Last Day of Bird Season

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Last Day of Bird Season

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 am

Yesterday was the last day of upland bird season in KS. I really wanted to go, but we had 17 below zero temp on Wed and me leaving would mean the Wife would be home alone and doing the outdoor chores Wed evening and Thursday. She told me she would be fine and we should go. So we did.

Leaving at noon Wed. It was 6 degrees yesterday morning. Using a camera was difficult as I had to remove heavy gloves and the camera was slow to wake up, prone to frosting over. I did the best I could. Looking for a better camera for next year.

First point of the day on a single. One of Many.

Another Single

Covey Point

Single Point

One of Many. Every bird that hit the ground was recovered.

Covey Point

Covey Point. Birds were running off at the time I took the photo and Spud relocated and looped out in front and cut them off a moment after I snapped this photo.

Last Bird on our 2 man Limit

If I look like an exhausted old bird hunter its because I was. 10 miles for the Humans, 6+ hours for Spud, still hunting on a run and pointing birds as we walked back to the Ranger limited out. Warmed up into the 30s by the late afternoon. Only day this season we shot a double limit. 7 coveys and a Bunch of work on singles.

Goose hunting is next up.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Last Day of Bird Season

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:33 am

Great pics, great dog, wonderful wife! Makes me long for the days when bob whites were common in the South.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:53 am

That's how you go out with a bang! Glad you were able to have a great last day. Thanks for the photos. Here it started out at 27 when I got up and hit 56 in the afternoon.

Headed to New Zealand for a month of summer on Sunday. If I survive the plane ride.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:54 pm

What an awesome way to finish another great season. That Spud sure seems like a great one... Thanks for sharing all of the great stories and pictures. Gonna miss 'em over the course of the next several months.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm

Thank You Gentlemen. Harvey, you hunting anything while you are there? Fishing?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:26 pm

What a great hunt. Fond memories to go into the off-season with.

Raising a glass to another great year.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:41 pm

Awesome way to finish up the season. -12 DEG don't think I could take that. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Kent; No fishing or hunting. Wrong island. I know of a fellow on the north island who could probably arrange something but we won't be there. You can Google his videos, GCjetski. Cool dude.

I kinda looked into hunting there and it's all sort of canned, high fence, not real hunting. Not my kind of thing. Odd to be driving through the country side and see Red Deer and elk being farmed. Some impressive bulls.... that will eat from your hand.

You being an archer, wondering whatcha got for rifles? Just finished putting together a .35 Whelen. Mounted a Leupold VXIII 1 3/4 X 6 and a limb saver recoil pad a couple of days ago. Will still kick like hell. Won't be able to shoot it till we get back and weather permitting.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:33 pm

Maybe there is some peacock hunting available:
http://ceskyfousek.co.nz/2016/07/16/hunting-peacock/
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:05 am

You have one helluva wife... I hope you are treating her to something special for that. That is a keeper for sure. As always love your adventures.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:32 am

Sooty: I've seen the video of shooting them mutated turkeys. Dunno what to think? Will try to get some info on the CFNZ club, compare notes if I can. Should be cool. Thanks for the link.

Eric: No, just the opposite. I'm going with her. We were there a few years ago. Looks like Oregon, like we never left home... They have weird plants and few birds, streams are sterile. I can tag along on this trip and consider it money in the bank when it's my turn..... Will make the best of it by enjoying the weather and a few beers. Hope I don't have to drive as much this trip. Last time we were there 15 days covering both islands by car, 2500 miles on the wrong side of the road.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:47 am

Harvey, I am not a big rifle guy but I have a few. Model 70 in 300 Win Mag that I killed my first elk and 2nd Moose with and has not left the safe since, a Sako 85M Finlight in 270 WSM that is a sweet rifle to carry and shoot and an excellent caliber. I shot my first moose from the right front shoulder exiting out the left hip with a Barnes all copper bullet using the Sako. When Savage discontinued making the 99s I bought a lightweight in .308 and have taken some of my nicest Whitetails with it. And I have a BLR in .308 and it is what I use the most now. Extremely short and lightweight makes it really nice to handle and use in a tree stand or stalking. I am not a long range shooter and over half of my rifle whitetails have been taken within bow range.

Was in a Treestand when this Buck followed the doe he was breeding out on the edge of the brush as she fed in the corn stubble. Jumped down out of the stand, ran a big loop to get the wind right and stalked in and shot him at last light through a hole in the brush at 30 yards with that Savage 99.

Shot this Buck on a farm we owned in KS stalking to within 40 yards and picking a hole in the brush to get a bullet through, using the BLR.

Rowdy, yea the Wife is a Keeper for sure. Farm Girl from KS, likes to fish, helps me train my dogs, work the farm, great cook, Christian Woman who does for other all the time. She has been with me many times on my hunting trips - Canada, MT, NM, SD, KS, IA, MO.

I attended the Funeral of a Good Friend that morning and was broke down from the loss. So I took my Loved Ones to the Marsh for an afternoon teal hunt to heal up. The Wife and my first GWP High Hopes Hank. Once in a Lifetime Gal and Dog. Hank was 14 and on his last duck hunt.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:14 am

Kent: Living here on the coast, I don't do any long range hunting either. I shot one bull at over 200 yards and one buck at over 100 yards. If I averaged everything else together it would come out to 30 yards, maybe less. My last and biggest bull was 5 yards, my last buck was 3 yards. All rifle kills. You've got some cool guns, I'm a boring bolt action guy. All my rifles are chamber for odd ball cartridges with the exception of .22LR. From small to big, .22 Hornet, .250-3000, .257 Roberts, .300 H&H (2), .338-06AI and finally .35 Whelen. When I got into bird hunting in the mid 90's and they started logging my hunting areas, I quit big game hunting for the most part but I kept on acquiring stuff. I sold the .257 Roberts I'd hunted with for years as I had a feeling the barrel was getting tired. Dumb reason but I did it anyhow. Out of the rifles I now have, only one has killed anything and that is my original .300 H&H. That will change this year if I can draw/buy tags in Wyoming and Montana. Will try to use as many rifles as I can just to show they work. My focus will be on Pronghorns and Whitetails because they're so good eating. I know of a guy in Wyoming who is over run with Whitetails and he'll let me shoot all the does I can haul back to Oregon. All hunts will be strictly meat hunts, horns don't interest me this year. I want to make an AK fishing trip also since the fishing will be crappy down this way. My wife gave away too much of our canned salmon and I gotta replenish the supply. What a shame.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms