2019 in review

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: 2019 in review

Postby SMAbby » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:40 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Enjoyed it! Good on you for getting Joe in the Field.

I sincerely wish I could take full credit for getting Joe out, but I cant. I t was a Veterans hunt. I did meet him there and we hunted together both days. I had a great time watching my pup steal Gabby points! :lol:

I had taken him duck hunting a couple of times the year before, but handling the boat with arthritis is getting tough for me. I wanted to take him Pheasant hunting more, but the issue is, a lot of cover is super tough.

I think we should do a little better job making easy access for the ol bad asses like Joe, that got us into this stuff!
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:49 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:Great pics. Looks like another great year for you and the dogs. Thanks for sharing.

What's up with the goggles on the running dog? Eye protection?

Exactly, and I like it. Baja had a notch out of her eye, or it looks that way anyway. I just thought I would give it a try.

the 2 cons that need work by the company are:

1. These are not pets on a walk. These are not MWD. These are hunting dogs that are beating the bush pretty hard. They scratched up pretty quick. I would guess that I would need 4 sets of replacement plastic per season for each dog. A pair of replacement lenses are 20.00. not terrible, but at 20 x 4 x3 plus shipping....Mehhh.
2.in cold weather they, just like all glasses, are prone to fog. A dog can miss a mark if not careful. one time, I brought Anka in to me, the whole lens was fogged with exception of the 2 round dots that were her eyes. :lol:
3. They fit nice on the dog, but I did notice that while wearing them, Anka tends to snort. Making me wonder if they are interfering with her scenting ability. Must not be, cuz we found birds. :lol:

All in all, in warmer weather I have no real issue with them. I didnt have eye injuries either. So.....I dont know, if you have rough cover or they eyes are beat to crap and havent had time to heal, I am all for em.

I totally get laughed at......I dont give rip. :lol: :lol:
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:07 pm

I get laughed at when I upland hunt with my dad in the windy breaks of Oregon for huns. I wear ski goggles because my right eye will tear up in the wind so bad I can't see. Had my tear duct exposed from an injury 8 or 9 years ago and ever since then that eye tears up bad in the cold/wind. So I get it and would never laugh at a bird dog working. I tell my dad "this is hunting, not a fashion contest. I don't care what I look like."
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:30 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:I get laughed at when I upland hunt with my dad in the windy breaks of Oregon for huns. I wear ski goggles because my right eye will tear up in the wind so bad I can't see. Had my tear duct exposed from an injury 8 or 9 years ago and ever since then that eye tears up bad in the cold/wind. So I get it and would never laugh at a bird dog working. I tell my dad "this is hunting, not a fashion contest. I don't care what I look like."

Right on!
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Hunting & Firearms