Looking for Tom

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Looking for Tom

Postby flitecontrol » Tue May 07, 2019 1:18 pm

After a dissapointing turkey season here at home, I'm headed to Nebraka to see if I can change my luck!
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Looking for Tom

Postby AverageGuy » Tue May 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Good Luck!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue May 07, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks. I hope to repeat the success I had on my first turkey trip there. Heard some gobbling on the roost as the sun was going down on the first day and thought I was where I needed to be early the next morning. But the wind was blowing pretty strong and I didn't hear a turkey. Mid morning, I began easing further in the direction I'd heard them earlier. Peeked over the top of a ridge, and the slope on the adjacent ridge was covered in turkeys! I took my time getting to that ridge, and called as I was moving. No response. Having busted turkeys before, I stopped when I thought I was getting near to where I'd seen them. Sat down in a clump of small pines, and was putting chalk on the box call when a hen stepped out in front of me. I forgot about the box call, got the gun up and in less than a minute a nice Tom came out trailing the hen. Boom! It was after lunchtime before I got off the high ground and into the valley where I'd camped. I walked through a camp with four guys sitting around enjoying a cold beverage. One asked if it was me that shot about an hour ago. I told him yes. He asked where I was from, and I told him Louisiana. Then he asked how long I'd been hunting - second day. Obviously a little frustrated, he said he and his buddies had been hunting there for several years and had never shot a turkey. I responded that turkeys can be hunted any time of day, but it was hard to kill them from camp. The bird weighed 19 1/2 lbs at the check station.

Going to be a physically tougher hunt this time. I now have hearing aids and can't hear them gobbling as far off. Plus, don't have the stamina for climbing I had a quarter century ago. But it will be fun whether I connect or not. Heck, just hearing a Tom makes my day. Seeing one makes my season, and killing one holds me over till next year.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue May 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Great Story FC. Hope you have a great hunt, win, loose or draw.

All my hunting seems to be more physical these days. I started turkey hunting 44 years ago driving to the Southern Missouri Ozarks armed with Maps of the Mark Twain National Forest and a fresh set of young legs. I used to chase the gobbling birds, traveling light with a slate call, mouth call, a couple of extra shells in my pocket and a shotgun. It was great day just to hear a gobbler, getting close even better, seeing one was a big day and killing one was over the top.

Now I carry a sporting good store in my vest, couple of decoys, snacks, water, seat to sit comfortably on, and stay in one spot a whole lot more and longer than I ever used to. Scouting and patience kills far more turkeys than run and gun ever did is my experience.

Look forward to hearing about your hunt. Safe Travels.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Wed May 08, 2019 10:25 am

I saw a nice smaller Tom this weekend out dog training on the farm. Of course, I wasn't hunting....got my training partner excited and he wanted to stop dog training to go hunt him. I told him the story of how I like to hunt turkey's in the fall with the dog. My technique doesn't put a trophy on the wall, unless it is by chance, but puts some good eating in my belly!
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:01 pm

FC, hope you have a great hunt. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 am

Well, the Nebraska turkeys are safe from me. The place I hunted before has changed a lot in over 30 years. In two days of rigorous hunting, I discovered the hills are much steeper and there are a lot more hunters. Found a couple of droppings at a roost site, and footprints (human) everywhere I trod. Never heard one and my body didn't want any more punishment, so I came home. I now have much more sympathy for my dog when he can't go any more after several days of hard hunting!

But I did see some beautiful country and, once there, had some great weather. On the trip up it was raining buckets. The Kansas Turnpike/Interstate 35 was closed due to high water. Traffic was routed to U.S. highway 81, and at one point the Ninnescah River was up to the road shoulders. A few more inches of rise and that route too would have been closed. When I returned, the river had dropped several feet, but like all the water channels in northern Oklahome, Kansas, and south central Nebraska, was still flooding. Drifted logs and other debris were scattered in fields and clogging culverts. Farmers are going to have to clear a lot of it to be able to till their land.

Going to look into getting into a local hunting lease that has turkeys. Maybe they'll offer a discount since I have no interest in shooting deer. Deer hunting is the reason most of these clubs exist.
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms