2019 is off and Running

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: 2019 is off and Running

Postby jlw034 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:31 pm

When I die I want to come back as your dog.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:13 am

Very nice AG. Those sharpies are some sporty game birds and remain my favorite native prairie bird to pursue.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:24 am

They are sporty for sure and have always challenged me and my dogs. I want more Prairie in my life.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:13 am

Got in a nice Teal hunt Sat am. Limited out by 8:30am 5 bwt and 1 gwt. Used the 12 gauge #6 steel this time. Had my share of misses but the Northeast wind had them down low and they wanted to at least take a look at my 6 decoys. Used my V3 with Precision Hunter Light Modified choke. Pretty happy with it. I need to start taking pictures.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:28 pm

Within 35 yards those 6s ate up the teal I shot with it. Expect I will continue using them for teal or close range early season wood ducks.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:32 pm

jlw034 wrote:When I die I want to come back as your dog.

Don't steal my lines! I always say that to Kent haha.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:08 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:

Ha! He can hunt two dogs at once. You can feel free to back my points in the next life.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:02 pm

jlw034 wrote:
RowdyGSP wrote:

Ha! He can hunt two dogs at once. You can feel free to back my points in the next life.

You guys need to aim for someone younger and better shot. :lol:
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:56 pm

My 70 year old Brother and I made a public marsh duck hunt yesterday afternoon/evening. Ducks working in the far back part of the marsh, 400 hundred yards of land between the gravel parking lot and the water so no way to use a boat. We ended up walking 3.4 miles in our chest waders, carrying shell belts, fanny packs, shotguns, stools, 6 decoys a piece and one Lucky Duck spinner. Our efforts were rewarded with some in your face action as we hunted in full camo sitting on our stools in the marsh using natural cover, just a few yards from our decoy spread. Mostly BWT. Raining and overcast made for poor photos but got a few.

Our modest spread in the right spot.

A single Drake Pintail flying high in the distance responded to calling in typical Pintail fashion. Wary, high, circling multiple times. Eventually he came over the top high but not high enough and I dumped him. They are a beautiful bird.

Our view walking out.

Made a couple of evening bowhunts when the cooler weather rolled in. Hunted Friday evening ahead of our duck hunt. We have a 4 point on a side restriction so this beast of a 6 point will never be legal unless he grows another point. He was around my ground blind at 20 yards and less for several minutes. His live weight would be in the 275 to 300 lbs range. Can't tell you how much I wanted to place an arrow in the right spot and eat him. The cooler weather had him acting rutty as I watched him work two different licking branches and scrapes, and he grunted and chased a doe past my blind at less than 10 yards. Took a little grainy video with my phone when it was safe to do so. Antlers aside he is a magnificent picture of health mature buck and I thought some folks might enjoy seeing him as I sure did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkBsvvBQjfI
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:00 pm

The saga continues...... Thanks for the update. You guys and your funny point count, always confuses me. You call it six, we call it a fork (2). Doesn’t matter, they all look good in the freezer.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:01 pm

AG, awesome glad you and your brother had a good hunt, spud is having fun too.
Don't understand point restriction , once a six point always a six . 300lbs is a big deer, our mature bucks are 180 to 200, 200 being rare. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:39 pm

Drahthaar1108 wrote:AG, awesome glad you and your brother had a good hunt, spud is having fun too.
Don't understand point restriction , once a six point always a six . 300lbs is a big deer, our mature bucks are 180 to 200, 200 being rare. Forrest

Forrest, I go back far enough to the era where we killed 95% of our 18 month old bucks annually. We put over 500,000 red coats in the woods during our rifle deer season. I love to eat venison and wild game is 95% of our diet in my house, but I also like mature animals with big horns, so I would part of the movement that wanted to address our age class problem in our herd and grow more mature bucks.

The best solution would be for hunters to be educated on how to identify a mature buck vs a immature buck. That 6 point is WAY obvious to be a fully mature buck. Unfortunately the more clear cut regulation was to say a buck must have 4 points on a side which assuming a match on the other side is an 8 point. That is not perfect as there are certainly many nice young bucks with an 8 point rack, (I passed a 2.5 year old 8 point at 15 yards Thursday night bowhunting), but it has been progress and our age class of bucks has improved.

Having to pass that behemoth of a 6 point is a prime example of the downside to the regulation. That beast will be spreading his inferior antler genetics to our herd for the rest of his days unless he grows some non-typical sticker points to get to 4 or more points on one side ...

