Woodcock Season

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Woodcock Season

Postby flitecontrol » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Looking forward to next Saturday when woodcock season opens. My son has a lease where we got our limits in less than two hours almost every day we hunted last year, and I'm hoping it will be similar this year.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Woodcock Season

Postby Bigearl » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:18 pm

I’ll be there about 10 am is that ok with y’all?
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Bigearl wrote:I’ll be there about 10 am is that ok with y’all?

We might be able to work something out. :) My son doesn't get off work until 2 pm M-F, and we usually go when he gets off, but will no doubt be there on opening morning. Have you got a 4-wheeler? It's about 1 1/2 very muddy miles from the blacktop to the honeyhole.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bigearl » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:31 am

Boy if I had the time to jump three states I would be there in a flash. Good luck to y’all and hope to see some pics of the little doodles soon!
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:07 pm

FC, Sounds like fun and a great opportunity to carry a camera and get some photos of the action. I have very little experience hunting Woodcock. Had a bit of flight through here this past spring and we got 2-3 finds a day on our short morning runs for about 2 weeks. My sense is a guy is best off to be on the north or south end of their migration as the window of opportunity is pretty small for the folks in the middle states.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:38 pm

May not carry the camera the first few hunts, but will definitely try to get some good pictures before the season is out. Think you're right about woodcock hunting, and Louisiana winters a majority of the eastern population. With the relative lack of quail in this area, woodcock are just about the only upland game bird available. Don't think I've seen more than 3-4 other woodcock hunters, and they were on public land.

Chaps are a must; those buggers like dense stands of small trees, and there are a lot of blackberry briars where they hang out.
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Ours opened Saturday. I had one flush but spent more time looking for quail.

Real thick stuff though, couldn't tell if the dog pointed or not and he was only 15 feet away from me in ankle deep water.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Went hunting this afternoon and had many points, and at least two dozen flushes. My son joined me after I'd hunted about half an hour. He got his limit before I managed to take my first. I ended up with two after around 2 1/2 hours of hunting, my son got his three in less than an hour. This is a spot I found yesterday, and it's not the lease we hunted last year with so much success. Took a few pictures of my dog on point before my son joined me.

Edit. Well it looks like the pictures aren't loading after all.
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms