Never brag on your shooting or your dog....

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Never brag on your shooting or your dog....

Postby Willie T » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:26 pm

Tyler went back to college Monday. It has been good to have him around for the last month. Before he left we snuck in one last hunt over the weekend. I had located a new area that I thought held good potential. I wanted to put cricket on the ground and try to shoot a few woodcock, so we put together an exploratory expedition. It turned out to be a memorable day. We had a long drive and Tyler was talking a little smack regarding his wing shooting. It was all in good fun but I warned him that karma is a funny thing.
Tyler shot the first pointed bird of the day. He really likes my old Ithaca. It has pretty well transitioned to his old Ithaca.
6C5F35B8-5257-4863-98D3-FFD6C02741B2.jpeg
6C5F35B8-5257-4863-98D3-FFD6C02741B2.jpeg (194.75 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

After the first bird Tyler fell into a slump. He missed three straight birds. Shooting Woodcock can be a challenge at times and missing is not uncommon. In this picture Tyler took of my limit, Tyler has just pointed out that he missed all three of them before I shot them and Cricket and me are laughing about it.
B4234D8E-106A-4C90-8397-069F5457F163.jpeg
B4234D8E-106A-4C90-8397-069F5457F163.jpeg (214.86 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

After Cricket delivered my limit bird, I commented about liking the way he is hunting. We took a pic. I unloaded my shotgun, and resumed our bird hunt. In short order Cricket pointed a dense thicket of briars, brush and vines. As Tyler walked to the front, the breeze carried his scent into the thicket and it exploded with pigs and hogs. All my training went straight out the window and Cricket broke. As cricket dove into the thicket with the pigs and hogs I started to fish my ecollar transmitter out of my vest. Before I came up with it he emerged from the thicket with a 10 pound pig in his mouth and came to heel. Here you go boss, got one for you. Hogs and pigs were scattered in all directions, except momma who came looking for junior who was squealing his head off. I told Cricket to “leave it” and he completed the delivery. The pig was somewhat gimped and cricket had obviously put the ivory to it. I put it on the ground and it dazedly went to mamma and off they went. We got a chuckle out of that. Cricket on the other hand was amped up. I heeled him for about a quarter mile to let him settle out of the fur induced state of intoxication before resuming our bird hunt. It didn’t work. Cricket went out of our sight as he fell off into a creek bottom. At a little over 150 yards all hell broke loose again. By the sound of things this hog was full grown and Cricket already had a hold of it. Due to the thickets we were hunting I had the transmitter for my ecollar tucked away and secured in my vest and I started digging it out. About that time the hog bolted out of the bottom straight to Tyler. Cricket was about 20’ behind it. He was chopping every time his front feet hit the ground and closing fast. Tyler mounted his shotgun with the hog at about 15 yards and coming to him. The hog saw the movement and altered course, passing Tyler at about 5’ and he pulled off it. By now I had the transmitter in my hand. I spun the dial to max and stood on the stim button. After another 35 yards he disengaged. He had closed to 10’ and was not happy about being jackknifed. We heeled out to the truck and relocated. One of the hogs nicked him pretty good in the ribs with a cutter but we did not find it till we got home.
2EFCE238-9399-4B65-8D31-D912248D15C1.jpeg
2EFCE238-9399-4B65-8D31-D912248D15C1.jpeg (65.58 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

I did get a timely correction in but I am not sure how much of an impact it made... Cricket seems to carry a grudge regarding the hogs...
Never brag on your shooting or you dog. Both will speak for themselves and either one can blow up on you.
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Never brag on your shooting or your dog....

Postby Willie T » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:33 pm

After relocating Cricket went back to hunting feathers and Tyler took two more birds to fill his limit.
F6986EA5-8C54-45BC-B8EE-B92F000D4DFB.jpeg
F6986EA5-8C54-45BC-B8EE-B92F000D4DFB.jpeg (190.06 KiB) Viewed 2069 times

Hunting with my son is the best of times for me. Regardless of where we are or what we are after, it seems we always manage to have a good time....
Willie T
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:18 pm

Willie, awesome hunt, you told the truth , never brag on your dog or your shooting. Had a big boar hog cut Flo just missed the juggler and wind pipe, he had 3" cutters.
BUT I will a little, got my young dog (Gus )pointing woodcock very good, me him and my old dog Flo Hunted every day had some awesome dog work, I got a new 28 GA CZ Bobwhite and my shooting was not to good, a lot of shot trees, but fun. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Forrest, awesome news on Gus. It is always a special time for me to watch a young dog assimilate things. My son described shooting Woodcock to be like hitting a sparrow while trying to shoot through the eye of a needle...
Willie T
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:23 pm

Now that is exciting! I imagine that little porker took a good shaking. Sounds like that transmitter should be mounted to the forearm of that scattergun so you can shoot hogs and put the juice to the dog :crazyeyes: Your son has some big brass ones not sure I could lay off shooting a hog that close running at me. Even if it was 8 shot he would have more than likely got a face full of both barrels. Great story!
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:39 am

Hey, Who doesn't love em some Bacon! Great Story Willie T.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:03 am

LongHammer wrote:Now that is exciting! I imagine that little porker took a good shaking. Sounds like that transmitter should be mounted to the forearm of that scattergun so you can shoot hogs and put the juice to the dog :crazyeyes: Your son has some big brass ones not sure I could lay off shooting a hog that close running at me. Even if it was 8 shot he would have more than likely got a face full of both barrels. Great story!

Added some excitement for sure. We didn’t want to kill a hog with Cricket. Along the lines of Forrest’s comments, hog dogs have a short shelf life. The hog was trying to put some distance between itself and Cricket. Taking the path of least resistance with a snapping snarling Pudelpointer up its butt rather than aggression is what brought us all together...if I can avoid it, Cricket does not need any more motivation when it comes to hating on a hog....
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:26 pm

Willie ,now your going to have to hunt woodcock with a cut collar and cut vest. let the fun begin. HA just kidding cricket is to nice of a dog to lose to a hog.
Had a few crippled rack deer do some damage too. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:43 am

Shooting woodcock is akin to reaching a glass on the top shelf with your elbows taped to your sides. In my experience anyway. Easy birds to shoot, if you have a shot. But most of the time you lumberjack it and shoot trees.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:37 pm

great adventure there and agree on the "don't brag" concept - always backfires!!
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:46 pm

So the evening before I hunted last weekend a police officer that went with us said he never misses. That wigeon at 15 yards stalled with feet down is alive today because of that statement 3 clean whiffs. He will never live that down.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:35 am

LongHammer wrote:So the evening before I hunted last weekend a police officer that went with us said he never misses. That wigeon at 15 yards stalled with feet down is alive today because of that statement 3 clean whiffs. He will never live that down.

If things go south, it puts a target on your back....
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms