Dual Sire Breeding

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dual Sire Breeding

Postby JTracyII » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:41 pm

How many here have known someone who has performed a dual sire breeding? Seems useful to someone wanting to line breed on a certain female. I could see other reasons for doing it too. Seems interesting to me.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Dual Sire Breeding

Postby JONOV » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:05 pm

JTracyII wrote:How many here have known someone who has performed a dual sire breeding? Seems useful to someone wanting to line breed on a certain female. I could see other reasons for doing it too. Seems interesting to me.

I know only a little about it, but it seems like the hassle factor and the unreliability (that you'll get a distribution between sires) make the idea one where the juice isn't wort the squeeze. It would be aggravating to get 6 from A and 1 from B, I imagine.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bwjohn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 pm

each egg will be fertilized by a different dog. So, 4 pups to dog a and 3 to dog b. DNA testing would tell which belongs to which. two dogs can not fertilize the same egg.

brandon
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:31 pm

bwjohn wrote:each egg will be fertilized by a different dog. So, 4 pups to dog a and 3 to dog b. DNA testing would tell which belongs to which. two dogs can not fertilize the same egg.

brandon

That is what I have read too. This could be helpful to someone wanting to have pups out of the same female from two sires to perhaps breed together and line breed on. It would be expensive though because if the studs were not your own you may have to pay two stud fees and possibly vet bills too if you were having semen shipped.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm

I know of a recent multiple-sired litter. All pups ended up being sired by one of the sires. I have heard this is pretty common where all pups end up being sired by only one of the dogs.

I really don't see much use for it. It really just seems like more hassle and expense for the most part. The one case where I think it makes sense is if you are wanting to "backup" a low probability breeding. For example, you are doing a frozen semen breeding, breeding to an old sire with poor semen quality, etc. Then back it up on the last day with a live breeding so you don't miss on the entire litter. Especially appealing if it is a quality bitch's last litter.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 pm

KJ wrote:I know of a recent multiple-sired litter. All pups ended up being sired by one of the sires. I have heard this is pretty common where all pups end up being sired by only one of the dogs.

I really don't see much use for it. It really just seems like more hassle and expense for the most part. The one case where I think it makes sense is if you are wanting to "backup" a low probability breeding. For example, you are doing a frozen semen breeding, breeding to an old sire with poor semen quality, etc. Then back it up on the last day with a live breeding so you don't miss on the entire litter. Especially appealing if it is a quality bitch's last litter.

Similarly I've heard that its not uncommon to get a heavy imbalance, 6 from one, 1 from the other, etc...
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bwjohn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:34 pm

I was using hypothetical numbers to make the point. I would assume that the first male being breed would have a better chance at siring the pups given it was timed right. If timed weong the second may have a better chance. But i wiuld assume ine ir the other would sire most of the dogs.

Brandon
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Breeding