food reward

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

food reward

Postby Calvinator » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Is giving your dog a food reward upon completion of an event considered a reward or training? For example, I walk my dog through the heeling course and upon completion, I give the dog a food reward. Is that any different than a pat on the head?
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: food reward

Postby Dmog » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 am

I would imagine it depends on the timing of the treat. If given immediately after successfully completing the event or section of which would be reinforcing the behavior thus training. Afterwards it would be more of a reward and make the trainer feel good which will improve the bond and cooperation, sounds like conditioning...
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ANick » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Calvinator wrote:Is giving your dog a food reward upon completion of an event considered a reward or training? For example, I walk my dog through the heeling course and upon completion, I give the dog a food reward. Is that any different than a pat on the head?

If this is an event, it would be whatever the rules of the event call it. Another way to look at it would be to ask yourself why are you giving the treat? Does the timing matter? If you did your course and gave the pup a quick ear rub, and that's allowed, that's fine. Stop there. If you are doing a 'feel good' treat for you, it won't matter to wait until you are out of the ring, no longer under judgement. If you think the pup is going to shutdown and cease cooperating for the day... that's the other thing.
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:32 am

I'm just more curious to hear other thoughts or opinions. I don't want to give my thoughts as I don't want to sway someone's view(Not that it ever seems to happen). I have spoke with a good friend who is a senior judge. I found his thoughts interesting.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Don » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:14 pm

One way is working for obedience (doing it for you.)
One way is working for reward (doing it for their own gratification )
Two completely different mind set.
Don
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to NAVHDA