2019 is off and Running

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: 2019 is off and Running

Postby orhunter » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Wow..... We have Chukars till Jan. 31st. Drive toward the setting sun.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:34 am

wonderful trip there AG,,,

can't get my better half to go on hunt trips with me, she says where I go is BORING!!

Just got back from Texas myself, quail, hogs, and rabbits - plus Earl got an "intro to javelina" - but escaped unscathed
J D Patrick
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:20 am

JD, How was the quail hunt? Expect the Javelina story is a good one.

Willie T, That often deep and always crusted snow was rough on Spud's feet and my knees. For every magical day I get hunting tight holding roosters in fresh powder, I get 10 or more of crunching through old snow announcing my every step ... Couple of days prior to leaving for SD we got 5 inches of fresh snow here and Spud and I made a loop through it the following morning. 6-7 hens held well but the only two roosters we saw came after approximately 300 yards of point/relocate pursuit into the wind. Spud finally had them corralled against a two track driveway running up the edge of the public. The first rooster went up too long. The second went out low and straight away at the edge of the late season load and choke I am using. He bounced flopping spine shot into that two track. Those roosters did not read the script about how that fresh snow was supposed to have them holding like quail ...

Forrest, Go get you some Woodcock.

Harvey, Spud and I got our first taste of wild chukars earlier this season. In 45 years of following birddogs to birds it was the funniest thing I have done so far. I need to figure out how to get more chukar in my life for sure. The challenge is my varied interests set up competing priorities all in same too short window, and I can only be in one place at a time. Making plans to get after some Ks Bobwhites and possibly geese next week, 3 hours away vs 3 days. Saw a dandy mature buck while bowhunting one evening last week so going to get on stand a couple evenings this week ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:00 am

Kent: Yea, you have no end to the ways you find to keep busy. Heck of a drive in the winter no matter where a person comes from. What's good about Chukars is when other seasons are closing down, it remains open. Generous limit of 8 birds.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:33 pm

Is a limit of 8 birds a normal occurrence with a brace of good dogs in good chucker country? Just curious cause I have never hunted them. Hell I’ve never actually traveled far enough west to see one!
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:26 am

Big E. 8 in Orygun, 6 in WA and ID. Includes Huns, either or mixed.

Number fluctuate year to year, area to area. When it's good, it's really good.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:33 pm

Nice to know the limit, but may as well be 100 considering your chances of filling it. One or two or three per day would be very satisfying.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:20 pm

Bruce: When it was good, it was really good and not too far from you, an hour's drive at most. When I got Ellie, we shot a limit every single day hunting Wednesday's and Friday's from the first of December to Jan. 31st. for five years. Every single day. Then the big decline began and to my knowledge has never come back to what it was. Wish you had the hunting now that we had back then.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:27 pm

Chinook retrieve chukar.jpg
Chinook retrieve chukar.jpg (872.69 KiB) Viewed 1976 times

I've seen your photos! Fortunately this year has been splendid compared to the last bunch.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:26 pm

Dang You Bruce, you just made me want to put some miles on the truck!
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Bigearl wrote:Is a limit of 8 birds a normal occurrence with a brace of good dogs in good chucker country? Just curious cause I have never hunted them. Hell I’ve never actually traveled far enough west to see one!

Bigearl,

Where I hunted in October the limit is 6 Huns or 6 Chukars or six of any combination of the two. Spud and I took a limit of 6 chukars out of 4 coveys one day, had one day of 5 birds made up of Huns and Chukars, another 5 bird day of 4 Huns and a Ruffed Grouse (never saw a Chukar that day), had a day where I shot 1 chukar out of 1 covey. Expect we could have had another good day in the area where we took that full limit but 10 inches of snow made it too dangerous to drive the steep mountainous 2 track trails to get there. I whiffed on a covey of Chukars on the last day (still hurts) but otherwise shot well and made good on our opportunities or those numbers would have been lower. Spud did some of the best work I have seen from him. Point and relocate pursuits on running coveys going over 200 yards at times, pointing with a long nose well off the birds when they stopped, using the wind to his advantage always, still running in lava rock on the last day. Without that our results would have been far less. I never attempted to chase coveys after they dove into the deep canyons below us, and moved on looking for the next one instead.

That was my first and total experience with hunting wild chukars so make of it what you will, but filling limits every day was not remotely realistic where we were.

Loved it and hope to do more soon.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Gypsy on point JD.jpg
Gypsy on point JD.jpg (627.31 KiB) Viewed 1945 times

Willie - you're welcome any time. The scenery is breath taking and the hunting can be so so or pretty good. Sounds like AG has a better spot bird wise but it won't be more remote (one field I hunt the canyons of is 23 miles around).
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:38 pm

Chinook and hun number one prime copy.jpg
Chinook and hun number one prime copy.jpg (947.88 KiB) Viewed 1945 times

My browser only seems to take one image at a time. I'm on satellite for internet but does anybody have any suggestions? File size?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:44 pm

Chinook nice point.jpg
Chinook nice point.jpg (771.54 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

my nine month old pup is finally figuring it out
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:52 pm

Great photos Bruce. Nice looking beast. Got some style. Looking forward to some waterfowl photos.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting & Firearms