If Missouri would move its rifle season out of the peak of rut as bordering Iowa and Kansas do, our age class of mature bucks would bump up a notch and we would easily be the best state in the Union. We have the genetics and habitat, but our peak of rut intense pressure rifle season takes way too many immature bucks out. An issue where it is impossible to make everyone happy it seems and I doubt it will ever change.

Probably more than you wanted to hear, but you can tell I am passionate about my Whitetails as I am about my dogs ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:17 pm

The Wife, Spud and I arrived back home last night, worn slick. Spud and I's first experience hunting wild Chukars. It was an over the top experience all around in spectacularly beautiful, rugged country. Have some photos and stories to share.

First day of hunting we were driving on a remote 2 track headed towards Chukar country and we passed through Aspens along the river and spotted a Ruffed Grouse move into the timber. Chukar hunting would have to wait and Spud and I headed into the timber down below us. Short while later Spud is on point, I approach, a Grouse flushes and just as it disappears behind a wall of foliage I am swinging hard to catch up and fire a load. Leaves and the grouse fell, with the grouse rolling further down the steep incline below us. Spud makes the retrieve as I claw my way back up to the Truck above us, with my shotgun on my shoulder and using both hands to grab vegetation. We were on the board with the First Ruffed Grouse for both Spud and I.

Still the First day of the hunt we moved on to country that looked like it might hold some Chukars and began our hunt. Not long after Spud went on point and I approached Shotgun at port arms. About 25 yards from Spud a major racket occurred as a giant, fully plumaged, magnificent Cock Sage Grouse lumbered into flight, flying broadside in full view. It was a Taxidermy bird with a full and beautiful tail streaming behind. Alas Sage Grouse are not legal game for Non-residents and I stood and took in the view. Short while later Spud had another find and point on two more Sage Grouse. Spud's first encounters with Sage Grouse.

We moved on, Spud made game and went on point. I approached, Spud broke, tracked game and went on point again. This went on for 200 yards. Spud remaining cool headed and intense as he kept in contact with whatever it was that kept moving and stopping ahead of him. Spud on point again, me approaching with shotgun at port arms, winded from the long fast paced pursuit. A covey of Huns erupted and I managed a 2 shot double. This day is getting better by the minute!

This scene repeated itself a short while later when Spud again pursued, pointed, relocated, pointed again ... on a running covey which also turned out be Huns. I shot another 2 shell double and we ended our first day with a Ruffed Grouse, 4 Huns from 2 coveys, two points on 3 Sage Grouse and not a Chukar sighted.

Our Second day fulfilled my Dreams for hunting Wild Chukar that was the focus of this quest. Spud again put on a clinic in hunting up and handling long running coveys, pointing and relocating many times in long running pursuits, keeping an intense but cool head as he did. It was a banner day ending with both our First wild Chukar and our First Full limit of Chukar, taking 6 birds out of 4 nice sized coveys. Spud made two cripple bird recoveries in extremely steep and rocky terrain.

Pointing a Covey of Chukars

More Chukar retrieves

Spud just about to make the summit after going far down that extremely steep and rocky slope to bring this one to hand.

Chukar Country. If you look closely you can see Spud on point as I close in at port arms.

Hunting the Benches above the Canyons for Chukar

We both had nothing left in the Tank

Took a day off for rest and got snowed/rained out one day which then affected access due to unsafe trail conditions in the mountains. We were never able to hunt our Best Chukar spot again, but we ended the trip with a day of 3 Huns taken out of two big coveys and 2 Chukars taken out of one huge covey. Per the Garmin Spud was on point 125 yards off of that covey of Chukars. So far that I was taken completely by surprise when they blew up as I was approached Spud down the steep incline below me.

I took this video on that last day of the trip. Spud was still digging for birds. His use of the wind and his ground pattern search could not have been better. He is 3.5 years old in his 4th hunting season and I judge this his best work so far. I saw him point, relocate and bump one single Hun but other than that the dog was flawless on running coveys of Huns and Chukars, one after the other, days in a row. He hunted up and handled three new species of birds in new country, Ruffed Grouse, Sage Grouse and Chukars, and put in excellent work on the Huns which we had hunted before. His feet held up amazingly well as he ran in the rocks everywhere he went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnpeuqqtZik

The scenery was Spectacular everywhere we went. Too many photos to post but here are couple.

I am Blessed to have this Dog and the Experiences we share.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Awesome AG. For those of us who are so afflicted, there is nothing quite like exploring new country behind a good dog. Thanks for bringing me along. I enjoy your photography.

Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:40 am

What a story! I'm sure the camera doesn't do it justice, but those are great shots. Someday I'll work up the nerve to make that adventure. Thanks for sharing.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting & Firearms