, where she pointed a young family group of ruffs that I heard flush 10 yards in front of me and never saw. I didn't come home empty handed in terms of dinner, though.

Oh and let me just say that having a low maintenaince coat like a GSP or wirehair is all I''ll ever own. Setters and stickers, awns, etc are like velcro with that fine, feathery fur. Especially some of the stuff I hunt. This one I just decided it was time for the hunting season cut and shaved em off. Still took a good 40 minutes.

And on that note, Rowdy is doing really well and has been on leash only. Not supposed to run (technically) until this coming Monday but I asked him if he wants to head to Montana on Friday through Sunday night to camp and chase sharptails and huns and he said he does. So I can't disappoint the boy, but we will take it easy and Misty will get a ton of wild bird experience too although she is good for about a half day which is more than I can expect out of her. Bringing the fishing rods too.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Opening Day Sunday Grouse

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:03 am

Thanks for the update. Glad you put some miles on the boots and Misty.

Good luck in MT. I'll be leaving for there in less than two weeks. Lots of Sharptails this year.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:24 am

Good stuff, I love getting out in the woods and chasing grouse! They are tough birds to get on though, I can’t even count how many times I’ve had flushes with not seeing the bird or barely seeing it through the branches.
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:05 pm

Have fun in MT, wish I was going with you.
Setters and cockleburs ha no fun. get you a dinner fork will help pick them out. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:05 pm

Drahthaar1108 wrote:Have fun in MT, wish I was going with you.
Setters and cockleburs ha no fun. get you a dinner fork will help pick them out. Forrest

I don't know how crazy I am about the thought of eating fur covered grass awns and burs... Do you put ranch on yours?
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:55 am

I’m jealous twice over Rowdy. First getting out for your grouse opener in Idaho. Second is chasing sharpies in Montana. I hope you and your dogs get into em. Dove just opened up here but the temperature has been unseasonably hot. Mid 80’s for the lows, highs around 100.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:35 pm

Thanks Willie it should be a fun time. Camping and hunting in Big Sky country. Have you been knocking down some doves at all. We have so few dove in my part of Idaho it's not even worth going after them.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:24 am

I plan to kick things off this weekend. Cricket and I scouted yesterday evening after work.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms