Crazy Morning

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Crazy Morning

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Headed south this morning to scout for ducks and maybe make a predator stand or 2. Got to where I saw quite a bit of sign last time I was down there pretty early so I set up to wait it out in the pitch black and light fog. It was so dark I could not even see Otto sitting next to me. I heard Otto get up and take a few steps something was out there. Then it happened a challenge bark from a coyote and it was close maybe 40 yards. Otto took off like a rocket into what turned into a growling snarling barking furval. There where coyotes everywhere! Ottos tags jingling gave me and idea of where he was and 2 times coyotes got within 10 feet of me. They were so fixed on Otto I was not even a consideration sitting hidden in a creosote bush. I am guessing there were at least 4 coyotes swirling around. After about 8 minutes things slowed down and those yotes must have winded me. They went out to about 300 yards and challenge howled at us for another 5 minutes before moving on. Otto was pretty proud of his little coyote party. How he never gets injured i dont know I just wish I could have seen it. Come sun up we had no takers to the calling and the ducks have not made it that far south yet. All in all a fun morning.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Crazy Morning

Postby orhunter » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:13 pm

Otto is a stud. How Otto pulled it off would go down in dog history. Got a tape??? My old dog fought off two, can't imagine 4....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:50 pm

It wasn't really a fight. Just a serious game of grab a$$. I don't really worry about coyotes like other folks do. I just never had them dang near spill into my lap while sitting in the dark before. It was awesome!
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:11 am

Sounds like you and Otto had quite a Rodeo going on for awhile. Seems You two have a great partnership going on.

Spud got into a litter of 15 lb coyote pups when he was around 5 months old. Those pups started screaming bloody murder as Spud chased em around and the adults were howling and running to the fracas. I got there before the adults did and saved Spud's hide. At that age He would have been short work for those adult coyotes defending their pups. He has since gotten ahold of a couple of adults but I broke things up with the ecollar.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:39 pm

AverageGuy wrote: He has since gotten ahold of a couple of adults but I broke things up with the ecollar.

How do the yotes react when Spud breaks contact? Will he recall to tone in that situation or do you need to nick him?
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:53 am

LongHammer wrote:
AverageGuy wrote: He has since gotten ahold of a couple of adults but I broke things up with the ecollar.

How do the yotes react when Spud breaks contact? Will he recall to tone in that situation or do you need to nick him?

The yotes ran as fast as they could go when they got the chance to break free from Spud. He requires some ecollar to break off from a head to head engagement as this. They have started with him pointing the yotes at very close range in CRP during high winds.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:38 pm

The reality to me seems if you got a good sized agressive GWP/ DD your average coyotes only hope is to run as fast and far as he can. Or pray for the ecollar :D

Ottos first coyote experience was at around the 5 month mark too. I called in a pair he broke as I filled one with#4 buck at about 35 yards. He dissapeared into a creek hot on the trail of thankfully the one that was hit. I ran over and he was shaking the stuffing out of a soon to expire female. 2 weeks earlier he stretched out a grey fox. He has been hooked ever since. It was actually the Predatormaster forum that lead me here and to the GWP. I can honestly say I did not buy a bird dog. Duck hunting has just been an unexpected bonus.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:28 pm

LongHammer wrote:The reality to me seems if you got a good sized agressive GWP/ DD your average coyotes only hope is to run as fast and far as he can. Or pray for the ecollar :D

:D Spud has coon kills in 4 States. Sounds like you and Otto enjoy yourselves which is the whole point and purpose of having a dog.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:00 am

I wish we had Coons in huntable numbers. I have only seen 6 in my 49 years.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:04 am

LongHammer, The MW is overrun with coons. A Buddy and his two Sons brought their Bluetick Hound "Blue" over Friday night and we took a coon hunt. Blue made 3 trees in pretty short order. Two singles on the outside and den tree on the third. I started with Hounds and really enjoy listening to a big bawl mouth Hound strike, track and tree a coon.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:44 am

LongHammer wrote:I wish we had Coons in huntable numbers. I have only seen 6 in my 49 years.

Wish I could send you some!
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:21 am

They live in town here. Cassie treed one in the front yard. It stayed up there for hours. Hottest day of the year so I went out every so often had sprayed it with the hose to help keep it cool. They used to walk up and down our fence at night till they discovered Ellie could jump six feet. Cassie cornered one under our hot tub one night. Had to go out at 2:00AM in my underwear and drag her back in the house. Cassie fetched a large 'possum one night. Boone and Crockett size.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:27 pm

orhunter wrote: Cassie fetched a large 'possum one night. Boone and Crockett size.

I have seen one live one my entire life. I was in West Virginia and sure enough I saw it just before it went under the wheel of a old Chevy Chevette. Not sure if a Chevette is a legal method of take in WV. :D
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Wow, that is a friggin' crazy morning indeed. You can't make that crap up. Glad Otto was alright.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:39 pm

Otto was at it again Saturday night while we were out camping on a duck hunt. About midnight as we were finishing up a bottle of Makers a couple hundred yards away a challenge howl. Otto got back to camp around 5 when we started making noise getting ready to hunt. I am beginning to think he just goes out looking for a piece of tail. A night of drinking by the fire a little strange? He did better than I did.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms