PPs Are Great Duck Hunters and More - Final Chapter

Wanna brag about an accomplishment or share something good? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

PPs Are Great Duck Hunters and More - Final Chapter

Postby Hdc » Wed May 29, 2019 6:36 pm

I don’t know where to start. Due to an incurable brain tumor and the effects of same, we had to say goodbye to Cricket on Memorial Day. He was just 7.5 years old. I have been crying on and off every few hours since. I can’t think, I can’t work, and I can’t seem to focus on anything. I truly believe he was the best dog I will every have the pleasure and honor of calling my buddy, my pal, and my friend. I notably don’t want to call myself his “owner” because I never really considered myself to be his owner. He was more like a family member and a hunting/exploring partner.

I want to thank this site. In the years of research spent before making the decision to get a Pudelpointer, I gained more valuable information from this site than anywhere else. In the years after my buddy arrived at our home, the training information and general support I received from posters on this site was invaluable. This site also provided me a place to post yearly updates on my life and adventures with Cricket. I commonly go back and review those posts just to remind myself of the good times we have had and everything I have learned over the years. I have had dozens of inquiries over the years from people who were thinking about getting their first Pudelpointer. I have ALWAYS told them to go to this site, read my yearly updates about Cricket; then, call me to discuss any questions they may have. Most call, but very few have any questions. They simply say that having read my posts, they have decided that a Pudelpointer is the next dog for them.

I know that recently I have missed a yearly update or two, but that was due to the fact that the pictures I had posted were no longer on my posts, and I didn’t know how to post new pictures. I didn’t think the posts would be as meaningful without the pics. I now see that the pictures have returned, and I am grateful for that. I have also joined several FB groups devoted to PPs and have spent a great deal of time on those sites. Posting pictures on those FB sites has never been a problem.

The good news is that Cricket has sired multiple litters, and pups from those litters have turned out to be exceptional dogs. Most all that have been tested have done well, and even the ones that have not been tested have turned out to be great hunters. One of my closest hunting friends has one of Cricket’s sons, and I get to hunt with him all of the time. Another close hunting friend has one of Cricket’s granddaughters.

Even the guy we hunt with in North Dakota (Doc) has one of Cricket’s sons. We go to ND every October for our annual pheasant hunt. This last trip, Doc told me that his last dog was a German Wirehaired named Cole. He had Cole for 13 plus years and was convinced that he had never seen a better pheasant dog and certainly would never own one better. In fact, when Cole died, he decided he wasn’t going to get another dog. After a few years of watching our PPs work, he changed his mind and asked to get a Cricket puppy. His new hunting buddy is now 2 or 3 years old, and on this last trip Doc said, “I was wrong. I thought Cole was the best pheasant dog I had ever seen, but this dog is better.” (I am tearing up as I type this)

The better news is that I have had several breeders who have heard about my loss and have offered to get me a new pup as soon as I am ready for one. That day will come, I am just not sure how soon.

In closing, I truly appreciate all the folks who post on this site and want to just thank you for letting me learn from you and share my experiences.

RIP – Killbucks Woodville Cricket (Jan. 6, 2012 – May 27, 2019)
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: PPs Are Great Duck Hunters and More - Final Chapter

Postby orhunter » Wed May 29, 2019 8:24 pm

Sorry to hear. There are no words to ease the pain, only time. Lots of time.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 pm

It's tough to lose one, especially when they go too soon. Hope the new pup, whenever you get it, helps fill the hole.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu May 30, 2019 6:43 am

Sorry to read this news. I always enjoyed following along with you and Cricket on your posts. They left no doubt what a great dog he was and how much you two enjoyed each other.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Thu May 30, 2019 12:34 pm

I am sorry for your loss. They are with us for such a short time but bring an intense joy to our hearts. I dont know what else to say but to share a small portion of your sadness and go hug my two buddies.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu May 30, 2019 3:54 pm

Hdc, there really are no words but allow me to offer my sincerest condolences. I really enjoyed reading your annual write-ups and scrolling through your photos. I am sure you and Cricket steered a lot of prospective owners towards the PP with those posts. Cricket was clearly something special, may he rest in peace and may time allow your hurt fade but your memories sharpen.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DonT » Fri May 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Sorry for your loss, he must have been a wonderful friend, far too young.
DonT
Pup
Pup

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:13 pm

So sorry for your loss , don't wait get a pup now it will ease the pain. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Deuce » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:18 am

ugh... this is heart breaking. We came to this site around the same time and I've loved the yearly updates on Cricket.

Thinking of you in this challenging time. Thankfully, you have quite the bank of memories to pull from.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Brags and Wags