Scout Trip

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Scout Trip

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:33 am

Supervised a remote pit toilet removal in the high country the other day. I thought I'd walk a couple old logging roads on my way home to see if I could kick up a covey or two mountain quail that Chance and I could revisit later this month. Brought along the suped up 10/22 in case a grey squirrel revealed itself. We're totally lead free now in CA and the copper CCI ammo performed admirably (shoots dime groups @ 50 yds too). Found a decent covey of mountain birds as well.
20190919_134056-1024x1820.jpg
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Scout Trip

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:03 pm

Nice going. Squirrel what I love to eat, bite their little heads off, nibble on their tiny feet.

Not living in CA, am unfamiliar with lead ban other than it exists. Is it illegal to own and shoot bullets that contain lead or the selling of such ammo. I’m a handloader and have been for decades. I’d find it unreasonable for someone to tell me I had to dump all my lead core bullets in the recycle without some sort of reimbursement. How about enforcement? Is anybody really checking a person’s ammo? Does law enforcement actually care? How do LEO’s do a field test to determine the presence of lead? I’m not part of the lead ban bandwagon BS and would resist to the very end. Here in Oregon and neighboring Washington, we have a law mandating background checks for private gun sales. Local law enforcement agencies have openly declared they will not be a party to such unreasonable laws. I’ve had several transaction since the law went into effect without a background check and am free of a guilty conscience.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:10 pm

Beautiful photo and rifle. Squirrels are under appreciated by today's hunters it seems. Pan Fried Squirrel is delicious.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:00 pm

Nice gun , good eating
What kind of shot do you use for bird hunting ? Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:45 am

orhunter wrote:Not living in CA, am unfamiliar with lead ban other than it exists. Is it illegal to own and shoot bullets that contain lead or the selling of such ammo. I’m a handloader and have been for decades. I’d find it unreasonable for someone to tell me I had to dump all my lead core bullets in the recycle without some sort of reimbursement. How about enforcement? Is anybody really checking a person’s ammo? Does law enforcement actually care? How do LEO’s do a field test to determine the presence of lead? I’m not part of the lead ban bandwagon BS and would resist to the very end. Here in Oregon and neighboring Washington, we have a law mandating background checks for private gun sales. Local law enforcement agencies have openly declared they will not be a party to such unreasonable laws. I’ve had several transaction since the law went into effect without a background check and am free of a guilty conscience.

Lead is only banned for hunting. They have phased the ban in over the last several years so nobody should really be surprised. I still have a decent amount of leaded ammo and bullets (shotgun, big game and varmint) that's useless, for hunting anyway, in CA. I think I've been checked by wardens twice in the last 10 years but I am sure they're enforcing the ban vigorously. I am happy manufacturers stepped up to make lead-free options, particularly in the rimfire world (like 22LR and 17 HMR), so my kids can hunt small game with appropriate-sized calibers (and me too!). I can live with the lead ban. I'm definitely more bent out of shape over the background checks/fees and in-person-only purchasing associated with the new ammunition laws here in CA. Even worse, the Fish and Game Commission has recently been sued regarding the use of dogs with GPS to pursue game.

AverageGuy wrote:Beautiful photo and rifle. Squirrels are under appreciated by today's hunters it seems. Pan Fried Squirrel is delicious.

Thanks. Probably will fry 'em up. Need a couple more to make a meal for me and the boys.

Drahthaar1108 wrote:Nice gun , good eating
What kind of shot do you use for bird hunting ? Forrest

Thanks. Shooting steel 6s for quail. Have some Kent Bismuth to try as well. Bought a case of hevi 6s a few years back that I use on the couple pheasants hunts we do a season. Have everything I need to reload but I'm not sure there will be much savings over the Kents. Will still shoot lead in NV for chukar.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:38 pm

How does your dog do on Mt. quail? I have found them to be running fools that flush like crazy if you get anywhere near them! Because of this my dog has not held points well on them. He is young, so that might have something to do with it, but he has had held points a lot better for other types of birds.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:50 pm

Nice day that's a great squirrel. Good eats. I honestly can't believe that state has banned lead for hunting and now is apparently trying to ban the use of GPS on dogs for pursuing game? Like a few other states you have to realize their end plan is just to end hunting, just like they ended trapping. Get your foot in the door one BS law at a time and eventually you will get your way. That is the mentality of the anti's in California and you folks who live there need to be in an uproar over your laws changing so drastically or even at all.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:25 am

Sooty42 wrote:How does your dog do on Mt. quail? I have found them to be running fools that flush like crazy if you get anywhere near them! Because of this my dog has not held points well on them. He is young, so that might have something to do with it, but he has had held points a lot better for other types of birds.

Coveys of mountain quail and California quail gave Chance the fits his first few seasons. They're really unpredictable, the dog can do everything right and you might still not get a shot off. He's been solid the last several seasons - he just turned 7. I wish we had more mountain quail in our area. They're a super fun bird to hunt. Headed out Sunday to check out a new spot. We have an extra week this season before rifle deer opens.

RowdyGSP wrote:Nice day that's a great squirrel. Good eats. I honestly can't believe that state has banned lead for hunting and now is apparently trying to ban the use of GPS on dogs for pursuing game? Like a few other states you have to realize their end plan is just to end hunting, just like they ended trapping. Get your foot in the door one BS law at a time and eventually you will get your way. That is the mentality of the anti's in California and you folks who live there need to be in an uproar over your laws changing so drastically or even at all.

In the Fish and Game Commission's defense, they re-evaluated the GPS things a few years ago when they were first sued and reaffirmed the use tracking devices. Now they are being sued again by an "animal rights" group for allegedly failing to evaluate the impact on wildlife of the tracking devices use. Unfortunately, hunters are a minority in the state. Hunters' voices are whispers in a tornado, and the "animal rights" groups will never ever stop in this state; so it's all really a matter of when and not if. Sad.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms