Woodcock Season

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Woodcock Season

Postby flitecontrol » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:55 pm

For some reason, the photo host isn't keeping the photos below in order. The greenbriar covered vegetation is what we were finding them in yesterday. I didn't bother hunting there today because I was by myself and the flusher is usually wrapped up in vines and can't shoot. Had three unproductive points before finally flushing a bird that got up behind a big tree with no opportunity to shoot. Saw where it went down and the dog pointed it again. Second flush was the same as the first; got behind a tree. It went back to the area we first found it, so we went to try and find it. The bird flushed wild out of range and flew out of sight. A short time later, the dog went on point according to the Astro tracker and I followed the arrow to find him. Once you get in the general area, the keypad indicates "Dog is nearby". I can't see the dog, but the arrow is supposedly pointing to where he is. I follow the arrow, and after going a few yards in the jungle, check the Astro. Now it's indicating the dog is back where I came from! I wander around in circles for several minutes and don't find the dog. Then I hear the bird flush. Frustrated, and with it getting late, I unload the gun, remove my hearing protection, turn off the Astro, heel the dog, and head for the truck. Suddenly, the dog goes on point. No need for the Astro now, he's right there! But I need to get my muffs back on and shells in the gun. Fortunately, the woodcock sits tight until I'm ready. Gives me a decent opportunity (no big trees!) and I fire both barrels. I can't tell if I've connected because of the thick vegetation, but I feel pretty good about the second shot. The dog must have seen the bird go down because he makes a bee line to it and retrieves it to hand. A good ending for the day.

https://www.snapfish.com/library/photos ... 7423579060
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 pm

FC, have you considered teaching the dog to flush on "hup"? I prefer to flush the bird myself, and usually do, but that is the best solution I have came up to how best to deal with encounters in extra dense cover when hunting alone. I can find a crease in the cover, then release the dog to flush. It has really cut down on the instances of not getting a good shot opportunity for me when I encounter birds buried up in a tangle and I'm by myself. I tried to post a video of it but I guess I'm technically challenged.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Good tip. I've been encouraging him to flush on command, but he's slow to do it. I think it may be because he was verbally corrected for bumping the first couple of woodcock he encountered. When encouraged to flush, he'll slowly creep in and eventually get the job done. I'd hardly ever get a shot when hunting alone if I couldn't get him to flush the bird. Even then, the little buggers seem to try and put a big tree between them and me, whenever possible.

But the fun is the hunt, not in the number of birds we bring home.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:11 pm

FC, that is woodcock hunting for me too, they like to put a tree between me and them. still fun hunting.
How do you cook your woodcock ? Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Drahthaar1108 wrote:FC, that is woodcock hunting for me too, they like to put a tree between me and them. still fun hunting.
How do you cook your woodcock ? Forrest

I give them to my son, and he usually grills them. My grandson says they're delicious. Other than smoking a turkey and scrambling eggs, I can't cook, and my wife wont try.
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:30 pm

FC, Thank you ,sounds like you eat out a lot.
the woodcock haven't showed up in eastern NC yet , Last January it got really cold ,had about 8" of snow, I have never seen so many woodcock, I hope they show up before the season goes out. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Poor choice of words on my part. My wife is an excellent cook, she just doesn't cook game. Her dad was a hunter and she got tired of the frequent family dinners of squirrel and duck. Apparently her mother wasn't great at making game taste good. I've had duck that was only fit to feed a dog and some that was delicious. It's all in how it was prepared and cooked.
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to Hunting & Firearms