Looking for wingless, lost, quail

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Looking for wingless, lost, quail

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:51 am

On a recent Kansas hunting trip, my son and I got into a covey of quail. We both shot about the time the quail were flying into a row of cedar trees. I couldn't see the bird I was on when I pulled the trigger because it had just flown into the cedars. My son, who had a better view, assured me I hit mine and I asked if he got his bird. He said; "I shot both wings off of mine." And I responded "What?!" I walk over, and there are two wings on the ground near a cedar tree. The dog brings me a bird with two wings, with the top part of the skull shot off (lucky shot, I'm definitely not that good). Then sent the dog to look for the other bird. He went back into the cedars, but not near the wings. I was sure the wingless quail was somewhere nearby and called him back and made him search just that area. A minute or so later, my son tells me he hears a quail, and it's moving. I assume it's another bird from the covey, and keep calling the dog back. Finally let the dog search on its own, but he never did find the wingless bird. I'm wishing I had trusted the dog more, he probably could have found that cripple if I had let him search where he wanted while the scent was fresh. Always trust the dog, unless you can smell better than it can. #-o
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Looking for wingless, lost, quail

Postby orhunter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:51 pm

I sometimes smell worse than a dog.......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:56 pm

orhunter wrote:I sometimes smell worse than a dog.......

........................... zing... :) :multi:
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:36 am

orhunter wrote:I sometimes smell worse than a dog.......

I always smell worse than a dog, but the dog usually stinks more................................................................... unless I haven't bathed in a while. :mrgreen:
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:16 pm

I'd be inclined to think that your buddy didn't shoot the wings off it, he found a predator (owl? Hawk?) leftovers. And if he did, then there's not much left of the quail to find.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:00 pm

My son said he saw the wings come off right after we fired, and when we went over to where we expected to find his bird, there were two wings on the ground with fresh blood. In that dry climate, blood dries quickly. There were no other feathers, which a predator would have left if it had eaten the bird there. Given where the wings were severed, the wings were above the body when the bird was shot. We were both shooting steel shot, and the birds were pretty close when we fired. My shot was through a cylinder bore, and his was improved cylinder. My bird was missing part of the skull in front of and above the eye; not another pellet in it. Both patterns were no doubt very tight at that range.

I agree, it's hard to imagine, but that's what happened.
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:34 am

I am fortunate to hunt alot, September 1st doves through the March Snow Geese and then Gobblers in April/May. Seems like I still have to relearn the "Trust the Dog" lesson once a season somewhere along the line. That shot off wing deal is extremely odd indeed but if a guy hunts enough you will encounter some unbelievable stuff along the way.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:15 am

It sounds like a poof. I get one every other season usually on doves. If I forget to pull my patternmaster out after waterfowl I might redmist a few doves before I remember to let them range out a bit.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms