PudelPointer Breeders

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

PudelPointer Breeders

Postby bglass207 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:13 am

Hello all, new user to the forum here. I am a grouse and duck hunter from central Maine. After doing extensive research on breeds, I have decided that a Pudelpointer would be the best fit for my family for multiple reasons. With such few breeders available I am looking for recommendations on a breeder that is capable of "starting" a dog. I work as a Merchant Marine in the Oil Field doing 3 weeks on 3 weeks off schedule. Meaning when I am home I have plenty of time to dedicate to training but have 3-week stints, my wife will be in charge. Trying to take some of the burdens off of her shoulders, I would like to get a puppy that has been started. Thank you everyone for your time and any advice you may have!!

-Brendan
bglass207
Pup
Pup

Re: PudelPointer Breeders

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:27 pm

I am also a Merchant Marine, 2 weeks on and 2 off, I don't like the down time with my dogs especially a young dog, but it has always worked out, some pups actually like the break I think.
You could always get a pup and send it to a trainer after it gets some age, have your wife work on obedience while you are at work. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:18 pm

I’m not the most knowledgeable on this subject, but a good place to start is NAPPA’s website. pudelpointer.net. There is a list for f breeders on their website
Sooty42
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dmog » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:57 am

I would think that the money you are are thinking about investing will not limit your choice in breeder geographically. Flying the pup/dog will only be a drop in the bucket in the overall scheme of your suggested scenario. If you have not trained/hunting with the versatile breeds before, then I would recommend you get the pup at home and do what you can while your home with wife working on obedience while your gone until the pup reaches an age that you would get the most bang for your buck with a professional trainer. Each dog is different but that would be 6-12 months old. That bonding time and you and your wife learning the pup's body language has no substitute in the long run in my opinion. PM me if you want a couple breeder and/or trainer recommendations but they are not in your area. They would be midwest area so you are looking at long drives or flying.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mustad » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:04 pm

You won't find any PP breeders in Maine. That said, you should call Blaine and Patti Carter at Merrymeeting kennels in Brunswick. They will definitely be able to point you in the right direction. If you don't mind a little distance, Dave Trahan is only a couple hours from you. He's a DK/Shorthair breeder, but would be an amazing choice to get your pup started. PM me if you need contact info.
mustad
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Pointers